HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:05 AM
Joined Feb 2006
2,386 Posts
Discussion
really really sad, I have a $150 dollar battery and one cell died

I had the battery in storage charge and sitting and then I finally got a chance to use it and one cell is like 3.40 and the rest are 4.18 after I charged it. It would not take the balance charge so I charged it thinking the voltage needs to go up some.

ANyways is there anyone here that knows how to fix batteries, meaning turn it into a 5 cell or 4 cell??
sherlockshah is online now Find More Posts by sherlockshah
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:52 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,772 Posts
Yes but that will cost you around $10 to ship each way GROUND IF you are in the lower 48 plus a minimum of $15 for repairs with shrink and balance tap. Could be more if the failed cell is an inside cell (cells 2-4).

You may be able to recover this by charging that low cell seperately via the balance tap. Use an old servo extension to harvest the 2 male pins/connector/wire and keep amps at around 1 amp...
If you can't or it won't work...
Read up on this and see if you are comfortable to remove the cell yourself. It is pretty easy if you have the proper tools, mostly soldering iron/solder.
Use me as a last resort, have have fixed/salvaged/scrapped hundreds of packs.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:54 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,804 Posts
Reason why I wont ever pay lots of $$$$ for a pack anymore. Pack self failures aside, it's mostly my own doing to is going to cause it to fail and I rather trash an inexpensive pack and buy another then trash a more expensive one and be in this delima.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:28 AM
Joined Feb 2006
2,386 Posts
thank you so much for you response

I will go and buy a meter to see which cell is low, and try to charge it the way you guys are saying. IF it does not work, I will let you know.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:32 AM
Renton, WA
Joined Nov 2006
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlockshah View Post
I had the battery in storage charge and sitting and then I finally got a chance to use it and one cell is like 3.40 and the rest are 4.18 after I charged it. It would not take the balance charge so I charged it thinking the voltage needs to go up some....
If it was at storage charge (3.85v), how could one cell be 3.40v ?

I still check my in-storage packs' voltages regularly to catch cell discrepancies early.
vashon10 is offline Find More Posts by vashon10
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:44 AM
Joined Feb 2006
2,386 Posts
to be honest I think the cell went bad but since it was

in a crash they wont cover it. There are only 1mm to 2mm wrinkles on two of them but they are saying (xps) if you drop the battery or have a crash its out of warranty. SO i have to deal with it. IF I cant fix it Im thinking about making it into 5s. HOpefully it wont have to get to that.

I think they should make all lipos Hardcase, I rather add the weight but be safe from messing up a battery from a slip and fall
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:51 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,804 Posts
I have many pack that are ding and bruised and they all still perform as they did when new.

Bring the voltage pack to equal amounts, balance the pack either by balancing with charger OR what I suggested to you earlier. bring the voltage of that one cell back up to match the others. Then BALANCE CHARGE the entire pack.

Use it once and monitor it closely, check the temps, check for swelling and check the voltage. I have had many experience with pack that had gone below recommend low voltage and have had great success with them.

Start by getting a lipo monitor or volt meter and go from there.

If you are able to tell that the cells were off balance as such was this from the charger? what charger are you using? Will the charger not want to balance the pack? Select very low AMP setting on the charger .1 or .2A and balance charge the pack. May tkae for ever but should get you some results.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:54 AM
Joined Feb 2006
2,386 Posts
that may be the problem I was charging at 20amps

I have the Icharger 3010b 1000watt, these cells are rated to be charged at 8c.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:01 PM
Joined Feb 2006
2,386 Posts
this is the crash that happend by the way it looks bad

but i only bent the rear landing gear because it landed on its belly. THe fan broke and the batteries were not damaged. Like I said only few wrinkles. The other pack is fine and this one was too but for some reason one cell is out of wack. Here is my 12s 6500watt system in a F-15 I converted to electric. It would of went about 140mph

By the way since its expensive pack and I am able to get another battery that may have similar issues can someone here fix it for me, I will pay shipping and also some money for someone time I want to see this jet fly again. I have it ready minus this one pack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkQOCyOiuac
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:08 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,804 Posts
Bring it back to balance should be fairly easy considering the charger you have.

What does the charger do when you select BALANCE CHARGE at say 1A ?
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:16 PM
Renton, WA
Joined Nov 2006
318 Posts
Quote:
in a crash they wont cover it. There are only 1mm to 2mm wrinkles on two of them but they are saying (xps) if you drop the battery or have a crash its out of warranty....(
Based on that (crash/wrinkles), I really would have monitored the individual cell voltages while in storage for discrepancies.
vashon10 is offline Find More Posts by vashon10
Last edited by vashon10; Sep 23, 2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:21 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,818 Posts
Since you ripped the heat shrink off already (before even contacting us about this pack), do you see any leaking or smell a sweet smell. If you do, you have a cell that has been punctured.

If any Lipo does not "take a balance charge", then you should not attempt to charge it using other means. You need to determine why there is a balance issue before cranking up the amps without monitoring the cells! This is how fires occur!

Use a balancing device like a Blinky, or something similar to balance the cells. Yes, it will take a long time (with the voltage difference you created by charging the pack). Once the cells come down to match the out of balance cell, discharge the entire pack to a storage charge voltage of 3.75 per cell (nothing higher for 65C batteries). *IF* the damage obtained in the crash did not destroy one of the cells, then your pack will return to normal. The only exception might be is if during your unbalanced charging you let the other cells go above 4.20v per cell... this is where cell break down occurs, and why you can't leave Lipos fully charged for more than a few hours before using them.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:02 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,772 Posts
Quote:
in a crash they wont cover it. There are only 1mm to 2mm wrinkles on two of them but they are saying (xps) if you drop the battery or have a crash its out of warranty. SO...
WOW, you should have said that in post #1.
I guess I did not explain myself well enough in post #2 but I fix packs like this BUT not a damaged pack. You are on your own on this one. If it was mine, sure, but for others; no way as I can't monitor others' use of a damaged pack. A few wrinkles is a damaged pack.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:18 PM
Cromer,Norfolk, UK
Joined Nov 2006
2,505 Posts
Quote:
I want to see this jet fly again
Straight at someone standing on the runway again?
MCarlton is offline Find More Posts by MCarlton
Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:35 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,804 Posts
Ouch, no disrespect but after watching the video and reading the questions you have I would have to say it looks like this is too much model for you but hey its your money.

Just buy a pare of inexpensive brick of 6S 5000mah pack from HK and it won't hurt as much the next time you crash.