HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by burkefj, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:53 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,464 Posts
Discussion
V-2 ready to fly

My V-2 that I built 17 years ago is now home again. My friend I traded it to asked if I wanted it back, and I said yes. Had to cut the body tube in half to get it back in a roll bag on the plane, and took two trips but got it back. Sat in the closet for a year, till my buddy reminded me about the local launch. Normally I miss that launch due to being in Reno for the air races, but this year it was a week after. So, installed a coupler, reinforced the joint, added rail buttons, and re-painted the camo to repair the damage 17 years will cause.

It's ready to go with my mountainside 2.6" version and my helmet. This rocket made the cover of HPR at one time.

Here is a link to the second flight liftoff photos.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=134

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by burkefj; Nov 02, 2011 at 04:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:30 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,703 Posts
Awesome. I recently finished a V-2 for a friend who did not believe I could make one out of composite materials. It is as big as your smaller one there. I painted it with the "test pattern" scheme but I like your camo version too. Great Job.
Willsonman is online now Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:33 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,285 Posts
Nice job !
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:21 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,464 Posts
Thanks all, I really like the splinter pattern.

I have done a 5.5" version where I used a balsa cruciform and filled it with expanding foam and glassed it for a more accurate nose shape, then used honecomb aluminum fins, ttw, and it flew great.

How heavy did the small composite version turn out?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pictures from KSC
Old Sep 23, 2011, 01:08 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,703 Posts
5oz. It has not been flown yet. I used a central tube and wire cut pink foam pieces to sandwich around the tube. Shapped and amde a foam nose cone. Fins are balsa but corners are filled with light weight putty and sanded. Whole thing was given two layers of wowplanes' liquid sheeting. Turned out great.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 01:43 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,464 Posts
That's pretty light, I think mine with nose weight is closer to 10 oz, but flies on composite E's, also fins are through the wall basswood.

Yours should fly well on a good variety of motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman View Post
5oz. It has not been flown yet. I used a central tube and wire cut pink foam pieces to sandwich around the tube. Shapped and amde a foam nose cone. Fins are balsa but corners are filled with light weight putty and sanded. Whole thing was given two layers of wowplanes' liquid sheeting. Turned out great.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2011, 01:51 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,703 Posts
Yeah, the guy I built it for could not believe me when I told him how light you could make a compund-curved rocket. I proved him wrong.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 01:49 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,464 Posts
Well, had really good weather saturday so got out the V-2 to fly. First flight on a J was perfect, just hung at appogee and ejected perfectly, touched down nicely, everyone loved it. Second flight on a J-540 redline motor was also very pretty, however the ejection charge was about 2 seconds early and the wind had picked up more than we thought. The ejection caused a zipper and as teh rocket came down the wind picked up and it landed 30 feet too far away and wound up 60 feet high in some trees. We did a valiant attempt to get it, but a 40' ladder, tied off really well and a 12 foot extension pole couldn't quite reach it. We may attempt to have an arborist cut it out. However there were lots of great photos and as soon as I get them I'll post.

I did get one photo of me before the first launch with my german helmet, as I've found you just can't launch a V-2 without a helmet. The crowd gave me style points I will say that the rail buttons and rail worked flawlessly and I won't ever go back to launch rods if I can help it.

It did get me a bit back into the rocket thing, wound up buying a mad cow 2.6" all fiberglass Honest John, and then flying one of them the next day on an H-128, very pretty.

today I'm working on building new rocket only versions of my X-15 and A4B winged V-2 to make them as light as possible and will post progress on them. I've got all the components arranged and cut, now just to cut some depron.

Frank
RCG Plus Member