Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 23, 2011, 05:16 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2011
579 Posts
Discussion
mSR to mCP X transition

Horizon Hobby claims that the mSR is 'nearly as stable' as an mCX. I have not found it so. I have been told by them that the mCP X is much more unstable and difficult to master for someone transitioning from the mSR.

I suppose it must be true, as so many have said it, but I find it difficult to imagine.

Nomad
Nomad57 is offline Find More Posts by Nomad57
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:58 AM
Bathurst, NSW, Oztralia
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
I have been flying the mSR for 6 months. I almost crapped my pants the first time I flew the mcp x. Way more twitchy and responsive, with absolutely zero self righting tendencies at all.
If you find the mSR a handful, then I would hold off on the mcpx for a while yet.
rooni79 is offline Find More Posts by rooni79
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:58 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
I think you can "dumb down" the mCPX to fly more like the mSR. The transition from self-stabilizing head to any CP is a pretty big jump w/o softening the controls. Do you have a computer tx? and how well do you know how to use it. The catch is, it takes experience to set it up and that's one thing a new flier hasn't got.
MHO

regards,
Bill
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:04 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
I have the mCPX and a DX6i.. I have it way dumbed down much more than what most even think about.. 12% throw on E & A with minus 20% EXPO to speed the stick feel back up..

To me this makes it a very easy to fly heli.. Goes where you tell it to go but not so fast you get into trouble..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:43 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2011
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooni79 View Post
I have been flying the mSR for 6 months. I almost crapped my pants the first time I flew the mcp x. Way more twitchy and responsive, with absolutely zero self righting tendencies at all.
If you find the mSR a handful, then I would hold off on the mcpx for a while yet.

I certainly intend to. I just got the mSR two days ago, started flying it yesterday. I was just curious about what the mCP would be like. The fellows at HH warned me that it would be a handful, but then it occurred to me that they might have been saying that so that they could sell more. I read somewhere once that E-flite would love to have you buy their entire product line (no kidding).

But I'm certainly willing to take your word for it.

Nomad
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:47 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2011
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Vaca View Post
I think you can "dumb down" the mCPX to fly more like the mSR. The transition from self-stabilizing head to any CP is a pretty big jump w/o softening the controls. Do you have a computer tx? and how well do you know how to use it. The catch is, it takes experience to set it up and that's one thing a new flier hasn't got.
MHO

regards,
Bill
Thanks, Bill.

Yes, I was aware of that. I don't have a C Tx. I bought the mSR two days ago. It's my first RC bird, and since I didn't know how I would take to the hobby I didn't get the DX6i, which cost more than the bird. I did, however, go for the DX5e, since the stock Tx did not appeal to me at all. I may have to remove the 'click-stops' from the throttle, however.

I had rather hoped that this Tx would carry me through to the mCP X, but I'm no longer confident that this will be the case.

Nomad
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:54 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
I wouldn't think too far ahead. If you buy a CP now, chances are, you will have an outdated/obsoleted model when you're ready for CP. Things are improving by leaps and bounds. I'd hold off till you're up to it.
MHO

regards,
Bill
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:57 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2011
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I have the mCPX and a DX6i.. I have it way dumbed down much more than what most even think about.. 12% throw on E & A with minus 20% EXPO to speed the stick feel back up..

To me this makes it a very easy to fly heli.. Goes where you tell it to go but not so fast you get into trouble..
Hello Bob,

I may have to go that route when the time comes, if it comes. Too hard to say now.

BTW: You were right about the TBE. I've experienced a bit of that today. I wasn't quite sure EXACTLY what the term meant until I experienced it. Since I am practicing relatively low-level hover, my solution when it gets out of hand is to close the throttle and land. If I have enough room, it sometimes settles down if I don't make too many control inputs.

I seem to be able to manage, as long as I don't let it get started, sort of like the PIO I had troubles with back in the early eighties on a Hughes 300C.

I'm almost too embarrassed to ask if there is a technique to stop it in flight, since you so accurately predicted that I would be 'back next week asking about TBE...'

I had no doubt whatever that you were right, but the tab for a DX6i was just a bit steep for my first foray into this world. Well... Christmas is coming...

Best regards,

Nomad
Old Sep 23, 2011, 01:09 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
I can't speak for this model, but on my 90` heads I can fly out of it or counter it, if it's not too bad.
regards,
Bill
Old Sep 23, 2011, 01:13 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad57 View Post
Hello Bob,

I may have to go that route when the time comes, if it comes. Too hard to say now.

BTW: You were right about the TBE. I've experienced a bit of that today. I wasn't quite sure EXACTLY what the term meant until I experienced it. Since I am practicing relatively low-level hover, my solution when it gets out of hand is to close the throttle and land. If I have enough room, it sometimes settles down if I don't make too many control inputs.

I seem to be able to manage, as long as I don't let it get started, sort of like the PIO I had troubles with back in the early eighties on a Hughes 300C.

I'm almost too embarrassed to ask if there is a technique to stop it in flight, since you so accurately predicted that I would be 'back next week asking about TBE...'

I had no doubt whatever that you were right, but the tab for a DX6i was just a bit steep for my first foray into this world. Well... Christmas is coming...

Best regards,

Nomad
99% of the time TBE is caused by to much friction in the head/flybar area.. As your's is new some more flight time might make it better as it breaks in more.. But if you look back in the threads to 2009 you will see where we all had a problem with it at one time or another,, sometimes it comes and goes..

A little less letting it hover on it's own and more you flying it around will make it look like it has gone away.. As TBE is the flybar trying to fly the heli back to where it thinks it should be but always a little to late on it's commands.. So you just saying no,,, I want you to go over here will over ride it..

Now I'll sit back and wait for your pendulum post..

I should point out that I only was happy with the mSR till the Walkera CB100 came out.. It flies so much better than the mSR I gave up on flying them.. I should of sold you one of mine.

As far as buying the 5ch TX if you give up on the hobby you will win but if you stay in the hobby you will lose. Will not really the resale of the DX6i is MUCH higher than a 5..
Last edited by livonia bob; Sep 23, 2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 01:31 PM
Joined Apr 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
I had rather hoped that this Tx would carry me through to the mCP X, but I'm no longer confident that this will be the case.

Nomad
The DX5e will work fine for an mSR as well as for the mCPx. It is not as versitile as the DX6i etc., but it works fine.

You will have only the built in throttle and pitch curves with no adjustments. The trainer switch is uses as a throttle hold which you flick once to cut the throttle and 3 times to reactivate it. I moved my swtich to the other side of my transmitter to make sure my fingers got used to the way it would eventually be for my other helicopters.

I have a DX7 now, but started with the DX5e and as a result, I don't use much expo and have a fairly linear pitch curve. This is not good or bad, just what I got used to.

-Chocula
Chocula is offline Find More Posts by Chocula
Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:59 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Horizon Hobby claims that the mSR is 'nearly as stable' as an mCX. I have not found it so. I have been told by them that the mCP X is much more unstable and difficult to master for someone transitioning from the mSR.
I'm not sure "unstable" is the right word. The mCP-X is more "responsive", but it's quite stable. I transitioned from the mSR to the mCP-X and absolutely loved it from the first flight. But I could fly the snot out of the mSR on high rates outdoors before I transitioned. If you're just hovering and doing basic small circuits on low rates on the mSR then you may not be ready for the mCP-X, but if you're used to really giving the mSR a good wringing out on high rates then you will be very surprised at how much easier it is to fly the mCP-X in the same way. You really have to struggle to keep the mSR on line in fast forward flight (especially pitch-wise), but the mCP-X does it with ease.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:13 PM
Intermediate rc plane pilot
Joined Aug 2011
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooni79 View Post
Way more twitchy and responsive, with absolutely zero self righting tendencies at all.
It doesn't have any beginner mode or anything? Walkera says their flybarless fp and cp helis are self stabilizing due to their gyros. I figured the mcpx had something similar.
Pimpbaa is offline Find More Posts by Pimpbaa
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:20 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpbaa View Post
It doesn't have any beginner mode or anything? Walkera says their flybarless fp and cp helis are self stabilizing due to their gyros. I figured the mcpx had something similar.
It does have stabilizing but not like a 45 degree flybar heli has,,, you have to actually fly a mCPX not just tell it where to go and fight it to go there like a CX or mSR......,,, most just have no idea of how to set it up to be a gentle flier.. BUT you need a DX6i or better to do this..
Old Sep 23, 2011, 05:09 PM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
I'm getting close to making an mCPx purchase after learning to fly RC on an mSR. I'm pretty confident I can do it if I take my time, prior to fragging my mSR I was able to fly it around my house at a pretty fast clip, comfortable with high rates and the most sensitive head settings. My question is this: once I'm able to comfortably fly the mCPx how prepared would I be for a bigger heli? I've never flown a rotor-craft bigger than Dad's mCX2, and have only once flown a fixed wing bigger than a micro. If I step up in side I want to do it with a heli so I can continue to fly in my (basketball court sized) front yard.
Chris_F is offline Find More Posts by Chris_F