Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 23, 2011, 04:00 AM
Joined Sep 2011
53 Posts
Discussion
Upgrade ESC instead of engine AND ESC.

Hey guys. I'm quite new to this hobby and I'm enjoying every second of it.

I bhought a cheap plane that that was on 50% sale and I find very manouverable and very fun to fly. This is my plane.

I have 2 batteries, 1 with 1500mAh and 1 1300mAh. Can fly for 13 to 16 minutes till the battery is dead.

Now I'd like to upgrade the performance of the engine but I was wondering if I can upgrade my ESC 20a to 30a instead of buying a new engine AND esc?
The plane is so close to being able to climb straight up in the air, thats why i'd like to upgrade the performance just a litle.

I'm buying a new plane eventually but I'd like to try to upgrade this one first.

Thanks in advance!
Dynasti is offline Find More Posts by Dynasti
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2011, 04:56 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,500 Posts
If the motor runs cool now you way be able to run it at higher power without burning out. If you upgrade the ESC you will need a larger prop to get the improved performance.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Sep 23, 2011, 05:02 AM
Joined Sep 2011
53 Posts
Ah ok. Upgrading ESC does not improve the RPM? Just improves the strength of the engine? I don't know how to choose a correct propeller. All I know that the current blade measures are 7x? The information is not on the blade so I measured the length.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 05:58 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,794 Posts
DYnasti, welcome to RCGroups. The ESC does not "provide" current, the motor demands it. Changing the ESC to a higher rating will not increase power, the motor/prop combination will still draw the same current. You can increase the power available by changing both the motor and ESC or by increasing the prop size on your current motor. However, if you change the prop size without knowing the limits of your motor, you risk burning up both the motor and the ESC.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:35 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,451 Posts
If you're going to experiment, you need a wattmeter like one of these http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...eter&search=Go so that you can see exactly what amps the motor draws with each different prop. As has been said, you increase the power simply by increasing the prop size, but you need to make sure that the resultant increase in amps doesn't exceed the motor's, ESC's, or battery's spec.

With a model like that it's likely that they've picked a power system that's on its limits already, so you'll probably have to change the motor and ESC if you want to get more power.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:46 AM
Joined Sep 2011
53 Posts
Thanks for reply!

The motor doesn't get hot after flying for 15 mins, so I guess increasing the propeller size and pitch might do the trick. I'll give it a shot and feel how warm the motor gets.

Thanks!

Quote:
If you're going to experiment, you need a wattmeter like one of these http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...eter&search=Go so that you can see exactly what amps the motor draws with each different prop. As has been said, you increase the power simply by increasing the prop size, but you need to make sure that the resultant increase in amps doesn't exceed the motor's, ESC's, or battery's spec.

With a model like that it's likely that they've picked a power system that's on its limits already, so you'll probably have to change the motor and ESC if you want to get more power.
I guess feeling the ESC and the motor temperature isnt enough?
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:49 AM
UK, Sussex
Joined Jan 2009
568 Posts
Check that the ESC and battery aren't getting hot (as well as the motor). Don't leave it for 15 mins though, check after 30 seconds or 1 minute of flight. You should really use a wattmeter though, or you risk burning things out. Only make a small increase in prop diameter or pitch, and not both at the same time.

ps, also don't run your battery till it's dead. Aim not to use more than 80% of the charge. Especially if you're drawing more current than the original setup. This will extend the number of times the battery can be recharged without losing performance drastically.
Davee1 is offline Find More Posts by Davee1
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:50 AM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
What determines the airplane's power performance is a combination of the propeller and the speed at which it turns (RPM) along with the design and weight of the airplane. The spinning motor and propeller draws electric current from the battery through the ESC. The ESC is a rapidly moving switch which controls the propeller's RPM. The current rating of the ESC is a measure of how much current can be drawn through it without damaging it. Putting a larger ESC won't hurt anything. It will simply make your drive train a little more rugged. However, as stated above, it won't change the overall performance of the plane.

In order to change the performance of the plane, you need to change the propeller and/or the speed at which it turns. This may cost more than the plane cost in the first place because it might involve the entire drive train. I don't recommend you do this without knowing what you are doing and why. My advice is to enjoy the plane for what it is and, when you are ready for something more powerful, get a second plane.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:12 AM
Joined Sep 2011
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davee1 View Post
Check that the ESC and battery aren't getting hot (as well as the motor). Don't leave it for 15 mins though, check after 30 seconds or 1 minute of flight. You should really use a wattmeter though, or you risk burning things out. Only make a small increase in prop diameter or pitch, and not both at the same time.

ps, also don't run your battery till it's dead. Aim not to use more than 80% of the charge. Especially if you're drawing more current than the original setup. This will extend the number of times the battery can be recharged without losing performance drastically.
Thanks for your advice. I don't literally fly till the battery is dead but as soon as I hear the motor speed decreases I stop the engine and land. But I guess thats 90-95% so still not good enough I guess?

I bhought 4 different propellers wich are close to my current propeller. Same lengths but different pitch. I have no idea what pitch my current blades have so I'll just have to test it.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:18 AM
UK, Sussex
Joined Jan 2009
568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasti View Post
Thanks for your advice. I don't literally fly till the battery is dead but as soon as I hear the motor speed decreases I stop the engine and land. But I guess thats 90-95% so still not good enough I guess?

I bhought 4 different propellers wich are close to my current propeller. Same lengths but different pitch. I have no idea what pitch my current blades have so I'll just have to test it.
The battery will last longer long-term if you don't run it until the power drops off.

Be aware that without a wattmeter and knowledge of the maximum current of the motor, ESC and battery, you are taking a risk doing this, though it may be fine.
Davee1 is offline Find More Posts by Davee1
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:18 AM
Joined Sep 2011
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmw View Post
What determines the airplane's power performance is a combination of the propeller and the speed at which it turns (RPM) along with the design and weight of the airplane. The spinning motor and propeller draws electric current from the battery through the ESC. The ESC is a rapidly moving switch which controls the propeller's RPM. The current rating of the ESC is a measure of how much current can be drawn through it without damaging it. Putting a larger ESC won't hurt anything. It will simply make your drive train a little more rugged. However, as stated above, it won't change the overall performance of the plane.

In order to change the performance of the plane, you need to change the propeller and/or the speed at which it turns. This may cost more than the plane cost in the first place because it might involve the entire drive train. I don't recommend you do this without knowing what you are doing and why. My advice is to enjoy the plane for what it is and, when you are ready for something more powerful, get a second plane.
Nice explanation, now I understand how it all works.

The airplane costs $333 without the discount in norway and a new motor costs around $30, ESC 30a for about $25-35. It's not a chrisis if I burn my current engine as I am soon buying a new plane so.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:24 AM
Joined Sep 2011
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davee1 View Post
The battery will last longer long-term if you don't run it until the power drops off.

Be aware that without a wattmeter and knowledge of the maximum current of the motor, ESC and battery, you are taking a risk doing this, though it may be fine.
How do you know how much power is left on the battery when you're flying? I know now that with my 1300mAh battery lasts ~11 minutes, dependant how I fly thought ofcourse. 10 minutes feels like 2 minutes when I fly so I find it a litle hard to guess how much power is left on the battery while it's in air.

I will be cautious when I'm testing so I guess I'll do fine(I hope).
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:58 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,632 Posts
Couple of other little things. Going up in prop diameter will give you more pulling power (going vertical) than pitch. More pitch works better for more speed. Using a timer is a good gauge for how much batt. power you used. Set for 5 mins for instance. Charge the batt and it puts back in 1040, your at your 80% Of course, you need a charger that shows the ma. put in. Hope this helps.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:59 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasti View Post
How do you know how much power is left on the battery when you're flying? I know now that with my 1300mAh battery lasts ~11 minutes, dependant how I fly thought ofcourse. 10 minutes feels like 2 minutes when I fly so I find it a litle hard to guess how much power is left on the battery while it's in air. ...
The only way is to see how much power the charger puts back into the battery after you've flown. If your charger doesn't have a display, you can put a wattmeter in line between the charger and the battery, and it will display how many mAh go in. Ideally you should see a figure which is around 80% or less of the battery's nominal capacity, so for your 1300mAh battery your charger shouldn't put back more than 1040mAh.

You then use a timer to time your flights, instead of waiting for the motor to lose power. You find out what time will use 80% by trial-and-error -- start with short flights and then increase them until your charger is putting back about 1040mAh.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Sep 23, 2011, 08:07 AM
Joined Sep 2011
53 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I sadly don't have charger with a display or a wattmeter, I'll get a more advanced charger eventually.

Quote:
Going up in prop diameter will give you more pulling power (going vertical) than pitch. More pitch works better for more speed.
Thanks. Think I need a litle of both if the engine can handle it. I'll figure it out.