Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by timecop, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musgravehill View Post
timecop good work!

What about IMU algorithm? DCM, Kalman? Quarternions/Euler angles?
Do it have horizon drift when copter makes turn (centrifugal force appears and effects on accelerometers)?
I cant see any advantages and features for this price..
How good are your ARM asm skills? Then maybe you can find out.
I need to get myself a USB->CAN dongle (since I'm too lazy to tap the signal after CAN xceiver... though I should probably just do that) and see what format the IMU outputs data as.

Some preliminary testing I've found IMU spits out about 80? bytes of data at 1kHz, then 3 32-bit signed ints (these could be gyro values?) but I need to get this data in realtime and plot it to see the relation as its hard to compare by static analysis.

For some strange reason IMU lamely-encrypts the data, by XOR'ing its output with a random value decided at power up, so it's not exactly hard to figure out but I just wonder why they bothered.

IMU messages on the CAN bus take the most bandwidth, and are transmitted on channel 090 (lowest priority). There is other stuff on other channels (LED, GPS/compass), but I've not looked at them in detail yet. Only IMU appears to be scrambling data.

I find it kind of interesting that magneto is not inside the IMU cube - so there is a possibility the IMU isn't really doing any calculations and just outputs raw data and main controller is doing all the math. But then its weird that they would use a fairly large/expensive FPGA in the IMU .. Who knows. Maybe time will tell.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:32 PM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
TC, is any of the cabling shielded or is it just standard multicore type stuff?
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:57 PM
Россия
Joined Feb 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
How good are your ARM asm skills? Then maybe you can find out.
Sorry, but Im noob in ARM. Arduino\AVR only. I trying to mod my megapirate copter..

Quote:
Some preliminary testing I've found IMU spits out about 80? bytes of data at 1kHz, then 3 32-bit signed ints (these could be gyro values?)
May be it RAW data from IMU because its rate is 1kHz. Its quite high speed.

Quote:
but I need to get this data in realtime and plot it to see the relation as its hard to compare by static analysis.
I advise you to put system in critical conditions like very fast oscillation or slow drift, or with centrifugal force. You`ll see accelerometers work, gyros response. In home you`ll see IMU work without GPS correction.

Quote:
I find it kind of interesting that magneto is not inside the IMU cube - so there is a possibility the IMU isn't really doing any calculations and just outputs raw data and main controller is doing all the math.
You are totally right! Its like sensor board for ArduCopter, which send raw to main processor. It realize DCM algorithm with Euler angles with given data.
Delicate analog sensors like AXRS620 put in separate box. I think, that the main board collects raw data from IMU, GPS and magnetometer. Thats why it can correct linear drift by GPS, and yaw gyro drift - by magnetometer. Or GPS\mag data cross-sending through main board to IMU and processing there. Result returns to main board.
Musgravehill is offline Find More Posts by Musgravehill
Last edited by Musgravehill; Sep 29, 2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 04:09 AM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
MrC. cables- shielded or not? I cant tell from piccies

thanks
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
Old Oct 01, 2011, 07:46 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,392 Posts
TC,
I would guess that they have done proper factory IMU sensor calibration including temperature range calculations and this is where it is stored/used for accurate sensor output for the flight controller.
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index

Quote:

I find it kind of interesting that magneto is not inside the IMU cube - so there is a possibility the IMU isn't really doing any calculations and just outputs raw data and main controller is doing all the math. But then its weird that they would use a fairly large/expensive FPGA in the IMU .. Who knows. Maybe time will tell.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Oct 02, 2011, 01:56 AM
United Kingdom, England, Puriton
Joined Mar 2009
115 Posts
Hi Guys,
ive been trawling the rc forums to get a much information as poss on this FC as I have a Copter control board, fy91Q and a simple KK and Im trying to build a super stable hex for steady hover and this seems tobe the new controller on the block and this would be the most expensive controller ive bought by far and I cant really afford to spend a 1000.00 gbp only to find its not all its cracked up to be.
So would you guys say this is the board to use at this price or should I look at another that could be around this price range??
Your all doing an excellent job...keep it up!!!
eyeball is offline Find More Posts by eyeball
Old Oct 02, 2011, 03:08 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
If your budget is 100gbp, you should probably look elsewhere.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 01:06 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
The dji led is super bright. These would come in handy for led light projects. Any idea where I can source them. Part number any info?
hexa is offline Find More Posts by hexa
Old Oct 04, 2011, 01:21 AM
by Alary Design
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,821 Posts
Quote:
While not really spectacular, that's 5ms, and is probably more than enough for a stable platform. I was told anything below 25ms is acceptable for multirotor stability as things like motor response and etc are the biggest factor here.
That's an interesting comment from you because on Sept. 8th in another thread you said:

Quote:
Mikrokopter main loop runs at < 500Hz, 480-ish or so.
If this flies properly, I'll be surprised. So for the last motor in the order, throttle change command could come as much as 1.8ms later.
As far as I know 25ms is far greater than 1.8ms. What gives?
Photoship One is offline Find More Posts by Photoship One
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2011, 03:08 AM
not surprised.........
United Kingdom, Alford
Joined Jan 2005
90 Posts
Troll Alert !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CaLviNx is offline Find More Posts by CaLviNx
Old Oct 04, 2011, 05:35 AM
Gravity sucks :)
Indonesia
Joined Jul 2005
924 Posts
Yeah DJ is pissed because TC said his overpriced power distro board is uncool
ddmt is offline Find More Posts by ddmt
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:25 AM
by Alary Design
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,821 Posts
numbers are numbers guys. numbers are unbiased. my questions stands.
Photoship One is offline Find More Posts by Photoship One
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2011, 01:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoship One View Post
That's an interesting comment from you because on Sept. 8th in another thread you said:

As far as I know 25ms is far greater than 1.8ms. What gives?
People I won't mention keep saying how "amazing BL-ESC" is amazing because it will respond in < 150ms normal ESC responds in. So apparently adding 2ms on input is "bad idea". And yea, troll alert, I should just delete all the stuff since its MY thread ^_-
Old Oct 06, 2011, 03:40 PM
United Kingdom, England, Puriton
Joined Mar 2009
115 Posts
Hi timecop
With regards to my post about buying a quality flight controller and my price range.. I think you might have misread my post as I my price range is not 100.00 gbp but 1000.00 gbp...so how does the DJI stand up against other FC's in the range as I can pick one up tomorrow if there worth it?
Regards
Paul
eyeball is offline Find More Posts by eyeball
Old Oct 07, 2011, 09:25 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Eyeball Get a mikrokopter set up. It has more features and far better support now. You have the option of speaking to the holger the creator personally he replies to emails. Not like dji who seems to be cocky and thinks we the costumers must beg for new features, answers and email reply.
hexa is offline Find More Posts by hexa