HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2003, 03:01 PM
Barbados
Joined Sep 2003
407 Posts
Ace foam wings

Hi there, Im in the process of building a 50 slope plane .... should be completed next week or so. Ive designed it my self and really enjoyed the process, but Im starting to wonder if it will fly ........ hence the name. The question is are ace foam wings suitable for slope planes? Ive used a constant cord center section and tapered outer sections. My model will weigh about 22 - 24 oz and have a wing loading around 10oz ....... Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
crashbuilder is offline Find More Posts by crashbuilder
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2003, 03:57 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Anything will fly on the slope, given enough wind. I'm unfortunately not familiar with what Ace foam wings are, but I suppose that almost anything that's properly balanced with a 10oz./sq.ft. wingloading will fly in a decent breeze at a good slope.

Of course, I could be wrong! Good luck!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2005, 06:31 PM
TROUT OR THERMALS
Eureka, Ca
Joined Sep 2002
2,771 Posts
So? How did the test go?

The ACE FOAM WINGS are really thick for non powered flight, but should work.

Dean
steelhead is offline Find More Posts by steelhead
Old Jan 25, 2005, 07:05 PM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,572 Posts
There was a little slope plane published in RCM magazine a few years ago that was built around a pair of ace foam wings.

The airfoil is not really ideal for slope, but it didn't seem to bother the guy who designed the sloper that used them. He said the plane flew very well.
Brian Courtice is offline Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Feb 05, 2005, 02:25 PM
TROUT OR THERMALS
Eureka, Ca
Joined Sep 2002
2,771 Posts
Any idea what palne that was?

Dean
steelhead is offline Find More Posts by steelhead
Old Feb 05, 2005, 03:21 PM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Courtice
There was a little slope plane published in RCM magazine a few years ago that was built around a pair of ace foam wings.

The airfoil is not really ideal for slope, but it didn't seem to bother the guy who designed the sloper that used them. He said the plane flew very well.
I took an old Ace 'Mach None' kit (back when it was new ) and blocked in the nose and made it a sloper. It used the tapered foam wings Ace used to make. Flew pretty well but took a lot of wind considering the weight. Don't recall the wing loading, but it wasn't outrageously high.

Nauga,
Semper Gumby
nauga is offline Find More Posts by nauga
Old Feb 05, 2005, 09:35 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbuilder
Hi there, Im in the process of building a 50 slope plane .... should be completed next week or so. Ive designed it my self and really enjoyed the process, but Im starting to wonder if it will fly ........ hence the name. The question is are ace foam wings suitable for slope planes? Ive used a constant cord center section and tapered outer sections. My model will weigh about 22 - 24 oz and have a wing loading around 10oz ....... Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

One of my friends and me used to put that constant chord section added to the tapered ones of a ACE Mach None, and thay flew pretty good at the slope. But thinking back, there should have been more mods; bigger tail, or stretched tail moment, and some dihedral would have been good.

If the wing was vacuum bagged after the TE was added, it'd probably kick some arse.
The foil is fairly thick, but the camber is low. Should do very well inverted.

Have fun,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Feb 05, 2005, 10:58 PM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target
One of my friends and me used to put that constant chord section added to the tapered ones of a ACE Mach None, and thay flew pretty good at the slope.
Y'know, now that you mention it, I think I stuck in a constant chord center section too. I still have a couple of boxes of the wings laying around somewhere, if they survived the move.

Nauga,
living in the past.
nauga is offline Find More Posts by nauga
Old Feb 05, 2005, 11:32 PM
Winnipeg Intl, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
662 Posts
About 20 years ago I had an Aero Commander which used a constant chord center section with two tapered sections with ailerons. It was made for 2 .049's and lightweight RC but I never flew it under power.

On the slope it was a lot of fun in moderate conditions and was quite robust too.

Here are some pix of the real thing and you can see how it lends itself to the PSS style of sloper. I always thought the best version of this would the turbine AC690 rather than the piston ones shown here.

Lee
Radioguy is offline Find More Posts by Radioguy
Old Feb 06, 2005, 12:22 AM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,876 Posts
Yeah, that Commander is kewl! Didn't ericm do a Commander last year? I know his current projects are the Piper Cheyenne and the A-26 Invader. I'm mostly a warbird guy, but after seeing some of the stuff he's done recently, I may have to start looking a little closer at some of those civilian planes.

BTW, in that first picture, it looks like the guy is flying on one prop.

Russ.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Feb 06, 2005, 03:59 AM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauga
I took an old Ace 'Mach None' kit (back when it was new ) and blocked in the nose and made it a sloper. It used the tapered foam wings Ace used to make. Flew pretty well but took a lot of wind considering the weight. Don't recall the wing loading, but it wasn't outrageously high.

Nauga,
Semper Gumby
I built a coupla Mach None slopers and thought they were great with the stock wings. They were my first "hi performance" planes...then i made a pilgrimage to Pt. Fermin and left with my tail between my legs and my head spinning.
stu
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH