Joined May 2001
224 Posts
Question
loss of bind after binding another rx

Hi guys, just bought my first 2.4G Spektrum Dx5e
bound the supplied ar600 no worries
then bound some of the orange rx's from HK
result: lost the bind on the ar600
tested again (several times), bind the spektrum rx lose the orange rx's and vice versa.

is this normal?
regards
Bob
robertc is offline Find More Posts by robertc
Last edited by robertc; Sep 23, 2011 at 12:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:50 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
How about binding two receivers to TX at the same time?

That TX may be changing its ID code each time.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:48 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,042 Posts
I'm guessing that the transmitter is actually a Spektrum DX3e, which is a surface radio compatible with DSM and DSM2 but not DSMX. It's also compatible with marine protocol, which may add a further complication. The AR600 is a DSMX receiver but should be backward compatible with the DSM2 transmitter.

The DX3e does not have model memories so all of the receivers are binding to the same ID number. For its part during binding, the transmitter learns what kind of protocol the receiver uses (DSM or DSM2). Not sure what happens when it encounters a DSMX receiver. I would have thought it just went into DSM2 mode (the default) but maybe there's more to it than that.

I know for sure that there is no problem binding more than one receiver to a DSM2 transmitter (or model memory). But that may not apply to the surface transmitters if the receivers are of different types. And I haven't heard of anyone trying it with DSMX receivers. I assume you can bind two Orange receivers (DSM2) without problems.

No definitive answer but some interesting questions.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:13 AM
glen innes australia
Joined May 2001
224 Posts
sorry guys didn't notice the typo. tx is Dx5e

I have bound 3 Orange rx's without problem.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:25 AM
UK
Joined Aug 2000
1,082 Posts
Bob, having got the Orange rx's bound and working, and then rebinding the Ar600 and getting that working, the Orange Rx's should still work even though the Dx5e was last bound to the Ar600. Did you try that order?
David.
David T is offline Find More Posts by David T
Old Sep 23, 2011, 05:52 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,316 Posts
Binding is just the RX learning the TX code, if you are following the bind procedure properly they should all bind.

If its still fails I would try what was post about binding them at once. If that also fails I think its time for you to invest in the DX6i or higher tx.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 23, 2011, 09:10 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,491 Posts
When you bind a Spektrum transmitter and receiver together, the receiver learns the transmitter's GUID, and the transmitter learns the receiver's capabilities (DSM2/X, 11/22ms, 1024/2048).

If the DX5e is bound to an AR600, it's going to use DSMX.

Guess what - counterfeits and clones cannot do DSMX, so the transmitter is speaking another language that they don't understand. Genuine DSM2 receivers will likewise ignore DSMX transmissions.

A re-bind will be required when changing receiver types.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 23, 2011, 09:20 AM
Bowling Green,Ky
Joined Sep 2004
311 Posts
The DX5 does not have a memory it will work only on one receiver at a time. So YES everytime you change receivers you will need to rebind the receiver. Each receiver has a different GUID. Dennis
Dadstoysbg is offline Find More Posts by Dadstoysbg
Old Sep 23, 2011, 09:44 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadstoysbg View Post
The DX5 does not have a memory it will work only on one receiver at a time. So YES everytime you change receivers you will need to rebind the receiver. Each receiver has a different GUID. Dennis
Sorry but you are wrong. You can BIND multiple receiver to one TX even the ones with model match.

Receiver does the BINDING learning, they all can learn the same model memory. I know this from experience. The only reason my early post was not 100% accurate was because I simply assumed his DX5e was DSM2 only and never put 2 & 2 together when he posted having AR600 which is DSMX.

BUT with that aside if all your system is DSM2 you can infact bind multiple receivers to one radio and infact one model memory but of course this defeats the purpose of model match and is not recommended.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 23, 2011, 04:40 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadstoysbg View Post
Sorry. You've got it backwards. The transmitter has a unique ID number which the receiver learns. Receivers don't have GUIDs.

As long as all the receivers are DSM2, you can bind as many as you want. What we are discussing here is what happens when the transmitter discovers that it's not dealing with a DSM2 but a DSMX receiver (AR600). It immediately forgets about the DSM2s and hence won't work with them.

EDIT: Never mind. Freechip covered it. I should read the other responses before commenting.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 05:35 PM
glen innes australia
Joined May 2001
224 Posts
Thanks guys, my suspicion that the tx was changing to another protocol when binding with the AR600 seems to have been confirmed. It was the only thing that made sense when I thought about it. Guess I will have to put the AR600 away for the time being. The Dx5e was selected because I can buddy box with my existing JR, the Dx6i doesn't. I discussed the suitability of the Orange rx's with flyers at several clubs over the last couple of months. All users were happy with them and watching them in use confirmed what was stated.

thanks all
regards
Bob
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:46 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Sorry. You've got it backwards. The transmitter has a unique ID number which the receiver learns. Receivers don't have GUIDs.

As long as all the receivers are DSM2, you can bind as many as you want. What we are discussing here is what happens when the transmitter discovers that it's not dealing with a DSM2 but a DSMX receiver (AR600). It immediately forgets about the DSM2s and hence won't work with them.

EDIT: Never mind. Freechip covered it. I should read the other responses before commenting.
There is an exception to all rules --
Not all DSM2 rx can be bound at once
Take a JR 9303 channel ( 2.4)
- IF- the receivers are 1024 type and 2048 types - some will NOT bind at the same time -and work- The example would be a 9 channel DSM2 and a 5 channel Dsm2-
Why?
Each rx will try to hookup at it's default setting (1024 or 2048)
Try it
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:44 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
There is an exception to all rules --
Not all DSM2 rx can be bound at once
Take a JR 9303 channel ( 2.4)
- IF- the receivers are 1024 type and 2048 types - some will NOT bind at the same time -and work- The example would be a 9 channel DSM2 and a 5 channel Dsm2-
Why?
Each rx will try to hookup at it's default setting (1024 or 2048)
Try it
You're right of course. That situation slipped my mind. But not too many of the 2048 receivers around (at least not in foamies!).