HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:00 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
Yall should try running a lighter setup. Foamys light to be as light as possible. I fly with a smallish torque I got from 3DHS(tent sale), and a 1000 3s. My battery is probably back a little to far but it flies pretty neutral.
I even know someone who mill's his to make it even more lighter.

3DHS 38 EPP Slick Milled Indoors pilot Joe Smith (4 min 48 sec)
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:52 AM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,368 Posts
(I am going to add this here since I put it up in the other EPP AJ Slick thread.)

So I started a project that I have been wanting to do for a while. I have had these lights sitting around for about 6 months and I finally got to installing them tonight. I was so determined to get them put on and wired up that I lost track of time and should be in bed but oh well I got it done. The blue lights are very bright. This will be my first attempt at night flying and I am excited! I hope to fly her Saturday night. Here are the pics I put together.
AZAerobat is offline Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:00 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Lights look nice AZ!

Ok, so I added some up thrust to my motor and early results say it definitely helped with the inverted ballooning and KE coupling problems. I will take some pictures later and post, but I basically used fairly thin metal washers, not plastic spacers (the spacers were too big for a starting point and the metal ended up being enough). After adding the up thrust though, I did have to trim the rudder a fair amount off center, so I went back and added a little right thrust to compensate for this (one washer). Later I will take pics of my battery placement, and washer placements for thrust, to post.

Again, only had 1 run with no wind, and still had to have just a little rudder trim, but it seems to have seriously improved the level inverted flight problem, and KE coupling issue. It may still be slightly off, but it is not much and easy to compensate for with very minimal stick inputs.

If anyone else gives this a try, I'd love to hear the results and see if y'all found the same thing I did.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Feb 2011
235 Posts
Good news. If they had the 38" in stock , i would buy a new one now. Mine`s just about worn out.

Any other similar size EPP`s that is a worthy replacement? So i can re use my electronics that is. I dont know if i want to wait 1-2-3-4 weeks/months again like i did last time.
Ola. is offline Find More Posts by Ola.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:17 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola. View Post
Good news. If they had the 38" in stock , i would buy a new one now. Mine`s just about worn out.

Any other similar size EPP`s that is a worthy replacement? So i can re use my electronics that is. I dont know if i want to wait 1-2-3-4 weeks/months again like i did last time.
Maybe one of the Twisted Hobby's 39" sizes? Not sure if the motor would be a direct swap or not.

Sure wish 3dhs could keep the foamies in stock, they are awesome little planes.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:41 PM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
Lights look nice AZ!

Ok, so I added some up thrust to my motor and early results say it definitely helped with the inverted ballooning and KE coupling problems. I will take some pictures later and post, but I basically used fairly thin metal washers, not plastic spacers (the spacers were too big for a starting point and the metal ended up being enough). After adding the up thrust though, I did have to trim the rudder a fair amount off center, so I went back and added a little right thrust to compensate for this (one washer). Later I will take pics of my battery placement, and washer placements for thrust, to post.

Again, only had 1 run with no wind, and still had to have just a little rudder trim, but it seems to have seriously improved the level inverted flight problem, and KE coupling issue. It may still be slightly off, but it is not much and easy to compensate for with very minimal stick inputs.

If anyone else gives this a try, I'd love to hear the results and see if y'all found the same thing I did.
Thanks StormJunkie. I added a brushed ESC to control the lights it is much better now.

P.S. Here is my maiden video with my lights for those interested.

3DHS EPP AJ Slick Night Flying (3 min 29 sec)
AZAerobat is offline Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Last edited by AZAerobat; Apr 16, 2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:51 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
4,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAerobat View Post
Thanks StormJunkie. I added a brushed ESC to control the lights it is much better now.

P.S. Here is my maiden video with my lights for those interested.

http://youtu.be/ip_IDZXoOaE
That looks crazy fun
3Dplank is offline Find More Posts by 3Dplank
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:56 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Looking forward to getting some more night flights in with mine too! Need to get some practice before Nall, since all I will bring is my foamies for night flying. Between me and my son, the car will be packed and that's all I'll have room for.

Ok, so here are the pics of the thrust adjustment I made. The CG is now right where the little red marks on the underside of the wing meet the fuse. There is a little right thrust and a good bit of up thrust added. This really cleaned up the inverted flight problem I was seeing, and greatly reduced the KE coupling that was going on prior to changing the thrust angle. Interested to hear what anyone else that tries this thinks about the results. I was vary pleased!
Last edited by StormJunkie; Apr 16, 2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:58 PM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
Speaking of motor mounts. I am having trouble with RE mounting the motor (hacker) to my well used (and loved slick). After the screws pulled thru, I drilled 4 new holes and within a short time the same thing occured (full throttle hover pull out and motor seperates from plane). I went to the hardware store and picked up some longer 4-40 screws, washers and nuts. I secured the screws the the washers and nuts behind the foam. Now at over 1/2 throttle, I get horrible vibrations. I have re-enforced the area with welders and will try again when dry. Any have similar issues/suggestions?

I'm guessing the foam is destroyed behind the mount and needs replaced.
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:28 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
I would just try putting some welders glue on the screws when you put them in. Just a dab should do you unless there are gaping holes in the foam. I always do this right from the get go and anytime I pull the motor off.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:34 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,158 Posts
I'm still running with only 2 screws in some little torque motor I have. I don't know how the power stacks up against the hacker but it has plenty of power for sure. running 10x4.7 prop. 3s 1000
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old May 06, 2012, 05:46 AM
Middletown, CT
Joined Sep 2009
119 Posts
I've had my eye on this plane for a month or so. Been checking the 3dhs site because it's been out of stock and now it isn't listed at all. Anyone know if this is discontinued?
richh73 is offline Find More Posts by richh73
Old May 06, 2012, 10:25 AM
Joined Oct 2011
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richh73 View Post
I've had my eye on this plane for a month or so. Been checking the 3dhs site because it's been out of stock and now it isn't listed at all. Anyone know if this is discontinued?
I also wondered what happened to the flat 3DH foamies, only the full fuse 48in planes are listed in the foamies section, all flat foamies discontinued??

Pete
3D Peter is offline Find More Posts by 3D Peter
Old May 06, 2012, 08:18 PM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2009
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richh73 View Post
Wondering the same thing. Sent emails inquiring as to when it will be in stock. No response...
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old May 06, 2012, 08:24 PM
RC Keeps Me Sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,427 Posts
It's not the first time 3DHS dropped a great plane. Seems they want to focus on other airframes and give up on the flat profiles. Man do I regret selling the two new kits I had.
DanBo3D is offline Find More Posts by DanBo3D