NOT size, but brand was my question flt
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:12 PM
What?!? I didn't do that!
Orchard Park, NY
Joined Dec 2002
267 Posts
I'm using the APC 10x4.7 SloFly. The APC doesn't have a lot of flex so it works out great.
gremlin is offline Find More Posts by gremlin
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:19 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2010
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
I'm using the APC 10x4.7 SloFly. The APC doesn't have a lot of flex so it works out great.
Same here APC Slow Fly
fltekdiver is offline Find More Posts by fltekdiver
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:17 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Good deal, thanks y'all. Can't wait to try it out with the APC on it. The GWS was way too flexi for this size plane,m and it did not sit right on the motrofly prop adapter. Think that may have had a lot to do with my balancing and trim issues. Will report back.

Finished up the lights for her last night.

Used these high powered LEDs There are a total of six of them, but 4 would be more than enough. The LED's are surface mount devices, which can be a little difficult to work with if you have no experience, but not too bad. I've mounted them on protoboard which can be picked up at radio shack. Then just cut to size. I sanded of the copper everywhere except where the light and wires make contact with the board. There are two sets of three lights, each set will run on a 1s 200-250mah lipo (right side & left side). The lights are ran in parallel, and each of six legs has a 3.9ohm Carbon Comp resistor on the negative. With the lights having a forward voltage of 3.5 volts, it allowed me to use a very low ohm resistor so most of the battery power is getting used by the lipos instead of wasting a bunch to the resistor. The wire is 28 AWG mil spec stranded wire. Very durable and very light weight. The one thing I wish I had, and will get before wiring up another plane is a 28 guage wire stripper. This wire is excellent quality, but a real pain to strip without proper tools. An exacto knife just doesn't "cut" it It can be done, but is very time consuming and you will loose a couple strands along the way. Having a good solder station will make the job easier too. Also having a bread board for testing prior to installation is a good idea.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:05 PM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2009
451 Posts
APC on a Hacker A20-20L.
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:09 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Got a flight in today with an APC, and it made a world of difference. Not only was the GWS too flexi, but it wasn't mating right with the motrofly prop adapter. Much better inverted and level now. Will check KE on next flight.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:46 PM
What?!? I didn't do that!
Orchard Park, NY
Joined Dec 2002
267 Posts
Glad the APC worked out for you. Great job on the lighting, nice and basic but really gets the job done. Now you'll have no excuse to fly any time of the day or night.
gremlin is offline Find More Posts by gremlin
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:47 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Well had fun night-flying last night, but with the wind, it was just one of those nights I wasn't really in the groove...Crashed the 38" (only needs a new prop) and the 33" (just have to blue a small piece of foam back on the wing tip). Made for some cool shots though
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:27 PM
United States, VA, Berryville
Joined May 2010
369 Posts
I have a question, why does my 38" Slick want to roll out of a inverted loop? Is this normal or a balance issue? When inverted it descends and level flys level around 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. Also to note when in knife edge flite moves toward the canopy.
kellyzo6 is offline Find More Posts by kellyzo6
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:29 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,653 Posts
Sounds like your CG is a little far back.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined May 2010
369 Posts
How far should I move it foward at a time? 1/2 inch ok?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:10 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyzo6 View Post
How far should I move it foward at a time? 1/2 inch ok?
Keep moving it until it flies the way you want. End of story
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined May 2010
369 Posts
Gotcha! I'll keep moving the CG around. Thanks
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyzo6 View Post
Gotcha! I'll keep moving the CG around. Thanks
No problem. Please don't take my reply as being condescending--fact is, there may be an ideal CG range, but, given that the planes are individually assembled (and in various stages of repair), the CG for your plane might be different than someone else with the exact same plane. Of course, your flying preferences might also be different, causing more variation in ideal CG.

Try moving it .25" at a time.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Feb 2011
235 Posts
I`ve tried ALOT of different CG settings, and every time i come back to 4.5" from leading edge (where wing meets fuse). Must accept alittle climbing on both sides at high speed tough..

Both 1" front and back from this point, makes MY plane horrible to fly inverted.. Even 1/2" makes alot of difference.

But every plane is different.
Ola. is offline Find More Posts by Ola.