Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:56 AM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
BTW, I have my lipo all the way upto the back of the block of the motor, about 1" from that block. I'm using Gen Ace 1000mah Lipo
fltekdiver is offline Find More Posts by fltekdiver
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:59 AM
What?!? I didn't do that!
Orchard Park, NY
Joined Dec 2002
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltekdiver View Post
When ever I would hang it on the prop, I noticed the rudder moving side to side from the wind of the prop, I guess theirs no way to fix that, being it's EPP
I found the tail moving around a bit and to add some support while it was being tossed around in the van I followed the bracing in this picture that was posted by RC4x4 on the other 38" EPP Slick thread. Certainly not needed to get a great flying plane but it added a little extra support for a minimal weight gain. I only added it to the one side which I thought was enough.

gremlin is offline Find More Posts by gremlin
Last edited by gremlin; Mar 11, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:04 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
I found the tail moving around a bit and to add some support while it was being tossed around in the van I followed the bracing in this picture that was on the other 38" EPP Slick thread. Certainly not needed to get a great flying plane but it added a little extra support for a minimal weight gain. I only added it to the one side which I thought was enough.

Wow, never even thought about doing that, great idea

I'm going now to buy the CF rods for that mod, cause I'm definatley getting allot of wiggle on the back half in a hover

Thanks for the tip!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:59 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
FLT, and maybe a couple others...Can you do the pinch and lift then make a measurement from the leading edge at the fuse for where your CG is? TIA!
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
On the CG machine, I'm at 1"-3/4" to 2" behind the wing spar exactley
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:49 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Thanks a ton flt! Anyone else that cares to measure theirs for verification would be appreciated. I'm right in that same area flt, but when I got a flight on it Sun, I think it seemed a little nose heavy, and still wanted to climb just a little inverted. Not nearly as bad as it was though.

Trying to get my CG set so I can get the lights on it. I need to know where to place the lipos (I put them right on the CG so I don't have to adjust anything with or with out them.)
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
Lights? hmm, I have 480 of them coming in from HK for my Maxi Swift 56" Wing, maybe I'll have to keep some for the Slick
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:16 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Quote:
Lights? hmm, I have 480 of them coming in from HK for my Maxi Swift 56" Wing, maybe I'll have to keep some for the Slick
You should give some of these single high powered LED's a shot

Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
Crap, that looks GOOOOD!

Ok, where did you get them
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:58 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
It's a little work, but well worth it in my opinion. I also like the fact that this setup runs on 1s lipos. They are cheap, don't tax the power train, and since a 150mah lipo will only run 3 of these for one flight, I usually have multiple 1s's on there so even if one lipo or strand, or light goes out, the others stay lit.

Here's the set up procedure, parts I used, and pics.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:22 AM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2009
449 Posts
Quote:
On the CG machine, I'm at 1"-3/4" to 2" behind the wing spar exactley
At that CG, does it fly nose heavy, neutral or tail heavy inverted and level?
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:38 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Ran two packs through this morning, shifting the battery every which way. Was not thrilled with any of the spots, but that 1.75" - 2" behind the wing spar seemed to be the closest thing to neutral. I have yet to find a sweet spot between trim and battery placement that gives me a great neutral CG. I know it has to have one, but think it is a very small window. I also didn't try a lot of KE with that CG, so not sure how awful the KE coupling may be with the battery there. When I did try some KE, it had a severe tendency to want to roll out of it.

Will hopefully get to spend some more time trying to dial it in tomorrow afternoon, or maybe later today depending on weather. I've never had this much of a hard time finding the sweet spot on a plane before. A real PITA...
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:23 AM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2009
449 Posts
It would be interesting to see some different CG's and the percentages of mixing that are needed for knife edge for each particular CG.
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:56 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
So what prop are y'all using? Not size, but brand and on what motors? I think part of my problem may be that I am inadvertently getting a variable pitch. The GWS props do not sit well on the motrofly prop saver. It's like the prop would need reaming in order to sit flush on the motrofly prop saver. On top of that, with the flex of the GWS Slo-flys, I wondering if this just a bit too much plane for them?

TIA!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
10-4.7 slow fly prop