HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
Could it be the elevator and wing not aligned correctley?

When I was doing the plane this time around, I noticed when you do the CF rods, not to twist the airframe

1st time I got luckey, it didn't twist, but I wasn't even looking for it

This time I was 1/2" to 3/4" twisted, when you aligned the wings to the elevator, so I had to release the tension on the CF rod, until it straightend out
fltekdiver is offline Find More Posts by fltekdiver
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:55 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
don't think so, I was pretty careful to align everything on a flat surface with weights...Pretty sure it is a CG/trim issue and I just need to find the sweet spot.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
10/4, good luck, keep us posted
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:36 AM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
it does couple a little in KE, even with a nicely dialed in CG. I think I have a 6-7% mix.

I actually like this plane better nose heavy. My bet is to move the pack forward.
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
I'm having a hard time with the CG

I have everything installed, and trimmed, came in @ 16.1 oz , not sure where that is, heavy or not

The say 2"-3" BEHIND the wing spar

But their picture in the manual at the end shows the lipo way up on the nose, 2"-3" in front of the wing spar is how they have it pictured

I'm putting in the expo now etc, and setting up the rates, once I feel comfortable with the CG

I'll madien her @ 16.1 Oz ( No landing gear )
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:31 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,539 Posts
Flte, grats on getting yours looking a lot better in the tail section this time

C/G, I have to work on mine as well.
I thought I had mine pretty good, but checking at the field shows it balanced on the aileron hinge.
Honestly, if it didn't climb so crazy inverted, I'd leave it there. It was a hoot to fly.
Did my first tail touch, too. lol.

But yeah, I definitely need to move my pack forward.
With any speed at all, if trimmed level upright, iit climbs like a homesick angel inverted.

I've also either got a tail flexing problem, or something warped or not aligned right.
in KE flight, right wing up... it pulls moderately to canopy. Left wing up, it pulls HARD to gear.
Going to double-check for straightness on the vertical, and probably add a couple vertical and horizontal tail braces.
(I did that to my 34" Edge and it helped tremendously.)

If that doesn't fix it, heck, I'll just mix it out. It was still an extremely fun five batteries' worth of flying
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:43 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
I'll be glad when we find that sweet spot. It is still an awesome flying plane even without a perfect CG, but getting rid of that insane climb (mine basically flips back over to non-inverted pretty quickly) inverted would be really nice!
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
Storm, I blew up your pics, since you have no landing gear either, and looks like you have your Lipo also about right on the wing spar

I'm going ton start their

I was just setting up the throws, and mix, and the left AILE pushrod came apart So I need to redo it tomorrow afternoon, then I plan on madien it
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:05 PM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltekdiver View Post
The say 2"-3" BEHIND the wing spar

But their picture in the manual at the end shows the lipo way up on the nose, 2"-3" in front of the wing spar is how they have it pictured
( No landing gear )
I'm at 16 oz as well, no LG and the pack is way up front like the manual.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliprob17 View Post
I'm at 16 oz as well, no LG and the pack is way up front like the manual.
Ok thanks, I just glued the vlecro onto it tonight, but back by the wing spar

Tomorrow when i get home from work, I'll move the pack way up like you and the manual

I'm not liking the CG right now, ith it all the way back

I'm using Gen Ace 1000mah 3S
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:25 PM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
yep, add more velcro in front of it....you'll be going forward.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
Just did my maiden flight

I put the battery all the way up like the pic in the manual , and had no trim issue in the begging

I had a hard time it kept dipping on the wing, so I added AILE trim, didn't work

Brought it down, checked everything, and hand launched it again, did the same thing, so I added allot of trim to the rudder

Brought it back down, and said OK, I need to re-set the servos, and make a mechanical adjustment

Took it inside, and the AILE arm snapped where it meets the wood, and was hanging

Fixed it in 10 min, reset everything to 0, and waiting for glue to dry on the Velcro's

Maybe I'll get another flight in before dark
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:45 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
hope to get some flights in on Sunday and set the CG a little better. Need to get it done so I know where to place the 1s lipos that will run the lights.

Just got the LED's in today from Mouser...4 or 6 of them should really light it up well. Two is all I needed on the 33
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:28 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Well kind of breezy for the 38 today, but did get one pack through with it moved forward. Was better inverted, but still not thrilled with the CG/trimming. Need a calm day to run several packs through it and dial it in. Have a feeling that the battery is going to need to go right where my ESC wires come through...lol Going to have so much velcro on this thing by time it is all said and done; will be glad when we find a good CG and reference for CG.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:54 AM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
I flew mine yesturday for the first time. I got about 5 packs through it, ( bought 5 planes to the feild )

In the morning, it was about 6-7mph winds, and in KE , It was KE with coupling allot, I may have to mix that part

Hoovering was easy on this plane, hangs on the prop and goes into a hoover very easy, and that hugh rudder keeps it thier

Inverted flights I kept balloning. It balloned enough that it would end up pointing at the sky if you let it just point where it wanted to go

By the 4th & 5th pack I was flying in 12-15mph winds

I was supurised how well it flew in the normal winds here for Florida, but it was under powered going into the wind

I did notice the rudder moving around allot in a hoover

When ever I would hang it on the prop, I noticed the rudder moving side to side from the wind of the prop, I guess theirs no way to fix that, being it's EPP