Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:12 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
I just cut the whole bottom of the rudder away, like a 1/4" gap, and now I have full deflection side/side on the rudder

So I'll either need a CA hindge, or a small Robart or 2 in their
fltekdiver is offline Find More Posts by fltekdiver
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:14 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
I did not offset it at all. Can you either tell me or post a pic of where the stab is mounted? And are you cutting that off, or just the lower portion of the rudder?
Let me post a few pics
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
I put to much off set from top to bottom, is where I screwed up
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:22 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
Aww yes, Here's my next build, just took it outta the bag. I have the bigger brother coming in, to fly FPV also, and make it a night flyer

The AILE are all ready pre hindged
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:29 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Which is why I never wanted to start sanding that curved portion of the rudder. Not the point, and not giving you hell for trying it. We don't know what works til we try it.

Ok, so now for the fix. Pick up some CA hinges from your LHS. I doubt it, but there may even be an extra one in one of those four planes you have to build. Worth a check. Make sure that you get single piece CA hinges. Not the stupid ones with a piece of plastic sandwhiched between two pieces of fabric. Quick question, only the lower portion of the rudder is too stiff correct? If so, the CA hinge will work perfect. If the upper section is two stiff, then you will obviously have to cut that off and rework it. Could use a CA there too if you had to.

Back to the lower CA hinge. Cut a vertical slit in the center of the lower rudder and the center of the lower fuse. (Go back and reference my pics.) Since rudder/stab/fuse are all installed, you will have to bend the rudder a little to get it in there. Once in there, make sure that rudder is still lined up from top to bottom. Tape, use hobby knife, pins or something to hold them in line. Lay on it's side and put two (or one if your thin CA comes out like mine...lol) drops of THIN CA on it. Let dry and rudder is good to go! If it is too stiff (mine was because of that plastic sandwhiched POS hinge I used, then you can cut half the hinge out).

Did any of that make sense?
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:17 PM
What?!? I didn't do that!
Orchard Park, NY
Joined Dec 2002
267 Posts
fltekdiver, the rudder isn't going to work unless you get the top and bottom hinge lines lined up together. With your top hinge line as far forward as it is you are going to have a difficult time getting things lined up as you would be in the clearance area for the elevator. You would almost be better removing the vertical stab and building it back up with the extra EPP that came with the kit to get the hinge line straight.
gremlin is offline Find More Posts by gremlin
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:20 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Off set hinge should work ok as long as it's not rubbing on the fuse. The CA hinge would bridge the gap on the lower section. At least I think it would. My hinges are offset slightly, and I think that is actually part of the design.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:30 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
Off set hinge should work ok as long as it's not rubbing on the fuse. The CA hinge would bridge the gap on the lower section. At least I think it would. My hinges are offset slightly, and I think that is actually part of the design.
No, the intended design is for you to lay a bevel on the bottom portion of the rudder basically in opposition to the bevel on the upper vertical stab piece.
Think of it as one hinge... not two. You should be able to draw a line through the hinge from top to bottom when it's correct.

Here's a pic of mine, from the righthand side, with the elevator deflected down so you can see it clearly.
One of those things that would've been nice if it was pre-cut for you... but it wasn't all that hard. Just took a bit of thought.
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by C_Watkins; Feb 19, 2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Edited to add a picture of the other side.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:49 PM
Orchard Park, NY
Joined Dec 2002
267 Posts
An offset hinge will not work with the rudder being one piece. You end up with two different pivot points and it will bind like crazy. Just cut one out on a piece of paper and you can see it won't work. You may get away with a very slight offset as the foam will give a bit but if you look at the offset fltekdiver has, it's not going to work without major surgery.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:26 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Yeah, I see what you're saying. His upper hinge does have to be lined up with the back of the fuse, but the gap on the lower section can be compensated for by placing a CA hinge.

Sorry flt, does look like the stab and rudder will have to come off. Once you get it flying you will love it though!

The other option would be to cut just the rudder off and install CA hinges on the top and bottom. Basically create a larger gap on the upper section which would reduce the gap on the lower. That actually may be the easiest thing to do. Short of cutting new foam parts.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:29 PM
Orchard Park, NY
Joined Dec 2002
267 Posts
I don't think all new foam parts are needed. It actually shouldn't take to much work to get things the way they should be. If it were mine, I would remove the vertical stab and then use Welders glue to add some of the spare foam to the front of the curve to bring the hinge line back to where it should be. Then make some clean cuts on the bottom of the rudder and add some foam to build it up to where it was originally. Again use some spare foam to get a clean edge on the back of the fuse and then trim so the parts look like the pics C_Watkins added. The great thing with EPP and Welders is you won't even notice the pieces you added once it's dry.

There is nothing wrong with Welders hinges. I have a ton of flights on my Extra and am starting to add up the flights on my Slick and the hinges have held up fine. This is such a fun plane that I hope you can get it working. Take a fresh look at it in the morning and you'll see that without too much work you should be good to go.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:52 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Just for the record, I have nothing against welders hinges. I agree they work great...On flat, level surfaces that mate evenly and closely. Except for the lower rudder, every hinge on my 38 is a clean welders hinge. I even installed the floss as recommended. They work great.

Now on the rudder, with no precut bevel, the 2 section hinge, and couple that with the thinner foam...It's a real pain to get it perfect. In this case, CA hinging the lower section of rudder makes those variables much easier to manage.

As for flt, building back up with extra foam (I'd trace and cut new ones) is an option...But the CA hinges up and down the whole rudder are likely the fastest and easiest fix.

Like you said, this plane is a blast to fly...It's just a shame the rudder was cheesed.

Did you offset your rudder/stab to the left side of the fuse?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:52 AM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
Thanks all for your help. Yup, I screwed that one up

I'm going to try to cut everything off back their first tonight, and rejoin everything

I removed allot of foam to all ready, so I'm not sure how it will turn out

Worst case, Is I'm out $100 bucks for a new kit, I'll keep everyone updated with some pics when I try it tonight after work
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:13 AM
Orchard Park, NY
Joined Dec 2002
267 Posts
My rudder is down the middle, just like the manual shows. I did the hinge at the bottom of the rudder just like the others, I just used a 90 deg. angle to spread the Welders.

fltekdiver, good luck with whatever you do. Believe me, it will be worth it once you get this plane flying. I'm finding I'm putting as many flights on this one as my other planes combined. I just added LED lights so I can keep flying it when it gets dark.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:40 AM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,539 Posts
Yeah, fltekdiver, it's just foam. It's still not too bad. Plenty of extra foam bits in the kit, I'd think, for a repair.
Looking at what's leftover in my own, I'd bet you could fix that just with scraps, and not having to use the spare nose parts.
A bit of Sharpie/ink pen work, and done. Heck, or not... nobody's gonna notice it while it's flying, anyhow

Gremlin, I still don't have a nightflyer, even though I have enough LED's for two, now.
I may make this one my first. I dunno why I keep buying these lights, if I'm never going to use them
Anxious to get mine in the air. I setup all the controls last night, and I'm down to final mounting of motor/ESC/recvr to go fly.
Well, and battery. I generally slot the upper fuse on my foamies. Probably do the same on this one.
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member