HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:06 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
I've never build an EPP before. I just started looking over the manual and am watching the 33" build videos now. I'd say it'll take me about 8hrs over a couple days. But no worries, it'll be a great throw in the trunk fly anywhere plane when it's done!
I couldn't belive how much work the 33" was when I did mine. I was going to give up on that one, It was allot of work for that plane
fltekdiver is offline Find More Posts by fltekdiver
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:09 PM
RC keeps me sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,383 Posts
I wouldn't use anything other than Welders or FoamTac.
EPP is unique and those glues really bond to it. When done right the EPP will break and the glue joint will hold. One other thought is hot melt glue gun, it's strong flexible and will also hold to a breakage. I've built many EPP planes with hot melt glue, it is a tad heavier but literally welds the pieces to each other due to the heat/glue penetration.
microDan is online now Find More Posts by microDan
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:12 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Yeah, EPP's are definitely a lot more work. Especially seeing as how I'm double coating (very thin coats) everything and adding a little extra floss at hinges. But they are fun to fly and make great trunk planes for fly most anywhere.

Still looking for some good quality motor recommendations and what differences I can expect in performance from them?

Servos as well. Is there a good Futaba servo that is about the size of a HS45? Just seems like 65mg's are overkill for this bird?
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:17 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
4,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microDan View Post
I wouldn't use anything other than Welders or FoamTac.
EPP is unique and those glues really bond to it. When done right the EPP will break and the glue joint will hold. One other thought is hot melt glue gun, it's strong flexible and will also hold to a breakage. I've built many EPP planes with hot melt glue, it is a tad heavier but literally welds the pieces to each other due to the heat/glue penetration.
+2 Foam tac by beacons is good if you have a hobby shop by you
3Dplank is online now Find More Posts by 3Dplank
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
I don;t see any build video's for the 38" Slick, I did see their manual says to follow the 33" build, which I built all ready before
Nobody has done a 38" build video yet?
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:06 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
No video yet that I can tell.

What motor you going to use flt?
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
Actualley, as the glue is setting on the AILE, I'm going motor and servo shopping now
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:29 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltekdiver View Post
Actualley, as the glue is setting on the AILE, I'm going motor and servo shopping now
Yeah, I've been browsing around myself. But not sure what will be most compatible and give best performance. Let me know what you see!

Been looking at these, as pricey as the HS-65's, digital but not MG...But if I strip the gears at some point, I can always add metal gears for this model correct?

Was also looking at some of the motrofly motors, but I just don't know enough to be able to really select a motor.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
10/4, I just went to Scorpions website, didnt see anything I was pleased with, motofly is a great motor also, let me go check those to
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:41 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
To me it seemed like motrofly either had a little to little motor, or a little too much motor in their size ranges. Not sure if I was reading the chart right though and making proper comparisons?
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:49 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
To me it seemed like motrofly either had a little to little motor, or a little too much motor in their size ranges. Not sure if I was reading the chart right though and making proper comparisons?
This looks pretty close :

http://www.subsonicplanes.com/upload...1150__page.pdf
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
This one seems pretty tempting to !

http://www.flydma.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=277
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:18 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Like the looks of the 2215!. What about the extra long shaft on that DMA? And what do you know about them?

Thanks for the help diver!
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:28 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
found this one on page 5 here, from Khen, rcbuilders.com, its less then $16 bucks !

http://www.rcplanebuilder.com/index....products_id=56
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
I'm in the middle of building 2 heli's, so after 2+ hours of reading about motors etc for the plane, I just went with their recommneded set up

I ended up going with (4) Hitec 65MG servos
Hacker a20-20l motor
Hacker x20 Pro ESC

I have everthing just about glued up, I'm upto glueing the whole plane together