SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 15, 2003, 02:05 PM
Callsign: Flyby
Pacific, WA
Joined Aug 2003
437 Posts
Ball in swash mod

Where do I get a kit to do this? I have a Hummingbird. Is the kit just plug and play? Take out the old install the new type of thing?
thorine is offline Find More Posts by thorine
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2003, 03:53 PM
Razy Crandom Guy
Millville, New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined Sep 2001
281 Posts
Try Sean at www.helihobby.com and then there is also www.precisionmodelproducts.com

I have done business at both. Sean's customer service is absolutely top notch. I use the other site as a backup when Sean is out of stock and I need a heli "fix" quickly.
WyndShadow is offline Find More Posts by WyndShadow
Old Sep 15, 2003, 04:45 PM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
Here is another place to get a ball-in-swash mod. His price is less than Helihobby, and he only charges $2 shipping. I haven't ordered from him, but have seen good reports in other posts.
http://www.geocities.com/pierreholl...heliprohome.htm

Wherever you get the mod, it is not just a drop in. You have to remove the swash, and drill out the opening, so the ball and race will fit. You need to do this very carefully. It is well worth the effort, and makes a very significant improvement in the precision of the controls.

Jeff
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
Old Sep 15, 2003, 04:48 PM
Pacific, WA
Joined Aug 2003
437 Posts
I would love to do it, but it sounds like something I would mess up.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 09:40 PM
Joined Oct 2002
349 Posts
patience and do not use too much strenght =p
Glenn Cain is offline Find More Posts by Glenn Cain
Old Sep 15, 2003, 09:45 PM
Razy Crandom Guy
Joined Sep 2001
281 Posts
Thosine, I thought the same, but actually, if you are careful and keep all this centered, it's not hard. The real trick is not to get any CA in the ball. I dipped a pin in some thin CA and then very very VERY carefully held the swash to the pin with the pin at an upward angle, to keep the drop near my finger. Got it all lined up and then dipped it onto the joint. Just make sure you are not on the ball, but on the race to swash line.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 09:46 PM
Razy Crandom Guy
Joined Sep 2001
281 Posts
OH YEAH, don't forget to make the opening big enough so that the ball rotates freely, without any tension and binding. I used a drill bit by hand that was almost big enough, and then sanded to get a smooth opening.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 11:52 PM
Pacific, WA
Joined Aug 2003
437 Posts
You make it sound do-able, but you drilled at steel ball by hand? That sounds ridiculous. And I have no idea what a race is. Did the tourtise win, or the hare?
Old Sep 16, 2003, 01:56 AM
Sydney, Down under
Joined Aug 2003
1,080 Posts
i dont think he drilled the ball but where the ball assebly fits into the chopper
Supersix is offline Find More Posts by Supersix
Old Sep 16, 2003, 10:56 AM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
Thorine,
What you drill is plastic out of the middle of the swash, that is why you do it by hand. There is already a hole down thru the middle of the swash, you just enlarge it. Here is a picture of the ball and race. The ball is the shiny thing in the center, and the race is the black plastic around the ball. http://www.helihobby.com/commonImages/swashBall.jpg

Jeff
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
Old Sep 16, 2003, 11:24 AM
Oliver BC Canada
Joined Nov 2002
189 Posts
If you do get it make sure you put it someplace safe, they are very small and easy to lose.
I misplaced mine and nearly ordered another one before I finally found it again.

Looking at that picture link that jeff555 posted, it seems to be a bit different then the one I had. Mine had a bit of a tapered towards the bottom which made it a lttle harder to drill out the hole for.
Here is a pic of mine before I installed it http://www.southokanagan.biz/moreHBp...SWASH.JPG.html
and one of it installed http://www.southokanagan.biz/moreHBp..._body.JPG.html
Randall is offline Find More Posts by Randall
Last edited by Randall; Sep 16, 2003 at 11:31 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 11:42 AM
Pacific, WA
Joined Aug 2003
437 Posts
I understand now! You guys rock!
Old Sep 17, 2003, 08:27 PM
Razy Crandom Guy
Joined Sep 2001
281 Posts
Mine had a little shelf-type-thingy at the top of the race, so I just drilled till it sat in there, but not too tight. It's important to make sure your hole is enlarged to a point where there is no binding or tightness, otherwise the servos work harder. I held the drill bit in my hand, then used sand paper to make the hole bigger by very tiny increments.
Old Jan 31, 2004, 09:31 AM
Want to Fly, Have to Work
Orlando, FL
Joined Feb 2003
990 Posts
Randall

Thanks for posting the picture of your heli with the swash ball mod. I just bought one from Helihobby and couldn't figure out how to install it (no instructions provided), but your picture and some of these threads made it clear.

I also upgraded to a Lipo battery pack and couldn't figure out how to place the battery far enough forward to make the CG right since the Lipo is so much lighter than the stock batteries.

I see in your picture how you rubber banded the Lipo to the two front carbon fiber bars. I will do mine the same.

Thanks

-Beerbatter...
BeerBatter is offline Find More Posts by BeerBatter
Old Jan 31, 2004, 09:51 AM
Rogers, MN. USA
Joined Mar 2003
593 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeffs555

http://www.geocities.com/pierreholl...heliprohome.htm
For posterity (in the event anyone ever searches), that link should be http://www.geocities.com/pierreholli...eliprohome.htm.

I'll also throw in a link to http://www.slyshobbyden.net/ though I've never ordered from them and know nothing about them.
MondoMor is offline Find More Posts by MondoMor