HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:00 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,884 Posts
Hi Guys

Two weeks to go and Sparks has finished his "rhubarb and custard" 2X Raven, so that makes 11 out of eighteen entries finished. Hoping a few more of you can manage it. I THINK I have worked out how to put images of each model up on the poll thread when I post it, we'll see if I have got it right at the end of the month!

I've been thinking about a follow-on build off. The two leading contenders seem to be either another manufacturer specific one, the favourite here being Keil Kraft, or one for models which were designed as radio control types originally, with a cut off date of, probably, pre-1965. Personally I favour the Keil Kraft theme one with a finish date of the end of the year, and there is certainly plenty of choice of models there, but if anyone has any views I would be happy to hear them before deciding. Or it may be that no one is interested, in which case we won't bother!!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:46 AM
Mt Evelyn, Melbourne, OZ
Joined Dec 2008
650 Posts
KK definitely.
I'll be there.
Warren B is online now Find More Posts by Warren B
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:36 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,884 Posts
Thanks Warren!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:07 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
KK for me! It'll give me an excuse to electrify a KK Gipsy/Gypsy
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:12 PM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,642 Posts
Quote:
in which case we won't bother!!
Oh yes we will George

A Keil Kraft build-off is fine by me. As far as I know they existed from 1946 until 1979 so I assume anything in that period will be eligible. Most of their kit plans seem to be freely available. Although I didn't build many of their kits as a kid, I do remember having a Gaucho and a Caprice and my first R/C model was the inevitable Super 60 so I've got some catching up to do on their extensive range

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:20 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
I always liked and had success with Mercury models..but KK or anything else would be fine for me. Its all good.
and to add further complication...a Vic Smeed tribute build might be good!
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:30 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks59 View Post
I always liked and had success with Mercury models..but KK or anything else would be fine for me. Its all good.
and to add further complication...a Vic Smeed tribute build might be good!
sparks
Seeing as I have a KK Senator kit, bought at Old Warden circa 1990 so hardly 'genuine vintage', and a PDF print-outs of the 'Chatterbox' to save a gen-u-wine copy of the Aeromodeller freebie I've had for years, I second Sparks as above!

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:35 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,881 Posts
The idea of a Vic Smeed tribute build is great! I guess a Shereshaw tribute build would be a bit daunting?
owlsabie is offline Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:00 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlsabie View Post
The idea of a Vic Smeed tribute build is great! I guess a Shereshaw tribute build would be a bit daunting?
Well, I DO have that half-A sized Shereshaw Mercury kit....

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:12 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,642 Posts
Just had a good look through the old Keil Kraft kit range and now I know why I didn't build many of them as a kid - to me, with one or two exceptions, they are all a bit ordinary and uninspiring and not a patch on the Frog range Sorry if that offends any KK enthusiasts.

All I could suggest for the next buildathon would be perhaps something like "BritKits" to cover KK, Veron, Mercury and all the other smaller outfits around in the 50s and 60s. Another possibility might be "BritPlans" to cover the wide variety of designs published in Aeromodeller and Model Aircraft during the same period.

Don't know really - I'll just leave it up to George to set the challenge

Quote:
I THINK I have worked out how to put images of each model up on the poll thread
I see there is something called a Test Forum where you can try out things like this. It's listed under Support Forums near the bottom of the Forums list. Never used it myself but sounds useful.

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Apr 17, 2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:32 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
I 'found' my Senator kit yesterday, while looking for something entirely different!

So that's a KK element taken care of.

When I was a kid, one tended to buy whatever was on sale at a model shop accessible by bus! Thus most of the models I never finished were KK - FROG wasn't popular in Hull model shops, so though I was vaguely aware of them, I don't recall any being stocked by the shops I could reach.

I suppose now, parents would load the child into a large converted builder's truck and drive offspring to whatever store it had found on its iSpendPhone

In the meantime, I actually have a set of Chatterbox plans in build-able condition. They're taped up from printouts of the plan from the plans thread up top of hereabouts, and have checked out fine against my original Aeromodeller full sized freeby plan. As I've always had this urge to build a Chatterbox, at some point, balsa will be cut and, if needed, I'll wait for the build-off to catch up, or not

The plan and one page build article caused a little head-shaking! The model is built like the proverbial stoutly built external self-contained restroom, while the builder is left to figure out a few minor tricks, like fitting a radio as per the prototype, themselves. The radio fit drawn on the plan was, best I can figure, never actually flown...

On the woodwork side, the mainspars are the same size and material as I used on my latest sports aerobatic design - 52" span, 600W into a model aimed at 60oz RTF.

Suspect mine will look just the same as the plan on the outside Reading comments hereabouts, it will have an elevator and the motor you won't be able to see in the nose, unlike the prototype's diesel, will have speed control. As to weight, am aiming for the figures quoted before fitting the GG radio, but as a ready to fly weight.

Thread will start when I have some wood cut. Which could be soon, unless the 2X Erie Daily Times etc. low winged former rubber model takes over the board next...

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:54 AM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,321 Posts
I have to agree that in general, the KK range was (is) pretty uninspiring.

Seems to me that Vic Smeed would be a good way to go. There's a good variety of designs, all (or most) are known to fly well, and plan availability is pretty good.

It would also be a nice tribute to that fine gentleman, and perhaps particularly appropriate in view of his recent passing.

As long as Tomboys are NOT ALLOWED.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:26 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,884 Posts
Ummm. Quite a range of options being floated here. It is a bit like the situation where you ask 100 economists what to do about the world's economic woes and get 100 different answers!

The idea of Vic Smeed designs has considerable appeal, the only downside for me is that very many of the designs are high wing cabin models (yes I know there are exceptions like the Sea Nymph and Pushy Cat etc.) which might make the entry a bit "samey". I am tempted though as I have a personal urge to build another Paageboy, his 4 foot seaplane the "Nirvana" and the Sea Nymph.

I still like the idea of KK and don't fully agree with the views expressed about the restricted range, especially if you consider scaling up options and control line conversions like the Spectre.

Since the majority of designs which appear in the annual Build Off are U.S. in origin, I would like to keep this one for British designs (even if some of them, like the Falcon and even the revered Junior 60 (the wing is pure Simplex) were close copies of American models) so RFJ's suggestion of one for "Britkits" has some appeal.

I think I will just wait a week or so for any more views and then make an "executive decision" which will probably please no-one! Not, of course, that there is anything to stop someone running one of the other options, although that would dilute the entries (from everyone except RFJ that is who seems capable of building models at a much higher rate than the rest of us mere mortals)
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:27 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
George, you mentioned my inner thoughts on the note of the converted control line models, I always liked, but at the time when I used to build and fly CL, never made a Spectre, ...or a Ranger for that matter

Although I really would like to build something other than a low wing sportster, and I already have lots of high wing cabin models. I could possibly go for the Junior 60 (which was shelved when I got the Centurion plan), but I also like the Phantom....and the Super Scorpion...

There are also loads of other rubber powered models, scalish and sports, that could easily be converted for lightweight electric RC too.

sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Last edited by sparks59; Apr 18, 2012 at 03:04 AM. Reason: I keep thinking of KK models that I like! aarrgggghh
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:56 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,642 Posts
The wife suggested a "Birthday Build-Off" - ie.choose a model produced in the year you were born

As I said in a previous post I am quite happy with the KK idea as there are a couple I do like - the Spectre being one of them.

Ray