HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:49 PM
pushing the envelope
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2005
533 Posts
Discussion
Crawler for Afghan, Iraq, etc. Soldier's FPV (suggestions requested)

Looking to send an FPV overseas to a serviceman to run down the road or crawl into huts or crawl up to an ambush site with remote video.

Needs to operate in snow, wind, rain, mud, ice, dust, heat and so would like to waterproof/seal the works.

Was looking at the venom creeper as a baseline, and go from there.

Going brushless for starters because brushless is inherently water resistant and reliable.

Also wondering what typically goes wrong so as to send some critical spares. Going to use ball bearing servos with metal gears for starters.

Thinking of using the FPV audio to transmit metal detection if I can get another buddy to build a mini coil/amp system.

Gonna mount the video camera on a gimbal, and maybe use a second video camera rearview and switch it in/out. Not going to armor this - if it gets nuked I'll consider it d@$ng cheap.

Looking at possibly other goodies too, such as super bright LED's or?

Also looking at maybe a box with impact foam as a storage crate and base station with chargers, video display, etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
rcgroupie is offline Find More Posts by rcgroupie
Last edited by rcgroupie; Sep 22, 2011 at 09:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2011, 08:23 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
You don't typically break much in crawlers due to the speed. Are you sure that it will be fast enough to keep up with walking troops?

Due to the elements, extra bearings, grease/oil.... etc.

I'd suggest starting out small with a fixed camera to begin with. The more you add and more complex you make it the more likely it will break something. Plus, now you're going to need a multi channel radio, more that you have available in pistol radios so you'll need something like a 6ch air radio.

I've mounted those 24 led daytime driving lights ( found on ebay) on my slash w/ a 12v lipo for power and they light up half my street at night.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Sep 24, 2011, 01:36 PM
pushing the envelope
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2005
533 Posts
Quote:
Are you sure that it will be fast enough to keep up with walking troops?
Does anybody know the top speed for the venom creeper? Is there a way to change the gearing or get a higher kv motor?

Also, if running on ice, are there special studded tires or something?

Finally, is it possible to ship lipos to Afghanistan/Iraq if by land/sea?
Old Sep 25, 2011, 08:32 AM
I'm BIG on micros
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
565 Posts
How about a Traxxas Summit?
Install a VXL system in it and you have a rocket ship in low range-plus, it is fully waterproof as all Traxxas vehicles.
JSS4 is online now Find More Posts by JSS4
Old Sep 25, 2011, 01:49 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSS4 View Post
How about a Traxxas Summit?
Install a VXL system in it and you have a rocket ship in low range-plus, it is fully waterproof as all Traxxas vehicles.
I thought about that for about 2 seconds too until I realized that you proably don't want a $500+ base unit for something that might get blown up, the venom is only a $150 chassis. Plus, the VXL could not power the summit, way too heavy, you'd need a MMM 2200 system.

Not sure how fast the venom goes but crawlers are designed for slow speeds with high torque. You might be able to fool with the gearing though.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 06:39 PM
pushing the envelope
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2005
533 Posts
Quote:
I thought about that for about 2 seconds too until I realized that you proably don't want a $500+ base unit for something that might get blown up
Ouch

I was thinking maybe two or three vehicles and one transmitter would be about right. That one FPV of the traxis going down the dirt road was pretty cool though, and the one where a guy drove it right into the lake.

Gonna think about gears for the venom...
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:13 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,564 Posts
Sent PM regarding your project.

--Paul Susbauer
Venom Group International
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:25 PM
pushing the envelope
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2005
533 Posts
Thanks Paul PM sent.

Update: Half my buddy's team was wounded last week...
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:26 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgroupie View Post
Thanks Paul PM sent.

Update: Half my buddy's team was wounded last week...
Dude, that sucks. I can completely see the value of what you're doing but also understand that the cost involved can build up quick.

Some hints. Get some plastidip for the esc and servo, they will water proof the electronics. For the receiver, a traxxas waterproof receiver box is great, I use them even on my non traxxas vehicles. If you need some donations, I have an old AM radio system and a servo I can send you, maybe even a traxxas receiver box. I can plastidip the servo and put some marine grease where the gear comes out to water proof it. I might still have some leds sets that would work as well, you just need to work out a way to mount them. They look like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LED-U...item48422b65e3
Old Sep 26, 2011, 08:09 PM
pushing the envelope
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2005
533 Posts
Druss,
Apparently most of the Venom gear is already waterproof. I will have to look at it when it gets here. ESC can be submerged "for days".

A couple LED sets would be great.

As far as donating the AM radio I appreciate the offer but the video transmitter gear will jam AM receivers at any reasonable distance. I've got servos for the camera gimbal mount etc.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 09:34 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
Sorry, I think I only have the 1 set left, let me take a look.

Are you getting the creeper as an rtr?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:29 PM
pushing the envelope
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2005
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druss View Post
Sorry, I think I only have the 1 set left, let me take a look.

Are you getting the creeper as an rtr?
Right.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 10:26 AM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
The bot that they had in "The Hurt Locker" was a track driven vehicle similar to an tank, but big tires might have there advantages. Plus the one's used by special force bomb squads also cost more than 10 thousand dollars.

An scx10 may work, or the creeper like you guys are talking about. May want to throw on 2.2's. I'm not sure it needs to be all that fast. If it ends up saving a troops life, he's not going to care wether it takes 2 minutes to complete the job rather than 3.

This is a great thing your doing. And if it does blow up, then it did its job in protecting our guys!
Energy is offline Find More Posts by Energy
Old Oct 03, 2011, 12:09 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,564 Posts
Creeper comes stock with 2.2 Ridgeline tires, but we're going to swap them out with the Switchback tire which is a stickier tire, plus it is a taller profile. We're doing some custom fabbing on these crawlers to put everything as waterproof, reliable as possible.
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 03, 2011, 05:42 AM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Nice! Well good luck.

What camera are you going to stream with?
Energy is offline Find More Posts by Energy