SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2011, 09:28 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuspain View Post
one or two seconds slower than a 1/5 superbike the same day on the same track. Not bad at all.

But the 1/8 scale need more tires options to be really funny in my opinion.
Not saying it was bad.I was just pointing out what i saw from the other 1/8th bikes. Now looking at that track the only real advantage i can see for a 1/5 bike.Would be on the long straight away,as far as going through the turns.It looks like it's point and shoot for any 1/5.Whereas the 1/8th bikes should be able to flow more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trf_414_m2 View Post
I should agree with Manu.

He was the only one that tested my bike at the Nats (others wanted but racing schedule was so tight...)

There are very few tyre choices for 1/8 scale. I raced Venom tyres and inserts due to easier availability for me while other drivers mixed OTO/ZH/Venom tyres and OTO/custom front inners plus OTO/Venom/custom rears.

But I think most important factor for the "front end pushing" seen at the video are the crash bars placement. If we look at bike´s mid point of wheelbase, OTO based prototypes place crash bars contact point closer to the front, and CG make them to unload that wheel.

My design places crash bar contact point over spur gear and CG is much more advanced and raised. This makes the front tyre to get a lot of pressure from bike´s weight at slow corners. This could lead to an unloaded rear wheel if not properly tuned, but I feel fast enough even in rainy conditions.
You should tell the other guys this so they can get their bikes working better.
I only had to watch the vid once to see what was happening.I'm not taking anything away from your bike,it works great. I was just pointing out what i saw,in the other 1/8th.
swheels is offline Find More Posts by swheels
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2011, 09:34 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2009
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swheels View Post
Not saying it was bad.I was just pointing out what i saw from the other 1/8th bikes. Now looking at that track the only real advantage i can see for a 1/5 bike.Would be on the long straight away,as far as going through the turns.It looks like it's point and shoot for any 1/5.Whereas the 1/8th bikes should be able to flow more.

You should tell the other guys this so they can get their bikes working better.
I only had to watch the vid once to see what was happening.I'm not taking anything away from your bike,it works great. I was just pointing out what i saw,in the other 1/8th.
The 1/8 bikes are faster on he tight tracks... Look at the racing porter texas thread i just added some videos. I use the Zh Soft tire with the Zh hard insert for the front. Hard zh rear with the Zh rear yellow insert that comes with the Hard tire. These are the Slick versions that Zh has.
621clay is offline Find More Posts by 621clay
Old Oct 03, 2011, 08:45 AM
Joined Jan 2005
2,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 621clay View Post
The 1/8 bikes are faster on he tight tracks... Look at the racing porter texas thread i just added some videos. I use the Zh Soft tire with the Zh hard insert for the front. Hard zh rear with the Zh rear yellow insert that comes with the Hard tire. These are the Slick versions that Zh has.
EEYup! That's pretty much what i'm saying. I'm pretty sure the superbikes are making time on his 1/8 on the straights.Where they can really open those 1/5 bikes up.

What did you do to correct the problem of the frontend pushing on your bike 621clay??
swheels is offline Find More Posts by swheels
Last edited by swheels; Oct 03, 2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 01:14 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2009
1,130 Posts
Quote:
EEYup! That's pretty much what i'm saying. I'm pretty sure the superbikes are making time on his 1/8 on the straights.Where they can really open those 1/5 bikes up.

What did you do to correct the problem of the frontend pushing on your bike 621clay??
I run no fluid in the front forks. Wheel base it 193 mm. and i just tried my rider "whole" i always used a dremeled rider. I think the whole rider helps the front end more. Also my steering is not dampened anymore giving the front freedom to move when it wants to for a better contact patch. At this scale though.... thats just a thought... seeing it would be more believeable.
621clay is offline Find More Posts by 621clay
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:30 PM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
560 Posts
Quote:

I'm not taking anything away from your bike,it works great. I was just pointing out what i saw,in the other 1/8th.
I understood you at first time...

Thanks for the good comments
trf_414_m2 is offline Find More Posts by trf_414_m2
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:18 PM
Montreal, QC, CANADA
Joined Aug 2008
820 Posts
any pictures of the actual bike? I really like this unique design!
forsakenrider is offline Find More Posts by forsakenrider
Old Dec 01, 2011, 10:03 AM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
560 Posts
No actual pics yet.

Still saving to start ordering CNC machining of the motor mounts and complete chassis.

In the past 20 days, I´ve got some new ideas that lead to modify several parts design.

New too, a carbon fin (not displayed) that would fit between battery and esc. This will be the best place to add lead weights and change CG height.

Found different batteries and they allowed to place the front shock inside front swingarm.

Hope to start assemblying mine soon (handcrafted) but I´ll surely miss the chance to sell some this Christmas.

New 3D images:

Old Dec 01, 2011, 08:09 PM
Montreal, QC, CANADA
Joined Aug 2008
820 Posts
Very nice! Looks light.

So why the offset rear? are the pinion, spur, and chain/belt all on the right side now?
Old Dec 01, 2011, 11:05 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,198 Posts
The rear only appears to be offset in the rear swingarm to make room for the drive train; otherwise, it appears to be inline with the front wheel.

Really cool design -- I can't wait to see it built!
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Dec 02, 2011, 07:17 AM
Montreal, QC, CANADA
Joined Aug 2008
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidoracer View Post
The rear only appears to be offset in the rear swingarm to make room for the drive train; otherwise, it appears to be inline with the front wheel.
Yes thats what I mean. I've just usually seen the chain on the left side, I would think that must make a pretty busy right side, but nothing wrong with that that I can think of.
Old Dec 02, 2011, 10:57 AM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
560 Posts
Busy right side?

This setup allows a fixed swingarm pivot shaft. It´s installed in the motor mounts with a press...

Why losing power fighting against swingarm suspension reaction when you can make a spur/pulley holder spining over bearings?

A low friction belt (low mass too) transfers the power to the rear wheel for the best efficiency ever seen at this scale.

A pic of the pulley setup at the "busy side":

Thanks Lito...

Ah, I forgot to say this bike feature two busy sides....

Right one for any transmision work, and left one for suspension setup.

Old Dec 02, 2011, 01:51 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
656 Posts
This thing looks like straight from a Transformers Movie..

I love it !
Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg