HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:05 AM
Australia, VIC, Chadstone
Joined Dec 2011
136 Posts
So I take it that noone has actually tried the direct BT-TTL to FrSky module yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmulus View Post
The levels aren't the issue. These Bluetooth module (and any for that matter) need to be configured and matched via serial AT commands. This means that you would need another processor in between the Bluetooth and FrSky module to handle that. That isn't a big issue, but it does add complexity. It looks like the ERSKY9x board already has a provision for a Bluetooth link.
Thanks that's a really good point. I dont suppose the FrSky TTL settings match the defaults on the cheap BT items? Also thanks for the link to the ERSKY9x board which although looks awesome is a little more than need right now. I was hoping for a cheap BT option that I can pair with a phone for flight data logging/audible alerts etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
There are transparent COM over BT modules, not requiring any configuration.
Any links you could point me too for one of these?
maca55 is offline Find More Posts by maca55
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:14 AM
Gustatus Similis Pullus
USA, CO, Arvada
Joined Mar 2007
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobee View Post
sorry, i didn't understand your response

is it okay to just tie the outputs together? or should i be disconnecting the max232 output from the stm32?

thanks
It would be best to disconnect the output from the max232. I have since done it on mine.
qmulus is offline Find More Posts by qmulus
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:01 PM
Germany, HB, Bremen
Joined Jun 2010
923 Posts
OK guys, the max232 should definitely be disconnected. This was the cause for the weird clicking noise. Now there is no need for a resistor to "fix" it, and the alarms MUST work.

I've edited my post back in this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=37
Zen09 is offline Find More Posts by Zen09
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:52 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1 Posts
bug inter ail

Hello I have make the modification but the switch AIL always activated
jordancarrier is offline Find More Posts by jordancarrier
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:53 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,179 Posts
Are you sure you cut the two pads of MISO/MOSI from corresponding resistors and did the two wire soldering to unused pins in upper processor area?

Also, loaded frsky firmware ? a regular firmware won't work on a telemetry moded 9X !
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Hi I did this today, but I think I may have nuked an SMD cap, I followed the original design on the first page of this thread and replaced the 2 SMD resistors with discrete 220 ohm resistors connected to the empty pins as shown in the pictures however as some point I dropped a blob of solder directly on the second cap from the left (see picture) I was able to extract the solder but I am thinking I overheated the cap as its now showing very low resistance across it. (not sure is there is another path though).

Here lies the question, what switches on the body of the TX does this connect to?

If the cap is shown bad can I just extract it? Do these inputs really need bypass caps?
SDSUEE is offline Find More Posts by SDSUEE
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Just to update, it turned out to be a bad switch.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:07 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,170 Posts
SDSUEE
So which switch was bad?
Did that same switch work okay BEFORE the mod? - (ie: or before ANY mod work for that matter?)
Just curious!
-B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:32 AM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
It was a new untested radio, it was the upper right switch, I knew a cap wouldn't behave like that but I am not really a hardware guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
SDSUEE
So which switch was bad?
Did that same switch work okay BEFORE the mod? - (ie: or before ANY mod work for that matter?)
Just curious!
-B!LL!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:57 AM
Joined Mar 2006
102 Posts
Hello,
I purchased a FrSky V8FR-II 2.4Ghz 8CH Receiver (HV) with FrSky DHT 8ch DIY Telemetry Compatible Transmitter Module.
Yesterday i did the mod described by Zen09 on page 2.
First I installed the Frsky module by the manual. I soldered the 3 cables (yellow, black , red) like described without cutting any traces.
Then I added all the cables to flash the firmware like the manual described.
And for last followed Zen09's tutorial. I cut the traces on the frsky DHT module and scrapped the two others. Soldered them to miso and mosi like described in the picture.
Then I had to remove the 220ohms resistors to be able to cut the traces more easily, and replaced them with 2 other 220ohm resistors.

I was able to flash the firmware to er9x-frsky correctly. Then I was able to bind the tx with rx with the 2way telemetry setting, but i still get the No data message. My receiver led gets a stable green color and my tx gets a flashing orange color.
Is there a way i can check my connections with a voltmeter?
What could be wrong?
eLviSH is offline Find More Posts by eLviSH
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:01 AM
Australia, VIC, Chadstone
Joined Dec 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLviSH View Post
Hello,
I purchased a FrSky V8FR-II 2.4Ghz 8CH Receiver (HV) with FrSky DHT 8ch DIY Telemetry Compatible Transmitter Module.

What could be wrong?
Your mod is likely OK, you just bought the wrong RX. You need a 'D' series one, ie) D8R-II plus

From FrSky website:

1.3 New feature of V8FR-II over V8FR-HV

Compatible with all FrSky modules (V8_mode & D_mode), receive only (V8FR-II can talk with module of either mode, but it does not send telemetry information back to the transmitter).
maca55 is offline Find More Posts by maca55
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:40 AM
Joined Mar 2006
102 Posts
Quote:
Your mod is likely OK, you just bought the wrong RX. You need a 'D' series one, ie) D8R-II plus

From FrSky website:

1.3 New feature of V8FR-II over V8FR-HV

Compatible with all FrSky modules (V8_mode & D_mode), receive only (V8FR-II can talk with module of either mode, but it does not send telemetry information back to the transmitter).
Thanks a lots maca55, you just saved me a lot of time ! I'll just have to wait for the new receiver I guess.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:45 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,179 Posts
Why wait, you can fly without telemetry without worry !
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:58 AM
Joined Mar 2006
102 Posts
Quote:
Why wait, you can fly without telemetry without worry !
Ok, if there is no problem with the telemetry information missing, then I will plug everything, and test the drone tonight.

Thanks again for all the information you guys provide for the rest of us!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:03 PM
United States, FL, Miami Beach
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
Quick Question guys... I ordered a FrSky DF 2.4Ghz Combo Pack.....

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14355

All I really want is a RSSI readout on my er9x screen. For this... I need to the DJT telemetry mod?

Also I have micro heli's that won't work with FrSky so what needs to be done with the stock turngy module in order to get it working with the er9x with all the telemetry mods (traces cut and the ground pin removed from the tx module pinout.
dc9guy is offline Find More Posts by dc9guy