HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2012, 06:02 AM
Joined May 2010
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen09 View Post
Beware, your MOSI connection to 9x seems wrong to me! It is not clear from the picture..

Perhaps you should use my picture http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/836/detailq.jpg/

And this one for the USBasp interface http://th9x.googlecode.com/svn/wiki/....png?width=600
It is correctly, the yellow line points to the MOSI wire not the pad under it. I'll add a note to the text...
Hyvok is offline Find More Posts by Hyvok
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2012, 05:05 AM
Joined Mar 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyvok View Post
Hey guys, I made a blog post where I try to clearly explain what you need to do to your 9X to get it to support the FrSky telemetry: http://www.dgkelectronics.com/how-to...elemetry-data/

Any suggestions what I could add or be more clear about?
I've a question regarding your mod, why is it needed to remove the MAX3232?
If the goal is to connect the 9x to the FrSky module internally, wouldn't it be sufficient to only connect the two lines to the 5 pin connector?
z01z is offline Find More Posts by z01z
Old May 18, 2012, 05:00 AM
Australia, VIC, Chadstone
Joined Dec 2011
136 Posts
Results of 10 ohm resistor on MISO only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen09 View Post
A 15ohm resistor will do. It is required only on MISO, you can leave MOSI with no resistor.

I was surprised by how low the resistance should be for the signal to pass. I can't tell the tolerance interval, except that it must be less than 200
Try whatever works and reply back so I can update the video.
I have just done your nice mod method direct to the DHT module. I used a 10ohm resistor (all I had) on MISO only. Thanks for this simple 'zero cost' method!!

I am receiving Telemetry fine however interestingly I still get the noise from the module when Writing an eeprom. Flashing firmware and reading of the eeprom makes no noise. This is using the HK USBasp programmer. I also have another programmer from ebay which makes no noise on the module!?

Also, not sure sure if this is normal, but when I alter the RSSI alarm levels in the open9x Telemetry page it does not appear to change the DHT alarm levels?

Any advice on what might be wrong, or is this all normal?
maca55 is online now Find More Posts by maca55
Old May 18, 2012, 08:29 AM
Germany, HB, Bremen
Joined Jun 2010
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maca55 View Post
I am receiving Telemetry fine however interestingly I still get the noise from the module when Writing an eeprom.
This would mean the value of the resistor is too low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maca55 View Post
when I alter the RSSI alarm levels in the open9x Telemetry page it does not appear to change the DHT alarm levels?
This would mean the value of the resistor is too high.

Sorry, it's time someone who really knows the FrSky circuitry to jump in.
I personally have no idea why there's clicking noise and only provided a hack that worked at least for me and some others.
Zen09 is offline Find More Posts by Zen09
Old May 18, 2012, 08:51 AM
Joined Dec 2011
136 Posts
Thanks for your reply Zen. Actually the clicking noise doesnt bother me, as long as it is not doing any harm to the module. I will try without the resistor and post an update on whether the alarm setting works. Still think this is a good hack as it requires so little in the way of additional parts.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:44 PM
Gustatus Similis Pullus
USA, CO, Arvada
Joined Mar 2007
573 Posts
I just installed a DJT module in my 9X. I did mine a bit differently. For the remapped switches, I simply "tombstoned" the existing 220 ohm resistors and soldered the 30 AWG wires to them and to the uP pins. I then soldered the cable on the back board direct to the MOSI and MISO pads. So there was no need to add any components as they were already there. Due note that I do NOT have a programmer wired into my 9X, but rather just a header that I connect to universal device programmer I use (Conitec GALEP-4, FWIW) for when I need to flash it. I remove the back to reflash and disconnect the RF module, so there is no possibility of one circuit affecting the other. YMMV.

One thing that I did notice for this modification is that you must make sure to cut the re-purposed antenna ground pin on the module header away from the ground planes on both sides of the back board. I forgot to check the back side the first time.

Here is a picture of the re-routed serial lines on the DJT module. Note that I could have ran the jumpers from the vias near the uP instead of the RS232 IC.
qmulus is offline Find More Posts by qmulus
Last edited by qmulus; Jun 11, 2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: added picture
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:04 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,211 Posts
One more way to... skin the Frsky module in order to send telemetry to the radio without holes.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:33 PM
Gustatus Similis Pullus
USA, CO, Arvada
Joined Mar 2007
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
One more way to... skin the Frsky module in order to send telemetry to the radio without holes.
Yes, is more direct the way you did it. Not sure why I grabbed them where I did, but I do like the way it works.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:18 AM
Joined Dec 2011
136 Posts
Has anyone tried adding a TTL Bluetooth module directly to the FrSky TTL signals for purposes of sending the Telemetry data to a phone or PC? It should work right?

eg) something like this:
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/serial-bl...ule-rs232.html

The Bluetooth addons mods I have seen so far appear to all use a TTL converter which I dont have as I have used the direct method detailed in this thread.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:27 AM
Gustatus Similis Pullus
USA, CO, Arvada
Joined Mar 2007
573 Posts
The levels aren't the issue. These Bluetooth module (and any for that matter) need to be configured and matched via serial AT commands. This means that you would need another processor in between the Bluetooth and FrSky module to handle that. That isn't a big issue, but it does add complexity. It looks like the ERSKY9x board already has a provision for a Bluetooth link.

http://9xforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=934
Last edited by qmulus; Jun 15, 2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
nice mod, i'm waiting for my djt module and considering whether to go this route.

a question. both the max232 and 9x board will be driving the rxd line of the stm32, wouldn't there be interference? did you need to disconnect the output of the max232 since you would not be using it?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmulus View Post
I just installed a DJT module in my 9X. I did mine a bit differently. For the remapped switches, I simply "tombstoned" the existing 220 ohm resistors and soldered the 30 AWG wires to them and to the uP pins. I then soldered the cable on the back board direct to the MOSI and MISO pads. So there was no need to add any components as they were already there. Due note that I do NOT have a programmer wired into my 9X, but rather just a header that I connect to universal device programmer I use (Conitec GALEP-4, FWIW) for when I need to flash it. I remove the back to reflash and disconnect the RF module, so there is no possibility of one circuit affecting the other. YMMV.

One thing that I did notice for this modification is that you must make sure to cut the re-purposed antenna ground pin on the module header away from the ground planes on both sides of the back board. I forgot to check the back side the first time.

Here is a picture of the re-routed serial lines on the DJT module. Note that I could have ran the jumpers from the vias near the uP instead of the RS232 IC.
noobee is offline Find More Posts by noobee
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:42 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,211 Posts
There are transparent COM over BT modules, not requiring any configuration.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:42 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobee View Post
nice mod, i'm waiting for my djt module and considering whether to go this route.

a question. both the max232 and 9x board will be driving the rxd line of the stm32, wouldn't there be interference? did you need to disconnect the output of the max232 since you would not be using it?

thanks
Yeah, this should be a kosher design.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Yeah, this should be a kosher design.
sorry, i didn't understand your response

is it okay to just tie the outputs together? or should i be disconnecting the max232 output from the stm32?

thanks
noobee is offline Find More Posts by noobee
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:53 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,211 Posts
Disconnect max.
To one of the radios I moded so far the max232 is more powerfull than 9X, and don't let transmit alarms programming commands to the module if tied together.