SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:42 PM
Germany, HB, Bremen
Joined Jun 2010
922 Posts
deleted
Zen09 is offline Find More Posts by Zen09
Last edited by Zen09; Mar 24, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:25 PM
chicago
Joined Nov 2008
27 Posts
i have the smartie partz board do you know where I can find an example with that board so I can get telemetry on the screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen09 View Post
I'm detailing a bit emerge's method, on a DIY DHT module.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOiKSfD8f6c

whatasteele is offline Find More Posts by whatasteele
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:17 PM
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Feb 2011
49 Posts
Great instructions and video!! I also have a smartieparts board for my 9x, I purchased this board because soldering on this small of a scale terrifies me. Would there be an easier way to do this with a smartieparts board?
TheQuadLaser is offline Find More Posts by TheQuadLaser
Old Mar 26, 2012, 04:33 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,742 Posts
You can check the so called "smartie" board pins corresponding to MISO/MOSI pads above, and solder there the wires from Frsky, but you still must cut the traces on 9X board and solder those two wires.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:34 AM
Germany, HB, Bremen
Joined Jun 2010
922 Posts
Unfortunately the telemetry mod is very DIY because of the V2 board being poorly designed from this point of view. Only an alternative 9x board could be a solderless solution, you would just plug in the connectors from LCD, switches, potentiometers, etc.

There's a problem on the frsky part too, if you can't solder on the module and use the conventional tx/rx pins instead, you need a TTL inverter with transistors and a few other parts. That could be embedded in the 'properly designed' 9x board but I don't think anyone is going to manufacture something like this, since the FrSky radio is coming, having everything switch on and fly.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 06:37 PM
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Feb 2011
49 Posts
Quote:
Unfortunately the telemetry mod is very DIY because of the V2 board being poorly designed from this point of view. Only an alternative 9x board could be a solderless solution, you would just plug in the connectors from LCD, switches, potentiometers, etc.

There's a problem on the frsky part too, if you can't solder on the module and use the conventional tx/rx pins instead, you need a TTL inverter with transistors and a few other parts. That could be embedded in the 'properly designed' 9x board but I don't think anyone is going to manufacture something like this, since the FrSky radio is coming, having everything switch on and fly.
Oh well... I think I'll just add a screen.

Would it be possible to reprogram one of these and use the Oled screen as a telemetry display screen?
TheQuadLaser is offline Find More Posts by TheQuadLaser
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:43 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2009
168 Posts
Quote:
That could be embedded in the 'properly designed' 9x board but I don't think anyone is going to manufacture something like this, since the FrSky radio is coming, having everything switch on and fly.
Which "the FrSky radio" is that?
Bill
SupraGo is online now Find More Posts by SupraGo
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:56 PM
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Jun 2010
483 Posts
Sweet! Now I have to get me a 9x.

Question: Is there an altimeter option for the telemetry?
mamba max1 is offline Find More Posts by mamba max1
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:16 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,742 Posts
Altimeter is under construction, but there are some screens:

http://9xforums.com/forum/viewtopic....altitude#p6510

Bill, Frsky will issue its own radio this summer.
12-16 channels using a proprietary, but open protocol that will be made public, after the actual 9x implementation will be finished, see references to PXX in er9x sources.
The receiver will be the actual D8R, using two when more than 8ch needed. PXX means firmware only, running on current Frsky hardware, module and receivers, there is no new hardware needed to buy !
However, even using PXX in 8ch only will bring some advantages as lower latency and model match.
The radio hardware will be other class than 9X, the price Frsky friendly, probably under $200 for a radio in the actual 9-12 channels class of brand names, priced double or more.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Last edited by renatoa; Mar 27, 2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:46 AM
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Jun 2010
483 Posts
nice! Thanks! The longitude and latitude readings will sure come in handy if a plane goes down somewhere you can't see!
mamba max1 is offline Find More Posts by mamba max1
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined Mar 2012
14 Posts
If you do this mod, will you still be able to flash your 9x with new frimware?
Will you be able to plug in and use the original adapter and reciever in the back, maybe with a switch?
Egbert87 is offline Find More Posts by Egbert87
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:50 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Unfortunately the telemetry mod is very DIY because of the V2 board being poorly designed from this point of view.
actually imo the deficiency is in er9x firmware. lack of experience with software uarts makes a telemetry upgrade far more difficult than necessary. in this way isp pins alone would be fully capable of communicating with an frsky module. no need for any additional cuts or adds to the radio. an added benefit is that the module requires no hardware modification at all either since polarity is under software control unlike with hardware uarts.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Apr 05, 2012, 04:56 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Feb 2012
2 Posts
Thanks Zen09, This is very helpful.

One rookie question though: what is the difference between your method and Gruvin's in which the two left resistors need to be soldered out and two 220 ohm resistors are soldered between the pins? I don't recall any soldering to the DIY module either. Thanks
wjpsw is offline Find More Posts by wjpsw
Old Apr 06, 2012, 06:28 PM
Joined Oct 2007
5 Posts
frsky telemetry on turnigy 9x without rs232/transistor/flying cables/holes

Success! I just completed the "No RS 232 Converter" and so far its working pretty well. I have a couple of concerns:

1. I now get low clicking noise when the usbasp programmer is connected. Not sure if its coming from the DHT or the radio speaker.

2. Maybe it's a coincidence but after I installed the er9x Frsky firmware and did the mod. the P3 pot started acting like it was not calibrated. It would not go full resolution (graphics bar on main screen displayed 0-50% as an example). This has happened 2-3 times. The last time it happened I turned the radio off and back on and it's been working normally since.

Does anyone know if there should be any resistors inline as the MOSI/MISO is connected directly to the DHT module and shared with the usbasp programmer?

Earl
ekill401 is offline Find More Posts by ekill401
Old Apr 07, 2012, 05:30 AM
Germany, HB, Bremen
Joined Jun 2010
922 Posts
@wjpsw
Those SMD resistors are 220ohm, I don't see the point in unsoldering them and replacing with big size resistors.

There was no soldering needed on the module yet a TTL converter was. It is obviuous the converter is much more complicated than simply soldering on the module.

@ekill401
1. This happens to me too when the module is unpowered and receives tx/rx signals from radio. 100K resistors inline with the signal solve this problem.

2. It is not a coincidence, it's OK since 2 pots/switches have been rerouted to the upper ADC's on the Atmega (they were on MOSI/MISO and would have made the communication with the module impossible).