HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2001, 01:18 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Holy Mackeral! - Almost hit a Pickup on the RUNWAY!

I was out today at a nice flying field, it had Paved Runway, Paved Taxiways, Pits & Nice Clubhouse. A gas model car club has built a track adjacent to our field & was having an event today. I was flying my Sky Scooter when the cutoff finally kicked in, I'm coming in on final & out of the corner of my eye I See a Ford F-150 Pickup truck driving across the runway & field! I had to pull up to avoid this clown & just missed him. It seems they ran out of parking on the south side of the track & this guy decided he would park out in the Grass on the North side. Are these Car guys numbskulls? They seem to be oblivious. There were also a 1/4 scale gasser about to make his approach, now that would smart!
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2001, 03:24 PM
PA ,USA
Joined May 2001
44 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mrebman:
Are these Car guys numbskulls? They seem to be oblivious.

Yes they are.
Mad Bomber is offline Find More Posts by Mad Bomber
Old Jul 07, 2001, 05:21 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
Generally, people notice other people only when the other guys gets in their way!
And if what they are expected to notice is your toy airplane, that's something most people have so little experience with that it's completely beyond their comprehension when you do invade their space.
You have to watch out for everyone else, they certainly won't be watching for you.
Sparky Paul
PJB's Seriously Aeronautical Stuff
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sparky Paul; Jul 19, 2006 at 11:06 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2001, 06:01 PM
Old Guy
Carver, MA USA
Joined Jun 2000
553 Posts
They routinely cut off motorcycles and bicyclists on the roadways with 'nary a care.
They also cut off tractor trailers and trains but that sort of takes care of itself.
Ron
Ron Cichowski is offline Find More Posts by Ron Cichowski
Old Jul 07, 2001, 06:31 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
My "Toy" airplane was the least of his worries, I kind of think he saw the 1/5 Scale Yellow Cub that was coming in on my tail. There were (6) planes in the air, taking off & landing, he slowed down for a minute but decided to keep going. You'd think the fence he had to squeeze thru plus the building with the Windsock & then the Runway with the lines painted on it would clue him that this was a Airfield. I can bet that if I flew over the car track I would have gotten the same kind of complaint.
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Jul 07, 2001, 10:12 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,276 Posts
Prior to installing gates at our site I had a guy drive on to the field park his pick up on the field and let his dog out to run. At the time I was about 800 feet up in a thermal. The guy insisted that he had the right to run his dog and park anywhere he darn well pleased because this was state land and he paid taxes. I'm sure you know the type. I could not argue because I had to keep an eye on the plane so I waited until I landed and then tried to explain that our club had received permission to put in the field in this location and that he could run his dog but would he kindly use the parking area for his truck instead of the runway. He simply suggested I take my toy airplane and deposit it in a specific body orfice. Needless to say I left. Fortunately he never has come back but at least now he cant get on the field.
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Jul 07, 2001, 11:59 PM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
I worked in a large hobby shop that sold both RC planes and cars. The car section and plane section were separate. You could take one look at a customer coming in the door and tell which side he was going to go to.
One cashier confided that she was afraid to wait on some of the car customers.

Your assement of the mental capabilities and social skills is correct.

The owner described the mental condition of the average RC car customer as " Hostile ignorance"

DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW
Old Jul 08, 2001, 03:15 AM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2000
324 Posts
'The owner described the mental condition of the average RC car customer as " Hostile ignorance"'

lol
Mikey_Flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey_Flies
Old Jul 08, 2001, 03:28 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveW:
I worked in a large hobby shop that sold both RC planes and cars. The car section and plane section were separate. You could take one look at a customer coming in the door and tell which side he was going to go to.
Dave, it's funny you say this. I was at the LHS this week and had a long chat with the owner. He was doing the same thing, assessing the people as they walked in and he picked out the car guys everytime! I was amazed, but then I'm not ever on that side of the counter. You could read it in his face and it didn't say anything too good about the car dudes.

GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jul 08, 2001, 03:37 AM
rebmeM roineS
Rockingham, Perth - Western Australia
Joined Apr 2001
615 Posts
I race RC cars, have done for years, does this make me a "Numbscull" too?
MrBungle is offline Find More Posts by MrBungle
Old Jul 08, 2001, 04:24 AM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2000
324 Posts
I'd say by the fact that you
a) found this forum
b) stayed to find this thread
c) managed to reply to it
that you are probably not a numbskull.
Mikey_Flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey_Flies
Old Jul 08, 2001, 07:40 AM
This space for rent
Peachtree City, Ga USA
Joined Apr 2000
810 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBungle:
I race RC cars, have done for years, does this make me a "Numbscull" too?
Maybe its like with lawyers, 99% of them give the rest a bad reputation...

Steven

Steven D is offline Find More Posts by Steven D
Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:51 AM
Suspended Account
Fountain Valley, California
Joined Feb 2004
10,768 Posts
There was a "Concert In The Park" this afternoon adjacent to our field today and there were dozens of cars parked on our runway. We all managed to avoid them and no one was upset.

There were no r/c cars but I would have welcomed them.

Will
willhaney is offline Find More Posts by willhaney
Old Jul 19, 2006, 01:01 AM
Suspended Account
Grove City PA basement/park
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Doesn't everybody occasionally get the thought of buying a $100 1972 Buick Electra 225, so that they can just let idiots run into them when they do stupid things, instead of doing freak manouevers to avoid them?
Applying the same thing to rc flight, put together a huge junker with old donated stuff from the guys, maybe powered by a lawn and garden equipment 2 stroke motor, say from an old weed trimmer, the bigger the better. The next time one of those idiots crosses the runway in their vehicle, teach 'em a lesson. When they come over, nobody knows nuthin'.

(No politically correct responses from humor killing types need reply)
scratchandbash is offline Find More Posts by scratchandbash
Old Jul 19, 2006, 08:48 AM
Joined May 2006
201 Posts
add a bombdrop and go reak havok
flyboy367 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy367