HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:39 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,671 Posts
Contest
Show us your Nano in action contest!

We get a lot of people asking about the capabilities of the Nano receivers and what we have flown them in. Generally, our customers beat us to the answers by posting their experiences. So, in appreciation we are going to run a contest until the end of the year.

Post a video in this thread with your Nano receiver story. Every month, we will select one video as the winner and send you two free Nanos as a thank you.

Please see the fine print below for the rules.

Good luck!

Videos must contain original material and will remain property of the poster. By entering this contest you agree to allow Xtreme Power Systems, L.L.C. exclusive usage rights for promtions, including the use of edited portions of the video.

JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:39 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,671 Posts
Here is a video of the turbine powered Victory. It weighs 55 pounds and if flown with 2 Nanos. You will also see a turbine powered Turbinator that is also flown with 2 Nanos.

XPS Nano Receivers (5 min 10 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JimDrew; Sep 21, 2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:40 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,671 Posts
Here is a video of the maiden I did of a 50% Hemple Yak55. It is powered with a 3W 275. It had some severe issues with power. We could only get it to tach at about 4800 RPMs peak. It should turn 7000 RPMs and generate 154 pounds of thrust at 850' ASL. It could barely level off in a hover. it was actually a bit nerve racking to have to perform all of the AMA required maneuvers to get the check out complete. After 6 flights, it would not even start. Phil pulled the engine and sent it off. One ignition box was complete dead and the other had severe grounding issues. So, fresh engine and fresh electronics are on their way back right now. I can hardly wait to fly it with full power and worrying if it is going to quit all of the time!

The brakes were an idea that I had, using simple Kavan electric units. It turned out that the plane was way to big for these, so Phil came up with using a set of 1/8" on-road car disc brakes. I mixed the radio so that the brakes were proportional based on the position of the elevator (up was brakes on) and also a mix with the rudder so that the braking was proportional left and right as well. You can turn the thing on a dime at the end of the runway! A bypass switch turns off the braking during flight. This system works fantastic, stopping that 76 pound (wet) plane in a very short distance. The runway in the video is 425' long - that is what we fly all of our planes on - foamies to turbines.

Oh yeah, this plane is flown with 2 Nanos that are hidden underneath the pilot's head, one under each ear.

Here is the video - it's big (80+ megs).
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JimDrew; Sep 22, 2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:40 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,671 Posts
Place holder 3
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:46 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,145 Posts
oooh, Nanos in action, that's a fun topic!

I guess because I don't own these videos would mean Jim can't use 'em which means I disqualify myself. I need to have me some fresh video sessions...

Here's two Nano's in action...

3DHS 104 Orange Slick Saturday AM Demo TN Huckfest (10 min 11 sec)

...a single Nano in action...

Huge Rc 103" extra - Pwny Express at 3D Funfly NJ (5 min 42 sec)
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:55 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,145 Posts
This video I do own... but alas I don't leave the front yard so not actually the best demonstration of a Nano

giant scale gasser 3D'ing the front yard - 103" 3DHS Extra (8 min 5 sec)
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:58 AM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,807 Posts
I use Nano's in my slope aerobatic gliders and combat wings (all foamies). I like that the Nano is compact and super light. I can "stuff" them into a "hole;" connect the leads; and forget about it. My gliders tend to take a beating since I fly low and crazy; but the Nano's just keep on working.

The video below is my Le Fish light (21.5 oz) slope glider at Mormon Lake showing off its "Mad" elevator (200 of elevator throw).

Flippin' Out with Le Fish Light, 08-30-11 Mormon Lake Overlook (2 min 9 sec)

Thanks Jim (and Chris Klique for showing me the light)

Dawson Henderson
Flagstaff, AZ
Nanos with a XPS module in a Evo 9 transmitter.
dawsonh is online now Find More Posts by dawsonh
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:58 AM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,304 Posts
Why do so many people want to simulate the way so many reed fliers flew 50 years ago.? The major difference is in the landing (crash).
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:39 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsonh View Post
I use Nano's in my slope aerobatic gliders and combat wings (all foamies). I like that the Nano is compact and super light. I can "stuff" them into a "hole;" connect the leads; and forget about it. My gliders tend to take a beating since I fly low and crazy; but the Nano's just keep on working.

The video below is my Le Fish light (21.5 oz) slope glider at Mormon Lake showing off its "Mad" elevator (200 of elevator throw).

http://www.vimeo.com/28429336

Thanks Jim (and Chris Klique for showing me the light)

Dawson Henderson
Flagstaff, AZ
Nanos with a XPS module in a Evo 9 transmitter.

nice! that's cool. I need to get some slope soaring done at some point...
Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:11 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,671 Posts
Aaron, I went slope soaring for the first time ever this year. I thought it was going to be kind of dumb. I was wrong! It was quite fun. There is something just magical about using pure wind as your only source of power, and there is a lot of power to be had! I am getting together a 3D sloper (like the LeFish) so I can do 3D as well as fly fast and low. You definitely need to try it... I know you would like it!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:26 PM
Joined May 2007
86 Posts
I am interested in the style of flying also, where is that plane available or what would be its equal?----------rick
Vapor52 is offline Find More Posts by Vapor52
Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:56 PM
Joined May 2007
86 Posts
OK, I found the LeFish on line but it gives a weight of 34-37 ozs. and Dawson says 21 1/2 on his so what the diff? Did you modify it or can it be bought that way. Nice mod on the elevator! ----rick
Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:58 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Aaron, I went slope soaring for the first time ever this year. I thought it was going to be kind of dumb. I was wrong! It was quite fun. There is something just magical about using pure wind as your only source of power, and there is a lot of power to be had! I am getting together a 3D sloper (like the LeFish) so I can do 3D as well as fly fast and low. You definitely need to try it... I know you would like it!
I have tried it, slope soaring rocks!

...in fact, looking forward to my Blaster3 as much for adding ballast to go find a slope. In 28 years of rc flying I've dabbled in most areas, haven't found anything I haven't enjoyed yet. At the last huckfest we were flying DLG's under lights... the whole hobby is amazing fun.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:21 PM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor52 View Post
OK, I found the LeFish on line but it gives a weight of 34-37 ozs. and Dawson says 21 1/2 on his so what the diff? Did you modify it or can it be bought that way. Nice mod on the elevator! ----rick
PM sent.
dawsonh is online now Find More Posts by dawsonh
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:29 PM
Joined May 2007
86 Posts
Dawson use fraley@embarqmail.com , not sure which one I used here-----------rick