SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:44 PM
Canada, ON, Lively
Joined Aug 2011
27 Posts
Question
Quad almost ready for flight.. need assistance

Hello Everyone,

I have recently completed my Quad using the tutorials from Hoverfly Tech. Although it is very similar there are a few differences because of material availability in my area. After watching the video tutorials many times and spending hours reading the threads on the Hoverfly RC groups my Quad is almost ready to fly. Up to this point I have 3 questions to ask all of you before I attempt to fly. I have only bench tested so far.

My Quadcopter:

- Motors prop shaft center to center 25Ē (Same as Quad on Video Tutorial)
- ĺ inch square aluminum tubing (smallest size I could find locally)
- I cut 2 pieces of 6 ď sq. 1/8Ē thick mounting boards out of printed circuit board with copper removed. (A friend supplied me with 2 feet square PCB)
- RCTimer Motors BC2836-11 750 Kv and 12 X 3.8 apc props
- Turnigy Plush 30 Amp ESCís
- Hoverfly Pro board (black)
- I am using the + configuration
- Transmitter .. Spektrum DX6i

Question #1:
I have on the way a Power Supply Filter, L-C Type from DPCAV. Has anyone used this filter with the Pro board. I know that the Black HF Pro has greater filtering abilities for power supply so do you think I should add this DPCAV board as extra insurance or am I just creating a problem?

Question #2:
I have read in some threads that the red wire on the ESCís were all removed except for one. I didnít come across this possible requirement when I read the HoverflyPro User Manual V2.1 revised Aug 2011. In fact when I watched the Video Tutorials all the connections from the ESCís to the HoverflyPro showed all the red wires connected. Do I leave it alone or do I disconnect?

Question #3:
This may be the most difficult to explain as it involves setting up the Gain. First of all my HFPro was updated to the latest firmware and then I loaded the Setup Client and in the General tab I connected the HFPro board. I pressed the Connect bar and the status showed connected. I moved the Quad and the Artificial Horizon moved along as well. I then pressed the Diagostic bar and did a Test and all the Sensors passed. All boxes were checked. Ok so far so good. I pressed the General tab again and then turned on my Transmitter (Spektrum DX6i) and hooked up the LiPo battery. I pressed the Connect bar and the status showed connected. My LiPo battery showed 11.3 volts and here is my Gain Values:

------------------Transmitter EPA-------Gain on Setup Client
Autolevel Al on--------22----------------------27
Autolevel off-----------19----------------------24

Altitude Hold on-------29----------------------26
Altitude Hold off ------29----------------------25

As you can see my End Point Values on my transmitter closely match the values on the Setup Client.

What Gain on the Setup Client should I use as a starter for both AL and AH? After flying the Quad if I make an adjustment to the Gain with AL off should I match the gain to AL on as well or just leave it alone?

I am also waiting for the Hoverfly GPS and Iím in agreement with most people to wait until the Hoverfly Team is totally confident with the product before mailing to customers. Sorry for the length of this questionnaire but I am anxious for the first flight and want to be confident that I have set up everything properly.

Bob
BobsQuad is offline Find More Posts by BobsQuad
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:29 PM
Al Ducharme
Orlando, FL
Joined Jan 2005
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsQuad View Post
Question #1:
I have on the way a Power Supply Filter, L-C Type from DPCAV. Has anyone used this filter with the Pro board. I know that the Black HF Pro has greater filtering abilities for power supply so do you think I should add this DPCAV board as extra insurance or am I just creating a problem?
You will probably not need the LC filter with the Black board but it doesn't hurt to use it other than the weight (which isn't very much).

Quote:
Question #2:
I have read in some threads that the red wire on the ESC’s were all removed except for one. I didn’t come across this possible requirement when I read the HoverflyPro User Manual V2.1 revised Aug 2011. In fact when I watched the Video Tutorials all the connections from the ESC’s to the HoverflyPro showed all the red wires connected. Do I leave it alone or do I disconnect?
I didn't remove the wire in the video and usually don't. However, in the manual it shows a diagram of the wire harness with the ESC / BEC power wire removed in all but one of the servo connectors to supply power to the receiver.

Quote:
Question #3:
This may be the most difficult to explain as it involves setting up the Gain. First of all my HFPro was updated to the latest firmware and then I loaded the Setup Client and in the General tab I connected the HFPro board. I pressed the Connect bar and the status showed connected. I moved the Quad and the Artificial Horizon moved along as well. I then pressed the Diagostic bar and did a Test and all the Sensors passed. All boxes were checked. Ok so far so good. I pressed the General tab again and then turned on my Transmitter (Spektrum DX6i) and hooked up the LiPo battery. I pressed the Connect bar and the status showed connected. My LiPo battery showed 11.3 volts and here is my Gain Values:

------------------Transmitter EPA-------Gain on Setup Client
Autolevel Al on--------22----------------------27
Autolevel off-----------19----------------------24

Altitude Hold on-------29----------------------26
Altitude Hold off ------29----------------------25

As you can see my End Point Values on my transmitter closely match the values on the Setup Client.

What Gain on the Setup Client should I use as a starter for both AL and AH? After flying the Quad if I make an adjustment to the Gain with AL off should I match the gain to AL on as well or just leave it alone?
Yes keep the gain the same during your initial flights. What you are showing above is probably close enough. You may want to change it a bit later as you get a feel for the different modes.

Don't worry too much about the gain. Just start low as you are doing. Flight a few feet off of the ground. It will feel soft (stability wise). Land and turn up the gain by 10 and fly. Repeat until the quad starts to oscillate...then turn it down a bit (maybe 5). The flight should feel much more solid. If the Quad is jumpy try turning the gain down a bit more.
photronix is offline Find More Posts by photronix
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:44 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
Question 1.
I had the filter connected with my Black board for a while and it didnt create any problems. Im now flying without the filter on the black board and again, no problems.

Question 2.
Yes remove the red wire connection from all of your esc's but 1. The videos were done a while ago now and when they were done it hadnt become a confirmed possible problem.

Question 3.
The effect of gain is influenced by a number of factors such as weight, prop size etc in flight so everyones gain settings will be different. The gain settings will take a bit of testing on your part but I started out with settings around 30 on my radio for my Hexa and worked from there. I have been matching the gain on either side of my settings however others may have better info on that.

I have the same size props on the same size motors and same sized esc's. The motors and esc's will get slightly warm with those props and run cooler with the smaller 10x4.7 props
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:27 PM
Canada, ON, Lively
Joined Aug 2011
27 Posts
Thank you Al and Mike for the quick reply. I will do all of your suggestions and then hopefully will try the Quad in a couple of days. This Hoverfly Forum is great .. you have the whole world of information at your beckon. Thanks again.

Bob
Old Sep 24, 2011, 02:22 PM
Canada, ON, Lively
Joined Aug 2011
27 Posts
I have read that the Altitude Hold barometric sensor is sensitive to sunlight and hence can give a false reading and affect altitude. I have also read that covering the sensor with a piece of foam or painting the protection cover with paint will solve the problem.

What methods do you employ to prevent the sun from affecting the sensor? Thank you.

Bob
Old Sep 25, 2011, 08:08 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
Typically, I cover the board with a dome and paint the inside of the dome black.

Quote:
I have read that the Altitude Hold barometric sensor is sensitive to sunlight and hence can give a false reading and affect altitude. I have also read that covering the sensor with a piece of foam or painting the protection cover with paint will solve the problem.

What methods do you employ to prevent the sun from affecting the sensor? Thank you.

Bob
S11D336B is offline Find More Posts by S11D336B
Site Sponsor