HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2011, 08:42 PM
Eat-Sleep-Work-Fly-Repeat
Canada, NL, Division No. 9
Joined Mar 2011
692 Posts
Discussion
Dare I?: Best sub $500 radio?

I'm looking at possibly upgrading from a Dx6i. As a result of a lack of information with regard to the radio and the ar6200 receiver combo I'm starting to get worried about range issues. Right now I never fly over 150-200ft away anyway, always LOS, BUT I would like to do FPV within a 1km range possibly to go up and down long beaches and shorelines.

I'm not really brand loyal as I've only ever had a Hitec Optic 6 and a Spectrum dx6i. I'd like a computer radio (obviously) with 7+ channels.

Any personal experience with the dx8?
Grips is online now Find More Posts by Grips
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2011, 08:44 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
By far the best value would be Turnigy 9X with a FrSky module+receiver(s). It has the channels and range you're looking for.
For about ~$120 shipped. Of course, I'm going to get flamed because it doesn't cost $500.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 21, 2011, 08:53 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
I second the FrSky Module and RX, I use them on everything now with my Futaba 9C radio.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:03 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,737 Posts
Yes... Like "Timecop" said..

I don't have that setup but i have ear a lot of good thing about it..
Dialfonzo is offline Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DiaLFonZo-Copter - Announcement
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:04 PM
United States, NV, North Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
I guess I'm anti Spektrum when it comes to the Tx's... they just feel like cheap plastic toy's... even the DX8

When I felt the need to buy another radio even though my older 9C's are doing fine(using a spektrum module in one,assan or Frsky in the other) I looked at the Aurora9... felt good, NICE gimble's and switch locations where what I was use to on the 9C's... programing is dead easy and I have yet to find an option it does not have that I need/want. The only down side is the touch screen IMHO... it's cool and works fine but I think a regular LCD with a few buttons and a knob for programing would have been more robust. I have an assan module for mine since I already had a bunch of receivers... I see frsky and others making modules for the A9 soon
shultz is offline Find More Posts by shultz
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:05 PM
United Kingdom, England, Weston-super-Mare
Joined Jul 2010
477 Posts
Or the Futaba T8FG Super
jes1111 is offline Find More Posts by jes1111
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:08 PM
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
I have old hitec with assan module, multiplex evo with assan, and airtronic sg-10 and rds 8000. I seem to use the evo still the most, as I like its programming.

I would get the one with programming capability you like in one of the name brand with removable RF module and get frsky module.
Centurion1 is offline Find More Posts by Centurion1
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:09 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,737 Posts
I use a Used JR transmitter with an Assan module.
Dialfonzo is offline Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DiaLFonZo-Copter - Announcement
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:14 PM
United States, MD, Frederick
Joined Aug 2010
394 Posts
While I'm not against using a cheaper Tx at all, I have an Aurora 9 that I spent ~$385 on, and I really, really like it.
kauaicuda is offline Find More Posts by kauaicuda
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:20 PM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grips View Post
I'm looking at possibly upgrading from a Dx6i. As a result of a lack of information with regard to the radio and the ar6200 receiver combo I'm starting to get worried about range issues. Right now I never fly over 150-200ft away anyway, always LOS, BUT I would like to do FPV within a 1km range possibly to go up and down long beaches and shorelines.

I'm not really brand loyal as I've only ever had a Hitec Optic 6 and a Spectrum dx6i. I'd like a computer radio (obviously) with 7+ channels.

Any personal experience with the dx8?
Not entering the conversation on either side BUT...

If you are only getting 150'-200' range something is terribly wrong. I have flown "entry level" Spektrum DX5 with AR500 combinations to altitudes of nearly 2000' confirmed by altimeter.

I currently fly a Park Flyer receiver 6100E with the DX5 and have range tested at 1/2 mile with a Stryker.

Never a problem. You have something other than a radio brand problem and need to pursue further.
Foambird is offline Find More Posts by Foambird
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:23 PM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jes1111 View Post
Or the Futaba T8FG Super
+1. Great quality radio and sbus is supported by DJI WKM.
fajar is offline Find More Posts by fajar
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:26 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
>>I have flown "entry level" Spektrum DX5 with AR500 combinations to altitudes of nearly 2000' confirmed by altimeter.<<

Shhhhhh....you are not suppose to say that. As hobbyists we are NOT suppose to fly over 500' altitude.

The FAA may be listening.

The Spektrum has been tested out to 3 miles with the radio gear mounted on a full scale fixed wing.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:31 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
By far the best value would be Turnigy 9X with a FrSky module+receiver(s)...
It takes the JR module?

I assumed it would take a Futaba module since the Eurgle 9x I have has a receiver with the Futaba channel order and the TX works with my Futaba 10c charger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
Yes, it takes JR modules. Channel order depends on firmware you use, and is also customizable in the menus. It's not really "futaba" specific...
Cool, thanks for the info.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 21, 2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:32 PM
Eat-Sleep-Work-Fly-Repeat
Canada, NL, Division No. 9
Joined Mar 2011
692 Posts
sorry if I was unclear, I meant that I have only been flying about 150-200ft away right now.

What is the story on the Dragonlink systems? Horsesh*t? viable? any good at all? finicky?
Grips is online now Find More Posts by Grips
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:37 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
It takes the JR module?

I assumed it would take a Futaba module since the Eurgle 9x I have has a receiver with the Futaba channel order and the TX works with my Futaba 10c charger.
Yes, it takes JR modules. Channel order depends on firmware you use, and is also customizable in the menus. It's not really "futaba" specific.

Old versions had some fitting problems but whatever you get from HK now (as of at least a year ago or so) correctly fits the module. You will need to cut the antenna wire from included 9X transmitter module but it's useless anyway.

Quote:
What is the story on the Dragonlink systems? Horsesh*t? viable? any good at all? finicky?
What's wrong with 1.5-2.5km range on FrSky? You got $300 burning a hole in your pocket? j/k, spend away! Funny I haven't heard much about ImmersionRC UHF modules recently, did they die or something?
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop