HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2011, 03:22 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,960 Posts
Discussion
What are your two best cheap RC hobby ideas?

We all know the hobby can be expensive, but most of us also know how to pinch a penny or two, so that we can buy the quality stuff even if it takes big dollars sometimes.

So I realized I try to economize a lot in using stuff I can find in Dollar stores and hardware stores rather than the premium it takes to buy those things when they are labeled for RC use....

So what are two things you do that are cheap ways to stretch a buck without hurting quality?

Here are my two for the day:

1) I saw a bunch of 'epoxy stir sticks' and "glue application brushes" for sale at the LHS last time I went in, I just laughed because what I do is save the clipped ends of large wire-ties (smaller ones won't work as well) and they make perfect stirrers and also applicators for epoxy. You can also use 'em again and again if you just wait until the glue dries, then clip off the used end.

2) In the same vein, I saw 'disposable epoxy cups' for sale, too. Again, I laughed, because every time I have a two liter drink finished, I unscrew it's cap and save it for the perfect one-time use glue pot. Just chuck it when you are done, although I usually leave it on the bench, so that I can check *IT* and not the actual model being glued if I want to know how the setting process is progressing.

tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Sep 21, 2011 at 09:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2011, 08:30 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Tracknoob,

Just to chime in here.... If I was a betting man, I'd guess you're over 60 years old, by your words of wisdom, and your location. Me too, 60+, nothing wrong with that. If I'm wrong, you're years beyond your age. Lol!

I use the "Dollar Store" types a lot, you can get a big bag of popsicle sticks for a buck. Very handy for various projects. Also, small pliers and side-cutters. Rubber bands, etc. Just let your imagination work for the best.

I go to "Garage Sales" in the summer time, never know what you'll pick up in one of those.

Hopefully others will chime in with their "Savings Plan" and tips.

Dave
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Sep 21, 2011, 08:39 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersrule View Post
Tracknoob,

Just to chime in here.... If I was a betting man, I'd guess you're over 60 years old, by your words of wisdom, and your location.

I use the "Dollar Store" types a lot, you can get a big bag of popsicle sticks for a buck. Very handy for various projects. Also, small pliers and side-cutters. Rubber bands, etc. Just let your imagination work for the best.

I go to "Garage Sales" in the summer time, never know what you'll pick up in one of those.

Hopefully others will chime in with their "Savings Plan" and tips.

Dave
Thanks for the reply and additional ideas, Dave!

Early fifties here, but it's often said that I am "cheap beyond my years!" (laugh!)

(Is it wrong for me to be proud of that?)

About those garage sales, and estate sales, I've always heard great things, but my own few experiences in my earlier days made me think it's all junk and there has to be an 'inside' way to get the 'good stuff'. Never worked out for me, and I just gave up trying to go, but that was back before I took early retirement...

So, any quick tips for a total noob in that dept or is that a whole 'nuther can of worms?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 08:55 PM
Malaysia, Pulau Pinang, Tanjong Bungah
Joined Mar 2011
620 Posts
hi tracknoob,

this is a nice thread started,
and i fully support this idea.

i always trying very hard to save a few bucks
and have that satisfy feeling
sam1741 is offline Find More Posts by sam1741
Old Sep 21, 2011, 08:59 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Tracknoob,

I'll PM ya, on retirement stuff, tomorrow with lots of questions. Lol!

Let this thread begin on tips. Let's hear your ideas, ya lurkers. LOL! Share your ideas...

Dave
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:01 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
875 Posts
OHhhhhhh.....I have a good one....For the very first time I have found an internet heli supplier rite here in the states that has FREE shipping !!! no matter your dollar amount...Ther in Washington state. shipping takes like 3 days. And they always I mean always have the parts I need in stock....Just think of all the money saved over time with FREE SHIPPING....are you holding your breath ? ha.......Here is the link www.highflyheli.com......p.s they seem to have cheaper prices than the norm as well
jenn123 is offline Find More Posts by jenn123
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:04 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn123 View Post
OHhhhhhh.....I have a good one....For the very first time I have found an internet heli supplier rite here in the states that has FREE shipping !!! no matter your dollar amount...Ther in Washington state. shipping takes like 3 days. And they always I mean always have the parts I need in stock....Just think of all the money saved over time with FREE SHIPPING....are you holding your breath ? ha.......Here is the link www.highflyheli.com
Hey Kiddo,

Thanks for that one, I just saved it, in my Favorites on the old computer. Good luck on the 600 trek..

Dave
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:21 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,960 Posts
Budget Hobby Vice and Clamps

Awesome input, guys! thanks for the enthusiasm -- glad to know I am not the only penny pinching hobbyist out there!

And in all seriousness, when you take the time to ask "What do I REALLY need to get this task I have in mind done? " don't you almost always come up with not only a better, but a cheaper solution than the 'shrink wrapped' hobby store solution?

I hope I (or others) don't get into ranking out the LHS -- we need those guys! And the mail order places, too! Need 'em all! Heck, I swing by McD's when I am too rushed to cook, and same with turn-key solutions from LHS.

But if you are 'of a certain age" (ahem), then I'll bet the most impressed you have ever been with models, or engines, or solutions of any type, have been the homegrown ones.... AM I RIGHT? CAN I GET AN AMEN FROM THE CONGREGATION?

(heh heh)

I can't resist giving another one: I noticed my current cheesy little "chip clips" that I picked up from the store years ago were awfully weak, and not really sealing as positively as I'd like. So, my next trip to Publix, I happened across a tri-pack of clips -- @ around $2.49 I think, but you can't believe what I thought of as soon as I got them home and realized how truly nice and firm they are:

These will be perfect for holding parts while gluing or working, without damaging them, instead of those expensive hobby vices!

I know discussion of 'chip clips' from the supermarket might seem odd, but dang it -- these are really well-designed! They have just enough spring tension and the tension is very linear (notice it's a nice chromed coil spring, not just a single leaf or "V" shaped sliver of pot metal)-- it's not too weak, or overpoweringly crushing. They also have an excellent rubber grip, which keeps them from slipping. I am a person who likes tools, and hates cheap crap that falls apart or doesn't work. So when you *do* in this day and age find a 'thing' whatever that thing's function, that does what it is supposed to do, it's almost a joy in and of itself! (I just need to be ready to finish a bag of chips next time I have a major crash repair!)

I'll bet there are 'purpose designed' hobby clamps that are not as fit-for-use as these are.

Last edited by tracknoob; Sep 22, 2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:57 PM
Thanks Dad!
Bellport, NY, USA
Joined Feb 2001
222 Posts
RacerPaul is offline Find More Posts by RacerPaul
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:12 AM
USA, NY, Cedarhurst
Joined Mar 2010
1,009 Posts
I donít buy epoxy cups and stir sticks.... always used cardboard or whatever else I have on hand.

But, I did save a bunch of money on my car insurance be switching to gieco.
vicovaludemero is offline Find More Posts by vicovaludemero
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:30 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicovaludemero View Post
I donít buy epoxy cups and stir sticks.... always used cardboard or whatever else I have on hand.

But, I did save a bunch of money on my car insurance be switching to gieco.
Money aside, is it possible that the real reason is that you might have a 'thing' for Geccos...? I kinda prefer the dark haired girl that works in the other insurance place...although anyone as bubbly as her might get on your nerves after a while...

Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:36 AM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,240 Posts
Nice thread.
Just posting so I could be subscribed
Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:38 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,960 Posts
No Freeloading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
Nice thread.
Just posting so I could be subscribed
Jim
No freeloading, Jim!!!! (LOL)

Cough up the goods -- I *know* you are good for two cheap ideas... don't be bashful even if you think they are small, there is always someone who hasn't thought or heard of it, and will benefit.

TWO IDEAS! THE PRICE OF ADMISSION TO MY THREAD!!!!

PONY UP YOU FREELOADERS -- I KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

Last edited by tracknoob; Sep 22, 2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:12 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,960 Posts
Bring a dustpan on your walk of shame!

Okay, this one might qualify as a penny pincher idea:

The "Broken Parts Bag."

I happen to like the old helis, and in particular, I somehow grew a fondness for the Kalt Whisper. It's one of the first electrics, and it's somewhere between a 450 electric and a 30 nitro in size.

The tragedy of my love affair (there is always tragedy, no?) is that this heli *can* be a nice flyer, but it is made ONLY to fly, and never to crash! Thus the fate of most of these was to be relegated to the trash bin after a noob like me packed it in and blew it to smithereens on it's maiden.

I have purchased several crashed birds, and through careful dis-assembly, reassembly, parts selection and swapping, plus buying a few select NIB parts, been able to field a couple of 'like new' Whispers.

Through all of that, you can imagine that I have inherited (okay, okay also caused) a lot of busted parts.

I NEVER THROW A BROKEN WHISPER PART AWAY!

It can at worst be a partial pattern for a replacement, and at best, be glued, spliced, bolted or otherwise re-purposed into another Whisper project.

Here are my four major parts 'bags' for the Whispers:

And here is both a brand new frame, that had about everything else on the heli busted or missing.... then I had a heli with most components good, but a totally trashed frame -- front broken off, and tail cracked, etc. and I spiced two bad frames into one, reinforced the bad areas with epoxy and some perf board 'plate', and while heavier than the original, this should work fine to make my "Bitsa" Whisper trainer go (brushless power, so weight not an issue), so I don't have to endanger my better 'original' models while learning more about flying this heli.

Take a look at this wealth of possible spares just waiting to be fixed and reused somewhere... (I try to put a wire-tie on bad parts that might get accidentally mixed in with good parts prior to repair.

My current Whisper 'fleet (less two on the bench torn down to the frame, and one NIB never-built in my closet):
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:20 AM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,240 Posts
Here's one I remember that saved me TIME. Time is money after all right?
You Tube - When I first started with cp helis and crashed I needed to repl the main gear.
I was evaluating everything and thought I would have to split the frame halves to get at the gear etc.
Went on You Tube and typed in "replacing cp main gear". Found a nice instructional video and turns out the frame did not need to be split and that the gear would slide right off after the main shaft was lifted out.
Second nature now to repl main gears if/ when I have to. As a noob though I didn't know this at the time.
You Tube saved me about 1-2 hours of disassembly/ reassembly time.

Also - posting your questions here can get you some good answers/ info.

Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp