SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:27 AM
United States, MI, Marquette
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Yippee!
First time builder, Just posting some pics

Hi all,

Just wanted to post some pics of my first build. The plane i am building is the Carl Goldberg anniversary edition Cub "As if another cub was needed on the forums " So far so good, everything seems to be turning out nice and straight. I have the engine run up in a stand with a pull bottle of fuel through it.
The only thing i havent decided on is color, although i would like to do something different im not sure how. I will be covering with solartex and was wondering what is the best way to ad detail, paint and then some sort of clear coat over the top ?
Taget is offline Find More Posts by Taget
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CNC Machine update.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2011, 03:42 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,588 Posts
Looking good. There's always room for another Cub.

As for covering, I would certainly use paint over Solartex for lettering and so-on and, depending on what paint I use, I probably wouldn't bother with anything on top. That's the way it is with my all-yellow Cub.

If you're going for larger areas of colour, like a sunburst scheme on the wing, I think you should consider self-adhesive trim, such as SolarTrim -- or even iron-on SolarFilm. Then you would be advised to at least coat the edges to prevent it lifting.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Sep 23, 2011, 04:28 PM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Abenn, thanks for the kind words

Couple of questions..

1. Fuel proofing, i was going to use enamel paint and enamel clearcoat in the engine compartment, will this work ?

2. i sprayed the fuse with primer, do others do that. If so should i also prime the wing ?

3. Here is a pic with the engine mounted and cowl on, sure felt like i was taking a lot of that cowl off to make it fit. What is adequate for clearance so the cowl isn't affected by heat ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2011, 02:27 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,588 Posts
In the engine department I would use epoxy -- I use the stuff I've got for making fibreglass, so it just brushes on like paint; but I believe you can thin down epoxy glue with acetone so that it brushes on.

Clearcote is advertised as being a fuel-proofer, but it goes on a bit thin for my liking for the engine bay. You could build up several coats though.

I don't bother coating any of the fuselage behind the fuel tank area. It's good to do the fuel tank bay with fuel-proofer though, in case your tank leaks.

I leave about 1/8" around my engine and exhaust. With my Cub (84", not CG though) I mounted my 4-stroke engine inverted so that it didn't show so much. I used a flexible exhaust so that I could keep it within the cowl, with the silencer poking out the bottom of the cowl up against the firewall.

By the way, you say it's your first build, but are you a resonably experienced flyer already? A big Cub like that is not for learners
Old Sep 24, 2011, 08:30 AM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Thanks for the info, I was at lowes yesterday and they had fibergalss resin "decent size can for about 17 bucks" Ill use that for fuelproofing. I also have the float kit ready for finishing and in the intstructions it says you can use a polyester resin for final finishing and waterproofing, avoiding the need for covering. would fiberglass resin be a suitable substitute ?

I have been flying for just over a year now, started with the HZ supercub then um t-28 and j-3, and have spent the summer flying my bigger t-28 and a micro SSX (so much fun). My local club has been very supportive with teaching and pointers to make the learning process smooth
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2011, 08:50 AM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
762 Posts
Taget, Fuel proofing the engine compartment was a good choice, however primeing the fuse may have been a mistake depending on what you used to prime it with and what you intend to cover it with. Most people prime the covering ( if fabric ) after its been applied and then not allways. Depends on the look desired. My only concerns other than you added non necessary weight to the fuse is adheasion of the covering material to the primer. I hope it works out for you, and keep up the great build!....Gene
gene6029 is offline Find More Posts by gene6029
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:21 PM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Thanks Gene, The primer is only a light coat so it can easily be removed. Actually it will help me find any low spots I am going to be using Solartex, just need to save up the cash.

Anyone have any thoughts on the fiberglass resin for the floats ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:58 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
cgts! you're now up to the worst part of building.
sand your shapes then the dubious task of spackel the entire plane & sand again. fun!
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Sep 29, 2011, 04:57 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,441 Posts
I love the sanding and shaping.... making her come to life
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Oct 28, 2011, 07:40 AM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Build Update

Here are some pictures of my first covering job. The tail group is complete as far as covering goes and im pretty satisfied with the results. I am using MonoKote for the covering material and had ordered the matching paint in spray can to go with it but the color doesn't come close to matching. I am thinking of taking it to a paint shop and see if they can match it better.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2011, 08:15 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,588 Posts
I go to my local Halfords (a UK motor spares chain) when I want matching paint, and usually manage to find one in their spray cans for cars.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:17 PM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Update.

Just posting an update to my build. Fuselage is covered and the wing is partially covered but i am going to redo the wing as i did not like how the wingtips were coming out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:11 PM
Canada, MB, Oakbank
Joined Dec 2004
686 Posts
Looks very nice from here. Wish I could get my wingtips to look remotely like yours.
NEW222 is offline Find More Posts by NEW222
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:14 PM
Canada, MB, Oakbank
Joined Dec 2004
686 Posts
What do I see in the background? Is that a cargo hauler of some kind?
NEW222 is offline Find More Posts by NEW222
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:17 AM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
762 Posts
Taget, nice job of covering! Looks like it wont be long & you'll have her in the air. Keep up the good work....Gene
gene6029 is offline Find More Posts by gene6029