HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:26 AM
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Jun 2011
97 Posts
Discussion
What radio to fly HZ Champ?

Hi there, new to the forum and new to R/C flying. I have been flying my HZ Champ and having fun, but the stock TX runs out of range pretty fast. I want to replace it with a TX that has the same stick functions as the stock TX. I am thinking it may be Mode2 or maybe Mode4? Anyway, what would be the least expensive TX that would be full power and bind to the Champ? I know there are really nice radios out there, but as I have just started in the hobby, I would like to keep it affordable for now and then maybe upgrade to a real nice radio later. Thanks in advance of your advice!
257Roberts is offline Find More Posts by 257Roberts
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:30 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,110 Posts
The Champ RTF comes with a DSM2 transmitter that is already bound to the airplane. Note that the 2.4GHz radio is DSM2, which means you can bind the Champ to any DSM2 radio such as a Spektrum DX5e,DX6i,DX7 & DX8.

Now with that said the receiver will also play a big role in range and so changing TX may add a bit more distance but you may be spending on a tx and find yourself with limited range.

My choice in your situation would be a new or used DX6i.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:11 AM
Joined Jun 2011
97 Posts
If the TX has more distance, wouldn't that equal to more "range"? Are there any other brand radios compatible with the DSM2 technology that HZ and PZ uses other than Spektrum? Thanks.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:27 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,110 Posts
Example you have a 400m capable tx and a 400m capable rx and change the TX to full range you are still left with a 400m capable receiver and why you are most likely hitting receiver limits and not transmitter limits with your current setup and why I said you may not see an improvement by simply changing the radio.

DSM2 is propriatary to SPEKTRUM, you can get other brand DSM2 compatible receiver but not the other way around. Atleast not yet or that I am aware of.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:34 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Roberts View Post
If the TX has more distance, wouldn't that equal to more "range"? Are there any other brand radios compatible with the DSM2 technology that HZ and PZ uses other than Spektrum? Thanks.
You will definitely get more range by going to a "full range" transmitter like DX5e or DX6i. Range is a function of both transmitter power and receiver sensitivity. I don't know what the ultimate range of the little receiver unit is, but it should be ample for the Champ.

Only Spektrum transmitters (and JR and other brands sold by HH) work on DSM2 (and now DSMX).

The transmitter for the Champ as sold in North America is mode 2.

The DX6i would be a much better choice for the long run than the DX5e because it has full programming and 10 model memories. For the Champ, both will work equally well and the DX5e is a lot cheaper, but for future models the DX5e is extremely limiting.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Sep 21, 2011, 04:40 PM
Joined Jun 2011
97 Posts
Okay Daelalus, that's good advice and enough to get me pointed in the right direction. I may wait and start looking for the 6i or just go ahead and get the 5e. I guess if I get the 5e I could keep it as a spare if I upgraded later or use it as a training box for my friends who are pestering me to let them fly my plane. Some can barely drive their car much less something that travels in 3 dimensions! Thank you both.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:04 PM
Joined Jun 2011
97 Posts
Still confused about mode 2 and mode 4. The stock transmitter has the throttle and ailerons (which the Champ does not have) on the left stick and the elevator and rudder on the right stick. Which mode is that? I am thinking it is mode 4. Whichever one it is, I would like to stay with that mode since I have learned to fly with the stock tx. Are all mode 2 transmitters convertible to mode 4? Thanks.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 07:47 AM
United States, TN, Chattanooga
Joined Aug 2011
131 Posts
I had the same issues with my champ and it losing reception at relatively close distances. I bought a DX5e and that has worked great! I can now fly the little champ til it's a speck in the sky and not lose control.

If you live in the USA you'll want to get a mode 2 tx. That's what I got and the sticks work just like the stock tx.
sporez is offline Find More Posts by sporez
Old Sep 29, 2011, 01:50 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Roberts View Post
Still confused about mode 2 and mode 4. The stock transmitter has the throttle and ailerons (which the Champ does not have) on the left stick and the elevator and rudder on the right stick. Which mode is that? I am thinking it is mode 4. Whichever one it is, I would like to stay with that mode since I have learned to fly with the stock tx. Are all mode 2 transmitters convertible to mode 4? Thanks.
With a three channel model like the champ, you always fly the primary turn control, whether aileron or rudder, on the right stick if you are a mode 1 OR mode 2 flier.

Modes 3 and 4 are essentially "left-handed" versions of modes 1 and 2. So if you were a mode 3 or 4 flier you'd have your primary turn control on the left stick. For most purposes you should totally forget about modes 3 and 4.

If you have a transmitter with mixing and are flying a three channel model, you should have rudder on the right (aileron) stick but mix rudder --> aileron so you can also steer with the left hand. This enables you to practice ground steering with the left hand while you control turn in flight with the right hand. This is not essential but it does help to build the proper skills.

Don't try flying three channel with the rudder on the left stick if you want to avoid screwing up your flying skills.

By the way, the stock transmitter is a normal mode 2 with aileron (channel 2) on the right and rudder (channel 4) on the left. The Champ receiver is what switches things so that the rudder servo is running off channel 2 (aileron). Now is this all perfectly clear? There will be a test tomorrow.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Sep 29, 2011 at 01:56 PM.