SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:33 AM
Joined Jul 2011
135 Posts
Discussion
new to flying wings....

g'day folks, just wondering if anyone can shed some light on the whole flying wings, im mildly intreaged in getting one, we get some windy days where i live and not being able to fly is a killer, ive heard the flying wings can be flown in any condition, and there fun to fly too, would anyone be willing to tell me a bit more about them and some personal experiences with them, i would like something fast, that can also do some aerobatics, are they hard to build??? ive seen hobby king has a blue coloured one called a bonzi or something along those lines, they any good or if not maybe can anyone suggest something, i dont want this to be expensive build, ie i would like to be a tight ass on it, haha, no what i mean is within reason, love some feedback off anyone...
keithy351 is offline Find More Posts by keithy351
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2011, 01:11 PM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,779 Posts
the bonzi is basically just an ms composit swift 2 and is a very good wing capable of speed in the 60ish mph range and will take wind just fine if you build it 12oz or so its also very cheap and can be powered for very little money

seeing as your only shooting for 10-12oz auw look for 100W motor in the 1600-1800kv range swing a 6x5-7x5 prop on your choice of 2-3 cells

lots of fun!
turbored21 is offline Find More Posts by turbored21
Old Sep 21, 2011, 02:16 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Apr 2009
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy351 View Post
g'day folks, just wondering if anyone can shed some light on the whole flying wings, im mildly intreaged in getting one, we get some windy days where i live and not being able to fly is a killer, ive heard the flying wings can be flown in any condition, and there fun to fly too, would anyone be willing to tell me a bit more about them and some personal experiences with them, i would like something fast, that can also do some aerobatics, are they hard to build??? ive seen hobby king has a blue coloured one called a bonzi or something along those lines, they any good or if not maybe can anyone suggest something, i dont want this to be expensive build, ie i would like to be a tight ass on it, haha, no what i mean is within reason, love some feedback off anyone...
I like my BattleWing from BattleWing.net. Comes with 2 batteries and an extra prop. It's ARF, just add an Rx and go. Wingspan is 31", has unlimited vertical or at least as high as I dare fly, and is very stable at low speeds. Since it is EPP it is almost unbreakable. The seller will repair it free if you are unable.
Check it out.
Bob
wslco10 is offline Find More Posts by wslco10
Old Sep 21, 2011, 03:26 PM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
332 Posts
Flying wings are a blast to fly. Just read the top 10 or 20 threads in this group to get some ideas on the most popular wings.
michaelingp is online now Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Sep 23, 2011, 09:36 AM
Joined Jul 2011
135 Posts
thanks for the imput guys, have been doing some reading, quiet excited to grab a wing, will post up when i decide which to get ect. thanks very much
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:05 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,726 Posts
Quote:
What planform are you interested in; chevron, delta, plank or forward swept?
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:21 PM
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Sep 2011
39 Posts
I bought my Zagi-HP a while back and have flown it just fine in 15-20 MPH winds. The Zagi flight characteristics take a bit of getting used to but I love it. It is a blast to fly and even combat with and it can take a beating like nothing else I've seen out there. Plus they sell plenty of spare parts at the website so I don't need to build another one-of-a-kind custom part if I break something. Anyways thats my 2 cents worth for you.
Ofcalipka is offline Find More Posts by Ofcalipka
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:14 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,806 Posts
Please help me with my F117!!!

Check out my post @

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post19407211
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:07 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
do u want it fast and light? fast and heavy? for a windy day in the 40mph i would go for fast and heavy but if your "windy day" is 10mph go with light and fast

light = a lot of sweep
heavy = not so much sweep

heres a video of a fast and heavy model this was a windy day roughly 30-35mph winds
1m flying wing 2200kv jamison park penrith (5 min 51 sec)
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au
Old Sep 27, 2011, 07:17 AM
Joined Jul 2011
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza2003au View Post
do u want it fast and light? fast and heavy? for a windy day in the 40mph i would go for fast and heavy but if your "windy day" is 10mph go with light and fast

light = a lot of sweep
heavy = not so much sweep

heres a video of a fast and heavy model this was a windy day roughly 30-35mph winds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR7EfQcLlPA
hey mate, your windy days will be similar to mine, i live down in wollongong so as you can imagine we get some prett gusty days espically when the southerly kicks in in the arvo and decides to hang around for a few days
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:06 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
Quote:
hey mate, your windy days will be similar to mine, i live down in wollongong so as you can imagine we get some prett gusty days espically when the southerly kicks in in the arvo and decides to hang around for a few days
yeah mate the southerly sucks anywhere along the coast i was down wollongong on sunday it was blowing a gale
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:14 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,726 Posts
Quote:
yeah mate the southerly sucks anywhere along the coast i was down wollongong on sunday it was blowing a gale
Sounds like you should take up slope soaring!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:37 AM
Joined Jul 2011
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT56 View Post
Sounds like you should take up slope soaring!
watching some guys slope soaring a wing is what first got me interested in one, i live covered in cliffs, but what scares me with slope soaring is not knowing what to do and loosing the plane also
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:38 AM
Joined Jul 2011
135 Posts
Quote:
yeh mate so u see my predicament, maybe the heavy option is the better, i have sent you a pm also if u can kindly just check it out
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:52 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,726 Posts
Quote:
watching some guys slope soaring a wing is what first got me interested in one, i live covered in cliffs, but what scares me with slope soaring is not knowing what to do and loosing the plane also
You could always slope the powered wing. That will let you use power to recover the model in the event you have trouble.