Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 21, 2011, 08:22 AM
Level 1 Pilot
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Aug 2011
82 Posts
Discussion
My first ARF - Hobbistar 60

This is my fist ARF. I decided to go with the Hobbistar 60 because I read good things about it. As you'll see I am making progress. The wings aren't glued yet. I just test fit them together and I wanted to see how big the wing span really was. I'm putting an OS 65ax in it. Pardon the messy utility room.

-bill
BrewmeisterBill is offline Find More Posts by BrewmeisterBill
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:32 AM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,430 Posts
That's going to be a great flying plane!!! Will this be your trainer? Do you fly with NVRC?
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:50 AM
Level 1 Pilot
Joined Aug 2011
82 Posts
I am looking forward to flying this gentle giant. I do plan on using this as my trainer even though I'm currently using my father-in-law's trainer to get my solo license. I figured I would still be in trainer-mode (for a while) even after I solo.

I'm a member of the Fredericksburg Aeromasters.

-bill
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:55 AM
Idiot Savant
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined Sep 2002
237 Posts
Looking good, Bill. I just finished one myself. I built one to begin teaching my 8-yr old son. I mounted an OS 65 LA on ours; found a new one for $60 and just couldn't pass it up.

Since you haven't glued the wing consider installing dual aileron servos. I have heard flaperons makes this plane a total pussycat on landings. I went with dual aileron servos by using (2) Hitec HS-5245MG Digital Mini servos that I had laying around. They're small enough that they'll fit side-by-side in the single servo bay provided with very little modification. Hitec HS-85 servos will drop right in with no mods required.
ptgarcia is offline Find More Posts by ptgarcia
Old Sep 21, 2011, 02:49 PM
Level 1 Pilot
Joined Aug 2011
82 Posts
Can you provide any details on the dual aileron servo install? At first I thought you might be referring to putting the servos in the wings, which was mentioned in an article I recently found about putting the Hobbistar together. But your way sounds less intrusive, especially for a newbe like myself. You mention digital servos but what I have on hand aren't. Mine are the 425s, if I recall.

-bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgarcia View Post
Looking good, Bill. I just finished one myself. I built one to begin teaching my 8-yr old son. I mounted an OS 65 LA on ours; found a new one for $60 and just couldn't pass it up.

Since you haven't glued the wing consider installing dual aileron servos. I have heard flaperons makes this plane a total pussycat on landings. I went with dual aileron servos by using (2) Hitec HS-5245MG Digital Mini servos that I had laying around. They're small enough that they'll fit side-by-side in the single servo bay provided with very little modification. Hitec HS-85 servos will drop right in with no mods required.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 04:03 PM
Idiot Savant
Joined Sep 2002
237 Posts
I'll tell you what, when I get home I'll post a couple pictures. Like you, I didn't want to cut the covering and construct a servo bay in the middle of the wing so what I did was fit two aileron servos where the instructions call for one by using a mini servo. Now, I used expensive ($50 each) digital servos only because I had them on hand, but they are more servo than needed. Side-by-side, they are only slightly wider than the provided opening in the joined wing, so just a little trimming and reinforcing was required. If you use a slightly smaller servo, such as the HS-81 ($13) or HS-85 ($20) you may not have to do any trimming/reinforcing. Two HS-81 side-by-side are only 4mm wider than an HS-425BB standard servo and offer 78% of the torque (remember, you are using two now so only 50% of the torque is needed). A simple picture will clear things up for you so I'll post one after work tonight.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 04:18 PM
Level 1 Pilot
Joined Aug 2011
82 Posts
That would be great! A picture is worth a 1000s words.

Thanks again, -bill
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:56 PM
Idiot Savant
Joined Sep 2002
237 Posts
Here you go, Bill, a pic as promised. Nothing to the mod, really.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:25 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,057 Posts
Do those things have any dihedral?
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:12 AM
Idiot Savant
Joined Sep 2002
237 Posts
Yeah, about 2-1/2" in the 71" wing.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 06:34 AM
Level 1 Pilot
Joined Aug 2011
82 Posts
Thanks, Paul.

I'm assuming you reinforced inside the wings so you could screw down the servos since the included servo tray no longer fit? Or would it be just as easy to make a larger tray to accommodate the two servos?

I'm betting I could just enlarge the servo tray to fit the two. Though I guess I should check the servo length to make sure they aren't too short front to back and then I won't be able to screw into the servo tray.

Update:

Doesn't look like the micro servos will fit since they would just fall through the current opening of 1.6". The screw holes for HS-81 (1.42"), HS-82MG (1.42"), and HS-85BB (1.42") wouldn't have any wood to grab into w/o a mod of some sort. I reckon I could just get another 425BB and just widen the opening a little more? The servo tray would have to be trimmed or just cut in half and slid over to make sure the screws have wood in dig into.

Thoughts?

-bill
Last edited by BrewmeisterBill; Sep 22, 2011 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Upon further research...
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:54 AM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Joined Mar 2011
1,178 Posts
My $0.02...

I learned to fly and got my wings on the RTF version of the Hobbistar this year. It came equipped with an OS 65 LA.

I couldn't have been more pleased. It's a big, easy plane to fly and land, and it's still lots of fun for me. Touch and gos are my favourite thing.
grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:35 AM
Idiot Savant
Joined Sep 2002
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewmeisterBill View Post
Thanks, Paul.

I'm assuming you reinforced inside the wings so you could screw down the servos since the included servo tray no longer fit? Or would it be just as easy to make a larger tray to accommodate the two servos?

I'm betting I could just enlarge the servo tray to fit the two. Though I guess I should check the servo length to make sure they aren't too short front to back and then I won't be able to screw into the servo tray.

Update:

Doesn't look like the micro servos will fit since they would just fall through the current opening of 1.6". The screw holes for HS-81 (1.42"), HS-82MG (1.42"), and HS-85BB (1.42") wouldn't have any wood to grab into w/o a mod of some sort. I reckon I could just get another 425BB and just widen the opening a little more? The servo tray would have to be trimmed or just cut in half and slid over to make sure the screws have wood in dig into.

Thoughts?

-bill

Bill,

Yes, I reinforced the opening with some hardwood I had. I CA'd pieces to the inside of the wing, making sure to tie into the existing structural portions of the wing. It really is a quick and easy mod.

I would suggest you utilize that tray they provide, use two servos that can fit between the sides with a minimum amount of widening, and shorten the opening as required with a couple short sticks of hardwood laid across it. Screw and glue and it will be solid. The servos I used are shorter than standards, too.

These servos should drop in with minimal effort: http://servocity.com/html/hs-82mg_servo.html

Last edited by ptgarcia; Sep 22, 2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:26 AM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Joined Mar 2011
1,178 Posts
Bill, I suggest you fuelproof the engine bay - I'm glad I did. I used 30 minute epoxy, some brushes and a heat gun.
grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
Last edited by grosbeak; Jan 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:35 AM
Level 1 Pilot
Joined Aug 2011
82 Posts
The whole thing? It looks like the wood has been treated as it's very glossy (like the firewall). I did seal down the edges of the covering inside the engine compartment per the instructions. I guess it wouldn't hurt to cover all three sides with epoxy just to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grosbeak View Post
Bill, I suggest you fuelproof the engine bay - I'm glad I did. I used 30 minutes epoxy, some brushes and a heat gun.
Last edited by BrewmeisterBill; Sep 23, 2011 at 11:37 AM. Reason: typos