HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Phil Davy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 07:36 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
1,024 Posts
Trader Rating: 128
Sold
***Shark XL Strong 4.5 meter 2.4 safe RTF***

Ok, up for sale is one of my Shark XL's. Imported by www.SkipMillerModels.com. Pro built by Lenny Keer all new parts went into this Sailplane. This big beauty has all the smooth characteristics of a scale Sailplane in flight, smooth, fast and graceful with high energy retention. But the Shark XL has more, with the six servo wings coupled it is very nimble and has an exceptionally fast roll rate (15 feet of control surface) and loop rate (full flying stab) to do all the stuff I do with my Espada R's on the slope. This same layup has been DS'd to 200MPH. At 12.5LBS AUW it carries energy a long way but still the wing loading is low. I have flown it in as little as 6-8 MPH winds at Torrey pines. Fully ballasted to 17.5LBS it hauls the mail! In fact, even though I am just a sport flyer not an F3F Racer, I took it out on one of the So Cal Slope Racing (SCSR) practices and ran a solid 38XX with my Shark XL and it was the second fastest time of the day running against FS3's Aris's Ceres's etc... BTW I was flying it at 15LBS that day. These are very rare to see and they dominate their flying environment when they are in the air. The fit and finish is "A" quality. It is built by StratAir in Austria (makers of Stiegiesen, Europhia etc..). These are very rare to see and take a while to order. It also has a tow hook installed in case you have the USA Bobsleding team to help you launch it!. :-0 It is truly a masterpiece of a Sailplane. See the list and information below for more. BTW StratAir has an E-fuse for this plane you can get from www.Skipmillermodels.com There is a video of my other Shark XL below. In the clip below the Shark XL is on maiden flight in 13-15MPH wind with no ballast. You can here Marty Dine, John Vance and Aaron talking about my ballast kit. Thanks to Mark Canfield for the video footage. You can also hit the HD and see it in high definition.

http://www.skipmillermodels.com/Shark_p/shark_xl.htm

Shark XL (2 min 15 sec)
Phil Davy is offline Find More Posts by Phil Davy
Last edited by Phil Davy; Sep 21, 2011 at 04:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2011, 08:05 AM
Helmet...check!!!
United States, WI, Prairie du Sac
Joined Sep 2010
52 Posts
Trader Rating: 36
I hope you guys realize how nice you have it... what a perfect flying environment.
AndyRice_WI is offline Find More Posts by AndyRice_WI
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:25 AM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,903 Posts
Trader Rating: 20
Oh yeah--SoCal is probably the "Mecca" for slope flying. There's great sites other parts of the country--but not one with weather you can fly all year around--and SOO MANY great sites to fly at!!! We're in SLOPER COUNTRY!!!
Hey Phil---I want the "Red" one!!!
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:07 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,024 Posts
We do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRice_WI View Post
I hope you guys realize how nice you have it... what a perfect flying environment.
Enough to pay big mortgages to be near it. It sounds like San Diego is calling you. Come on over anytime.

Phil
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:14 AM
Yes, ALL your money...
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,477 Posts
Trader Rating: 45
Is that a big aerodynamic counterbalance on the rudder?
winchdoc is online now Find More Posts by winchdoc
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:44 AM
United States, CA, Auburn
Joined Oct 2010
366 Posts
Trader Rating: 5
Nice Video Phill, but I want to see one of your patented had catches....
Shawn in NorCal is offline Find More Posts by Shawn in NorCal
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:56 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,024 Posts
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchdoc View Post
Is that a big aerodynamic counterbalance on the rudder?
Yeah, that is why I messed up some of my first spiral turns you can see in the video. That thing really works. Now, I like to do the big wingovers and throw a bit of counter rudder in just as I start coming over the top and it just feathers right into the downline.

Phil
Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:19 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,024 Posts
Hand catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn in NorCal View Post
Nice Video Phill, but I want to see one of your patented had catches....
Your hand won't fit around the front of the fuse very well. It is really big. It is an oval shape about 5" tall and 3" wide. It just looks smaller because the plane is huge. 177" wingspan. I think the rudder is 18" tall
Closed Thread