SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:12 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
vibration - you could be right. I have not noticed anything different when it's on full power and assumed it's centered (or close to it). Don't see there's much room to maneuver when inserting the prop adapter that would allowed it to be off center. But I guess anything off position could loosen thing over time.

throws - this is one of my first concern when building the plane. Since then I haven't given it much thought. She handles fine on low and high rates. The long aileron surface areas seem to be doing its job. For me, rudder is best on medium or high rates during take-offs since she will steer left.
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:51 AM
NY Slope Dog
Syracuse, NY
Joined Sep 2003
821 Posts
Quick question: would this plane be legal for the EF1 spec class (with the right power system?)
-------
Oops, just checked the rules and the wing area doesn't qualify (254 sq in vs 375 square inches).

Wonder why GP would offer a plane "so close" to being EF1 legal and then "miss the boat"....
Wind Junkie is offline Find More Posts by Wind Junkie
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Wind Junkie; Nov 11, 2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 03:01 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,348 Posts
Yeah,
My question too. I guess that competitive event legal models are hit and miss with the big manufacturers. They made the SPA/BPA/CPA legal Classic Pattern Phoenix 7, but this one doesn't fit the EF-1 rules at all.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:29 PM
Joined Aug 2011
44 Posts
Ready for maiden

...hopefully tomorrow...
OzCal is offline Find More Posts by OzCal
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:37 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Looking good.

I am taking mine back out today as well with minor changes (large front and rear wheels since I don't fly in an rc field.)

I've also changed out my ESC to e-Flite 40 AMP ESC since I had another identical setup with the Super Stearman and based on what I saw and experience regarding AMP, I was not comfortable using the recommended ESC for this motor.

Good luck and happy flying.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 04:11 PM
Joined Aug 2011
44 Posts
Expo settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
Looking good.

I am taking mine back out today as well with minor changes (large front and rear wheels since I don't fly in an rc field.)

I've also changed out my ESC to e-Flite 40 AMP ESC since I had another identical setup with the Super Stearman and based on what I saw and experience regarding AMP, I was not comfortable using the recommended ESC for this motor.

Good luck and happy flying.
Good luck with the new modifications! Played with any Expo settings yet?
Old Nov 13, 2011, 05:50 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
This is what I currently have setup on mine DX8. I am still not happy with this but seems to work ok.

Aileron - 60/15, 75/20, 100/25
Elevator - 75/20, 85/23, 115/25 (i bumped up to 115 today hoping this would elevate the elevation drop on turns.)
Rudder- 62/10, 82/15, 100/20

I am still having a little challenge taking her in on landing and typically land a little hard. Not sure if others have better luck with ways to do a graceful landing. Had 3 fligts in 10+ winds and it was rather a challenge on landings eve witha strong head wind.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:50 PM
Joined Aug 2011
44 Posts
Landings

Quote:
This is what I currently have setup on mine DX8. I am still not happy with this but seems to work ok.

Elevator - 75/20, 85/23, 115/25 (i bumped up to 115 today hoping this would elevate the elevation drop on turns.)

I am still having a little challenge taking her in on landing and typically land a little hard. Not sure if others have better luck with ways to do a graceful landing. Had 3 fligts in 10+ winds and it was rather a challenge on landings eve witha strong head wind.
Didn't fly mine today - hoping for Tuesday. I'll see if I can come up with anything brilliant for landings!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 08:59 PM
Joined Aug 2011
44 Posts
Maiden

Quote:

Took it out for a maiden today in about 7-9 mph winds. Flew really nicely, but needed more up elevator trim than I thought, so I'll re-rig the control rods to get a better neutral position.

It stalls predictably with no noticeable wing drop, so I was happy to bring the throttle back below 1/3 and let the headwind do the work for a stepper approach on final. Barely had any throttle on crossing the threshold. Small flare was all it needed, but I think holding in some positive elevator once it's on the ground to keep it planted certainly helped.

Very nice plane, and fast too. Very Happy.
Last edited by OzCal; Nov 15, 2011 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Added image
Old Nov 15, 2011, 09:33 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Junkie View Post
Quick question: would this plane be legal for the EF1 spec class (with the right power system?)
-------
Oops, just checked the rules and the wing area doesn't qualify (254 sq in vs 375 square inches).

Wonder why GP would offer a plane "so close" to being EF1 legal and then "miss the boat"....
EF-1 rules don't allow fiberglass fuselages either.
McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:21 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
OzCal - glad your maiden went well. I am fond of this plane too. Just wished I had a more suitable landing area for her instead of the make-shift landing areas depending on where I fly.
Old Dec 02, 2011, 01:02 PM
A&P/IA
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Feb 2007
570 Posts
pulled the trigger on a red one today. towerhobbies has them for $124.99 if you are a super saver club member. i of course added the code for $15 off that as well..

$109.99 aint bad for a nice little fiberglass racer.

I will be installing a setup similar to the one i use in my het me-163 komet.
I will run a het 2w motor on 3s with a 4.75x4.75 prop On 4s with a 2w-20 het motor and 4.75x4.75 prop my het komet does well over 140mph.

I am planning to leave the landing gear off for faster speeds and just belly land. Our club has a grass runway so this will work great
chevronflyer is offline Find More Posts by chevronflyer
Old Dec 02, 2011, 09:44 PM
Joined Aug 2011
44 Posts
Post a video...

[QUOTE=chevronflyer;20032149]pulled the trigger on a red one today.

Good luck chevronflyer! It's a great little plane.

Please post a video of how fast it goes when you're done!
Old Dec 03, 2011, 10:27 AM
A&P/IA
Joined Feb 2007
570 Posts
Will do. I have two motors to try. Going to fly it with the rimfire 35-30-1450kv on a 8x8 and then with the het 2w on a 4.75*4.75 and 5.25*4.75. All will be on a 30c 1800 3s lipo
Old Dec 03, 2011, 10:28 AM
A&P/IA
Joined Feb 2007
570 Posts
I will video and doppler all test runs for comparison