SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:52 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
BTW - As I had said, the speed got to me. B/C of this, I am also looking to fly first jet (Parkzone F-27Q Stryker) this coming weekend. It's not the same but does feed the speed addition for now . It's amazing how one little step toward something ends in a full stride. Looks to be another exciting "speedy" weekend
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:09 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Reef
Time to try pylon racing, if you seek excitement at speed. Flying fast in a straight line on your own can be fun in an easy-going way- a four ship pack of high speed models racing around three pylons is the real thing.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:38 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Seems like more is merrier and more fun; especially when you add obstacles in the way

Unfornateuly I currently fly alone and like the solitude and a chance to "get away".
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:43 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
The only 'obstacle' in pylon boils down to wupping the rest. Unfortunately, it comes down to a spending race in the end.

If there was a class for ittybitty racers like this, somone would be selling $200 'stock' motors for it by next Wednesday.

Flying on your own is not to be knocked. At least you know where all the models are flying...

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Oct 21, 2011, 07:19 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,497 Posts
Reef_RC I am with you on landings. Beautiful night here. Took it out to the track (circles a football field) at the local school we fly small stuff at.

One issue - zero wind.

I shot 6 approaches and it will NOT slow down. Will have to work on that.

I used the 7x8 prop on the recommended equipment. Not as fast in flight as I would have thought so a 7x9 will be next. The 7x8 pushes the motor to 250w. So that is about as much as I want to push the motor, but a little more should be fine.

The red is easier to see in the air that the white (I am estimating). But it gets very small VERY fast.

More flights soon see if I can get that dialed in.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:59 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Nice Mike. I guess little wind is a nice problem to have..maybe not for this plane however. I believe it's the plane size and that darn slick beautiful fiberglass body that's deceiving the eyes in thinking it should be slow.

Interesting to see what other observations you may have. Glad weekend is here. My red one arrived today (my white one just received a play buddy) .

Looking forward to bringing mine back out...this time there's suppose to be low winds all weekend.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 01:24 AM
New Zealand
Joined Mar 2009
190 Posts
Hey all, whats it like on grass? does it nose over??
foot8sativa is offline Find More Posts by foot8sativa
Old Oct 22, 2011, 01:30 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foot8sativa View Post
Hey all, whats it like on grass? does it nose over??
I am sure Mike can chime in since he just finished flying in a school field. I can't speak for grass since all mine landings have been on concert or gravel. I have yet to nose over (knock on virtual internet wood). I would recommend taking off the wheel covers on gravel to save the paint job.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 06:57 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,497 Posts
Yes, grass will cause issues. This is not surprizing as all small planes with wheel pants they do tend to nose over in all but the shortest grass. Without a great deal of elevator authority (in the air this is good!) you don't have much to mess with either. If you have very smooth short grass you will likely be OK.

I take off and land from the track. It was a 100 yard landing for me. It is one slippery little dude. Just like it is supposed to be.
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:55 PM
TUK151
United States, LA, Ruston
Joined Aug 2011
179 Posts
Ordered mine today. Will start build next week. Already have the motor (.10) and esc from my old t22 turbo that crashed due to cockpit collapse. I plan to get the cosmic painted in a black/bright green pattern ...
Tuk151 is offline Find More Posts by Tuk151
Old Oct 29, 2011, 02:35 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
you'll like it. It's a fast slippy one for sure. don't let it out of eye sight too long or you'll regret it. extra landing space is ideal for first few flights until you're use to the speed. flight time is low - 6:30 - 7 minutes on moderate flying with some juice left over just incase. WOT will kill battery within 6 minutes before low voltgage kick in. The recommeded motor is a battery hog from my perspective. Outisde of a few minor complaints, i really like this plane. enjoy. would like to see how yours come out when you're done.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 11:13 PM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,934 Posts
For anyone interested, GP has graciously donated one for us to give away here:

http://www.xtremeflyer.com/forums/th...mid=6296#M6296

Garret
Garret H is offline Find More Posts by Garret H
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 11, 2011, 01:36 AM
Joined Aug 2011
44 Posts
Prop Collet/Adaptor

Hi Reef Rc!

I'm currently building mine, and noticed you had to move the prop adaptor forward to keep it clear of the motor mounting screws and washers. Doesn't seem to leave a whole lot of motor shaft to attach to - have you had any issues with yours?

Thanks!
OzCal is offline Find More Posts by OzCal
Old Nov 11, 2011, 07:29 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCal View Post
Hi Reef Rc!

I'm currently building mine, and noticed you had to move the prop adaptor forward to keep it clear of the motor mounting screws and washers. Doesn't seem to leave a whole lot of motor shaft to attach to - have you had any issues with yours?

Thanks!
Hi OzCal,

I agree with you. I was and still am concern about this and on occasions check to ensure the prop is on tight. So far I haven't noticed any issues. I guess as long as the bolt is on tight, it should be good. Nice if I can replace for a longer rod.

FYI - I did have to CA the wood motor mount housing to the fuselage since was it was slightly loose when I checked the prop a few weekends back.

BTW - recommendation - On your first few flights, line her up way in advance and be prepare for long landings. I have noticed she tends to drop elevation a little more than other planes when I come back around and setup her up for landing.

Good luck.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:34 AM
Joined Aug 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
Hi OzCal,

I agree with you. I was and still am concern about this and on occasions check to ensure the prop is on tight. So far I haven't noticed any issues. I guess as long as the bolt is on tight, it should be good. Nice if I can replace for a longer rod.

FYI - I did have to CA the wood motor mount housing to the fuselage since was it was slightly loose when I checked the prop a few weekends back.

BTW - recommendation - On your first few flights, line her up way in advance and be prepare for long landings. I have noticed she tends to drop elevation a little more than other planes when I come back around and setup her up for landing.

Good luck.
Thanks Reef,

I wonder if it's slightly off centre and caused some vibration, working the mount loose? Thanks for the heads up, I'll check mine regularly.

How have you found the recommended control throws? Do you just fly on high rates (low rates seem so small!)?

Thanks for the landing tip - it looks so sleek so I'm not surprised!
OzCal is offline Find More Posts by OzCal