HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:30 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
10 addition battey packs later and now feeling very comfortable with her on all full throws on all controls. Comfort also extend into landing in shorter distance than previous flights. Last landing was a brief 125-150 yards I recond. Previous landings were closer to 200 yards of runway required for me to stop her.

Weather was great today. Sunny with little wind all day. Tomorrow is expected to be similar so I am excited to get her backup early tomorrow morning.

My impression so far is that I am continued to be impresed with the liitle sport racer. I am looking forward to a new red model soon.

I had brough another plane to fly but never took it out since this was so fun. I like how nimble and fast she can be. She tracks vey straight in normal and inverted flight (the latter needing 1/4 elevator to say level). Since I am relatively new to sport/aerobatic flight, my aerobatic skill sets are small but I did noticed knife edge is difficult compare to a more traditional aeobatic planes in my fleet. It's expected as the plane isn't design to excell in that. What it does well is fast flying with ease with sport charateristics. I don't anticipate I'll every race this one but like the power when I need it. Initially I wa surprised by the recommended motor size for this relatively small plane, but now I see why it was reommended. It's a joy to fly this plane. Today, I ran into several locals flying in the share school field and all like the plane's look, lines and well and quiet she handle.

Changes I made after her maiden.
  • Added 3-4 inches of solid red and yellow strips to the top and bottom wing respectively. This has made visibility in the air a lot better than stock form.
  • Been using both 2200 mAh batteries interchangeably. Currently guess this should run 12 minutes on moderate flight. The 1800 mAh is best suited for 10 minutes. CG was fine right on line with the first cross-bar.
  • I removed the wheel caps since my flying location was a high school field and landing had to be on gravel insted of concert parking lot since I needed a longer than usualrunway based on yerstderay expierence.
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:28 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
pda4you - were able to fly her yesterday? Btw - interested to see what yours look like and what mod you did or considering.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:55 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
No flight yesterday - I had some other priorities. I will be doing the RCG review - so stay tuned for that!

Since it is a review I don't really do mods I like folks to know how it does without them. Well I did one the battery tray - I added a strip of Balsa for that so I could glue the velcro down to that I hate the holes they make in the middle of the trays.

I will mess with the prop a bit to get some speed...

It is certainly impressive and I can't wait to get it in the air next week.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:18 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Read the manual on thecompany website - not bad on the whole.

At least, unlike the E-Fly Tripe, they didn't remind the assembler that the flat side of wing goes on the bottom - twice - or forget to mention gluing the wing strut mounts in after telling you to place them without gluing.

Agree with making thebattery tray more solid - having a battery hanging off a tray is a different matter to the other way up.

A review - ain't you the brave one? I gave them up years ago, after finding out what happens when you write a less than perfect one about a POS

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:23 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Dereck - that is why you pick projects you have some confidence in.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:19 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
...I will be doing the RCG review - so stay tuned for that!

Mike
Nice...keep me posted. Had no idea you do reviews since I am relatively new to this forum. Damn...you do have many reviews.

btw - I had 4 additional flights today. This plane has a knack for pulling left on take-off when throttle is pushed past 1/4. I guess that's the b/c motor and prop combo. No big deal really if you know it's coming.

This plane has made my weekend! The good weather has definitely helped. This is all I've flown this weekend even though I have brought other planes with me on multiple outings. For example - Sunday morning is "sport plane" day and here's my small fleet. With only a little over an hour to fly, needless to say other planes were hanging in the out in the car instead in the air .

Interesting to find out how this little thing handle with medium to moderate winds. This weekend has had none of that to know for sure (really nice for a change).

have a good weekend
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:24 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
It looks great - your yellow sure helps!

Here is a snap of mine...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:31 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
I am definitely getting a red one for sure now that I see a better pic.

Like the headshot on the pilot.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:25 PM
United States, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined May 2007
91 Posts
Hey guys, I was thinking a rimfire .15 with a 4s. Any thoughts? The .15 is the same dimensions just a little longer. Is this overkill?? I really like fast planes!!
400xp is offline Find More Posts by 400xp
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:27 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
It'll be interesting to see. I don't see how 1 extra jump can hurt as long as you start slow. After multiple flights and over several days, I was getting used to the speed (becoming speed junkie for sure). So use to the new speed in fact that I flew other planes later Sunday evening and thought both to be rather slow for their size (e-flite mini pluse XT and carbon-z). I highly recommend you keep a close eye on it. The solid color (white in particular) and small frame doesn't help and can be challenging ways out. This is one of those I didn't dare to fly as far out as my other parkflyers.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:21 PM
Joined Jul 2001
351 Posts
Landings are way too tricky. The Cosmic Wind noses down w/no power and flaring only causes ballooning. Some up trim and keeping some power on should cure that.
quietfly is offline Find More Posts by quietfly
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:53 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
400xp - just a thought as I was flying TH P51-D Mustang which has a similar size. I would watch the weight assuming 4S would be slightly heavier. Cosmic wind is relatively small to begin with so too much will impact to some extend i would assume.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:18 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
Dereck - that is why you pick projects you have some confidence in.

Mike
In a nutshell - yes . Just started a thread on one unusual model I have every confidence in.... Yes, it's from my custom design/build service, of course

D
Old Oct 18, 2011, 04:24 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Oddly enough - and this really has to be today's useless factiod - I was behind one of Great Tower E-Fly Planes' first 'real' foray into electrics. They'd kitted the E-Streak for years, but mostly it should have been called the 'E-Amble' with the power it was supposed to have.

One day towards to the end of the last century, I went to a club funfly a long ways from where we lived then, just outside of the Disaster of Columbia, AKA, the nation's capital. At the event was Mike and Ann-Marie Cross. Mike was then one of GP etc's designers and a top IMAC competitor, and Ann-Marie was no slouch at RC pattern herself and also worked at Great Planes or thereabouts back then.

Mike was demo'ing GP's then-new CAP 232, which he'd designed for them. It was from a strange thing called a 'kit' where you had direct control over the assembly QC and your choice of personalised finish. While Mike was running a class on how to do various types of rolling circle, I ended up chatting to Ann-Marie about electrics - she wanted to try them, but with performance to match the model she wanted to build - Mike's latest design, a 60" Giles 202. She suspected that the seven cell geared motor someone at work had suggested wouldn't be enough and was intruiged to find herself talking to a guy who flew a fully aerobatically capable 60" span Sig Four Star 40.

Long story short, Ann-Marie did an electrocution of the Giles kit for a 20 cell geared MaxCim - Tom Cimato's staggering sensored inrunner with easily swapped ratios on its MEC box and pushing 700W from a 20 cell nicad pack. Not bad when most of the e-flight world who didn't know Ken Myers was still flopping around on seven cells

Her article was published in then-popular Radio Control Modeler, while my similarly powered CAP 232 was featured in an article in RC Model World in England, as Traplet hadn't then invented an electric flight mag.

Yes, ToweringGreatFly now do a couple of aerobatic scale models of CAPs from after the 232, one for e-power, another for either slimey or pleasant power. I passed my CAP 232 onto an EDF pioneer in MD, who still flew it occasionally last I heard, and really wish I hadn't either sold him it or given him the plan, as it was a superb model with great 'presence' both on the ground and in the air, really looking the part in flight. Unfortunately, the kit is long gone and I am reminded not to toss out plans of models I really like. It would be far better on a wizzyround motor and with LiPos, and it was no aerobatic slouch even at 6lbs on NiCads.

Idle reminiscing indeed.

D
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:46 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietfly View Post
Landings are way too tricky. The Cosmic Wind noses down w/no power and flaring only causes ballooning. Some up trim and keeping some power on should cure that.
Curious if by tricky you meant just ballooning or if you experience other. Outside of the maiden flights on the first day, my two other days had little wind so all my landing were very good once I had more run way to land.

I am forward to spending more time with her this coming weekend and add the red one to keep her company .