HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:16 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
Just got one last night - VERY impressive the glass work is impeccable....
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:49 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
ARF + 4 days = Cosmic Wind RTF

She's READY! Just in the time for the upcoming weekend. The weather is predicted to be very nice with low winds. Will attempt to maiden her this evening if my schedule works out.

Here's the completed setup. I went with everything stock as suggested by GP.
  • The propeller, canopy and VERY IMPORTANT CG was relatively painless. CG - I decided to use PZ 3S 1800mAh since I had 3 packs laying around. These I typically only use as a last resort since they're relatively small compare to my other packs. Given the weight consideration, I thought this would work best instead of using a heavier HK 3S 2200mAh. CG came out perfect with battery placement just slightly behind the first cross-bar. I do plan to use velcro on the battery to ensure battery stay put since the motor is about 1 inch away from battery.
  • Propeller - I am using 8x8. First attempt to install the collet prop adapter and propeller caused the fuselage and spinner to rub against each other if I pushed the collet prop all the way in. To fixed the issue, I didn't push the collet prop adapter all the way in so there's some clearance between the fuselage and spinner backplate.
  • No pilot head. Didn't realize one wasn't included and spent 10 minutes looking for it instead of the reading the manual .
  • Applying checker design was painless. I just had to line up the start of the sticker with a horizontal surface and apply straight through. I then went back and used sharp blade to cut the lines between wind and aileron / tail and elevator.
  • Tail wheel collar - I am replacing the plastic wheel collar with a metal one, with one I know that won't slip. During final setup yesterday, the tail wheel slipped off. This was due to plastic wheel collar.
Overall I am impressed with how this came together. I definitely like the clean simple lines of this plane. The bright white really adds a touch of "class". Because it's the same color all around, I would think the plane is like a blank canvas and you can change the color and design as you see fit. If it flies as well as it looks, this might be one I'll have to have a "back-up" just in case .
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:49 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
Just got one last night - VERY impressive the glass work is impeccable....
She's a BEAUT.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:20 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
Servo screws .... did you pre-drill them? It is a good idea to use a small bit to drill the holes. Then run the screws in and back out and add a drop or two of thin CA into the holes to harden them. UHM, that is done with the servos out of the plane! When the CA is dry, install the servos.

NICE plane!
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:34 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Servo screws .... did you pre-drill them? It is a good idea to use a small bit to drill the holes. Then run the screws in and back out and add a drop or two of thin CA into the holes to harden them. UHM, that is done with the servos out of the plane! When the CA is dry, install the servos.

NICE plane!
pre-drill -half&half. I just realized in the process of doing this i should invest in a small hand drill for these types of thing to make life easier. I do use CA on all holes. typically i use hot glue but decided not no this one.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:33 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Maiden Flight - check

Settings: Around lunch time. Temperature low 80s. Slight head winds and ocassional cross winds. In church back parking lot. Parking lot faces a football size field used as a water holding pond in case of heavy rain. Back parking lot is empty. (not ideal situation since there are potential hazards about - parking lot curbs, light poles and of course the church but I am used to flying in make shift areas and staying out of trouble)

Summary: 3 battery packs later and looks like I will be needing a back-up for this plane . This little thing is quick, aerobatic, smooth, powerful and great looking in the air. I am surprised and amazed how this little plane flies. On cruise mod, I only had to put the throttle less than 1/2 up. If I wanted to go vertical, punch the throttle and this plane shoots up quickly. To me this is a great sport/racing plane. I have a few sport/aerobatic planes but nothing yet that's considered "racing". This is my first and I am liking this. Looking forward to taking her back out this evening and take some pics since I wasn't able to do this earlier.
Take-off:
The 3 take offs were on concert against a light head wind / cross wind patterms. Take-offs were relatively normal. My first take-off was relatively longer than the latter two. This may have attributed by my excitement and nervouseness on the first flight. She has a relatively powerful motor, so you can take her high relatively quickly and with ease.
In-the-air:
Once in the air I had to make several clicks on both aileron and elevator quickly to get her level and stable to where I can make fine tune adjustments. It wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Due to cross-winds, my trim were going back and forth for the first two flights until I finally settled on something I liked. In the end both rudder and aileron trim were minor. Elevator was where I had the most trim (less than 1/4 up clicks).
Once she was relatively trimmed, I did the usual first flight maneuvers first on low rates, then medium, then high (loops, rolls, inverted, stalled, snap roll, etc.). I spent majority of the time on low and medium rates to get a feel. Inverted flight requires 1/4 elevator to stay level. High rates were nothing craze but is relative comparable to e-Flite mini pluse XT and PZ Extra 300 planes in my fleet.

I was surprised how well and far she can glide with no power. I verified this several times just to see how much power I may need on landing. Base on the glide patterns, not much is needed (understandable since she's a relatively small plane anyway). I miss judged all three landings because of this.

Landing:
As I mentioned, my landings were hot and I was overshooting them. I missed judged how far she glides and didn't bleed all the speed on the way down. All three landings had 1 hop. On one of the landing, a left wing touch the ground when I tried leveling her. No damage, very light scuffs on bottom edge. The hop on the last landing I bumped the curb slightly and loosen the right landing gear from the fuselage. No big deal really. I just need to tighen the screws back and maybe apply some hot glue underneath for insurance.
Changes I plan to make:
  • Add more color for visibility. Although I like the bright white a lot, I knew it's a potential problem flying with clouds about. Several times when the plane was far away it was hard to tell what's what.
  • Strengthen landing gear to fuselage. The landing gears are currently held on by 3 small screws. I plan to either change screws and/or add hot glue underneath to strengthen it.
  • Bigger batter. Since I had a few clicks up to keep the nose down, I may change to a slight heavier battery and see how that work out.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:11 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
Excellent! What was the speed like?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:15 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Quote:
Excellent! What was the speed like?
It's relatively fast for its size I believe. My only other comparison in terms of speed and sport/aerobatic characteristics are: GP SS RxR, e-flite mini pluse XT, pz extra 300 and e-flite carbon-z. I may be able to give you a more definitive answer hopefully after a few more flights. If you have flown something comparable to pz extra 300 or e-flite carbon-z in terms of speed and sport/aerobatic characteristics, this shouldn't be much of a change. I felt comfortable pretty quickly with this one.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:45 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
I think I am going to try the 7x9 APC (glow) prop. Really want to get some speed out of this little beauty.

Your CG right at the recommended 52mm?

Can't wait to get mine finished - just the aileron servo and radio setup to go.....

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:46 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Sounds a good flier - brave of you flying in such a spot with a 'racer' that will cover a lot of countryside bleeding speed and height to a landing.

Your 'mods' -

Add more color for visibility. Although I like the bright white a lot, I knew it's a potential problem flying with clouds about. Several times when the plane was far away it was hard to tell what's what.

<<< Good idea, top and bottom. Go for big areas of colour - small chequers tend to blend into an indistinct grey blob at distance. Big bold stripes and areas work best - darker on top, lighter on bottom, or vice versa if you prefer it that way. This baby is too small and fast to have to think about which way is up. >>>

Strengthen landing gear to fuselage. The landing gears are currently held on by 3 small screws. I plan to either change screws and/or add hot glue underneath to strengthen it.
<<< Get shut of liteply! It is used for cheapness, but is lousy for holding undercarriages on - and having model and UC end up at different ends of the 'airfield' will ruin a good flying day. My favourite involves 1/8" Birch ply, two lengths of 1/2" x 3/4" light alloy 'L' section from a local hardware store and T nuts! I did a lot of research into the implications of the UC coming off on touchdown back when high performance model batteries weighed around 42 ounces... >>>

Bigger batter. Since I had a few clicks up to keep the nose down, I may change to a slight heavier battery and see how that work out.

<<<Well worth a try - but if you're happy with the ability of your existing batteries' performance, is there a way to move the CG forwards a tadger without spending on bigger packs? Trying a CG move by adding some weight up front as a temporary 'proving' method still has mileage>>>

Good luck with her

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:26 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Grats on the maidens, Reef. Sounds like you are going to like this one

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Oct 15, 2011, 06:24 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Quote:
I think I am going to try the 7x9 APC (glow) prop. Really want to get some speed out of this little beauty.

Your CG right at the recommended 52mm?

Can't wait to get mine finished - just the aileron servo and radio setup to go.....

Mike
Hey Mike - Yes, my CG is at/around 52mm (my measurement isn't exactly perfect since I just used a straight ruler for this). You can actually see it in the pics I posted above (it's those two small white circles near the fuselage).

I am going to change the propeller to 97.5E for my upcoming flights this morning and see how it goes. GP indicated this is "For better vertical performance, with a slight reduction in speed." Let me know how yours goes.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 07:31 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Grats on the maidens, Reef. Sounds like you are going to like this one

Wolfe
thx wolfewinde. It's definitely a keeper. I am already considering getting a "back-up" on this ones if that's any answer. It's relatively small and fast (especially on landing for sure) this one.

For a non-foam plane, it has been very forgiving. My landings have been very hot and I have had several harder than usual landings and an occasional bumps with the parking lot curb. Outside of minor scratches, this plane seems tougher than I had though. Might be related to fiberglass fuselage. It seems very durable (I am definitely glad for this).
Old Oct 15, 2011, 07:48 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Dereck -

thx. i agree on what you had mentioned. thx for the inpu.

Location -
Since I don't have time to drive to an official club or field, I have been able to make due with what is around understanding the constraints. For this maiden, I would have preferred a grass field or dirt field to help absorb landings for example. Lucky for me the church parking lot is relative long but can be hazardeous if not careful (light poles and parking lot curbs).

Mod - color -
agree. I've already added solid yellow to the bottom wing and it has improve visbility orientation somewhat on yesterday's evening flight.

land gear -
i'll take this into consideration and may try this out when time permits and/or when landing gives. i still relatively new to building/moding planes so I am not as handy or as confident. your info seems solid and strong.

battery -
I've had only set the timers for 9 minutes so far but even on 1800mAh I can tell it might go 12 minutes on relatively moderate flying. I tried my 2200 yesterday and along with moving the battery position the first cross bar and it was fine without much trim adjustment.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:35 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Reef

You're braver than me on flying sites!

If her UC stays put, there's no drama!

Good that she'll take your larger battery without CG fuss. Your flight time on 1800 sounds fine, but if you can use your 2200 with no fuss, that's another flight a day.

Must look at this size and power of model, it has plenty of possibilities.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck