Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:30 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
532 Posts
Still Got Mine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcolorado View Post
I just picked this plane up for 83 bucks. It seems like a pretty solid plane. Is there a reason this plane isnt being discussed anymore?
...in the hangar...

That is a super deal for this beautiful lil' airframe. The recommended Rimfire .10 motor works well unless you're used to flying faster birds already...

Been mostly practicing with & flying my aerobatic & 3D planes so there hasn't been any room for her in the rig lately... Although I did manage to bring her out of hibernation last week...

She always manages to give a quite a thrill to both pilots & onlookers. She can hold knife edge passes really well. I also enjoy like the way she can carve turns. Roll her 90 degrees then pull elevator & watch her rail through turns is really satisfying. She's a bit nose heavy with the recommended CG so it takes some push on the elevator to keep her flying neutral when inverted but that's to be expected with this type of racing design. For me, she seems to fly more like a scale warbird but is much more roll & pitch sensitive (for obvious reasons) since she is a race plane afterall...

I am beginning to move the battery back to get more of a neutral CG but at the same time I don't want her to become even more of a handful when it comes time to bring her back down to terra firma... I'm running a 9x7E prop for (slower) sport flying but I'm going to swap that out for the 8x8E for more speed. She does fly fine at 1/2 - 2/3 throttle so you don't have to be on it all the time which is nice...

As most here will tell you, the landings can be bit tricky with this ship since she'll bounce on all but the most perfect landings. Best advice is to plan & set up for landings much earlier to bleed off speed & then get her down sooner using the entire length of the runway to let her roll out...
RCAV8T0R is online now Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:00 PM
Dir. of Innovation at Alert 5
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcolorado View Post
Are you running the recommended power setup or is it amped up a bit. I tend to over power all of my models, but i'm thinking of making this one a quick and lite one.
I ran it stock... She's no slouch.... But I just picked up a .15 equivalent from HK, it has 1800kv so with a 9x9 she should be well equipped. It's a steal at those prices!
Demon 6 is offline Find More Posts by Demon 6
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:13 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,028 Posts
Just caught up
supercollider is offline Find More Posts by supercollider
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:10 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
I'd buy one in a heartbeat! (I'f I didn't already have one)
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:49 PM
One more flight...
Joined Jan 2010
938 Posts
I am finally starting on mine. Is everyone using the stock pushrods setup, or are you replacing them. Wheel collars on a race plane seems like a potential problem.
CashD is offline Find More Posts by CashD
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:47 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
532 Posts
All Stock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashD View Post
I am finally starting on mine. Is everyone using the stock pushrods setup, or are you replacing them. Wheel collars on a race plane seems like a potential problem.
...on this lil' speed racer with no issues to report, other than it's a little cumbersome to set up & adjust in the beginning...
RCAV8T0R is online now Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:15 PM
One more flight...
Joined Jan 2010
938 Posts
Thanks for the response.
CashD is offline Find More Posts by CashD
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:59 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashD View Post
I was thinking the same thing on about the push rods, but then I installed them. They seem to work good.

Cheers
supercollider is offline Find More Posts by supercollider
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:21 AM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
I went with metal clevises, but have not heard of any issues with the stock hardware. I suggest following their "throw rate" suggestions, she is very snappy...
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:15 AM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,570 Posts
Is using a strong servo like the HS-65MG on the rudder and elevator worth it? I'm only slightly overpowering the model (500W level - 1500kv). Or can something in the torque range of the s3114 be okay?

My build was going great - easy like every GP kit - except for the annoying locknut on the landing gears. Results do not match the photos
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:12 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
I was using the "Corona" brand micro servos all around with excellent results.
I read in the thread that once you get a "fast" Cosmic that the surfaces will "flutter" and a high grade servo must be used...
Old Mar 20, 2013, 07:54 AM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Hey guys, I did this simple mod and it tamed the landings right out. It takes the excessive flex out of the main gear and keeps her from doing the "bounce"... I have the gear mounted with nylon 4-40 screws just in case I catch a divot in my grass field. A little unorthodox, but works great nevertheless. Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363784002.698446.jpg
Views: 67
Size: 131.3 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363784021.660389.jpg
Views: 72
Size: 110.5 KB
Description:
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:28 PM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2012
895 Posts
Geek Moment: Onboard the Cosmic Wind (1 min 25 sec)
corsair2014 is offline Find More Posts by corsair2014
Old Aug 23, 2013, 02:29 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Sweet... Liked to have seen more!
Old Aug 23, 2013, 03:42 PM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2012
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon 6 View Post
Sweet... Liked to have seen more!
more coming soon!(:

i will be doing a compilation with my friends Extra 300 and we will be doing streamers, smoke bombs, etc
corsair2014 is offline Find More Posts by corsair2014