Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:22 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
555 Posts
Programming Values...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuk151 View Post
My settings. They are tame for scale take-offs then off to the next rates for the rest of the flight. Not too drastic, very clean.
Position: 0 Position: 1 Position: 2
Chan: Aileron
D/R: 80 80 D/R: 100 - 100 D/R: 100 - 100
Expo: 65 - 65 Expo: 50 50 Expo: 65 - 65
SW: Rudder D/R SW: Rudder D/R SW: Rudder D/R
Chan: Elevator
D/R: 30 30 D/R: 60 60 D/R 100 - 100
Expo: 65 65 Expo: 65 65 Expo 65 65
SW: Rudder D/R SW: Rudder D/R SW: Rudder D/R
Hey Tuk151,

Thanks for posting this. I'll take these into consideration when I'm setting up my TX except I have only 2-position dual rates on the Airtronics RDS8000.

How about the measurements for the throws? Did you stick with what the manual lists for setting the travel?
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2012, 02:01 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
555 Posts
Cosmic Wind RTF...

Hey CW Fans,

Thanks for all the replies & posts. Those really helped me with building this bird as this is my 2nd ARF. My first was an E-Flite Diamante. She's done, but still a virgin (hangar) queen.

I really like the sleek lines & speed demon shape of this red CW now that she's all done up. Not bad for a 1940's design...

Not the highest quality kit but certainly not the worst, especially since it comes with a fiberglass fuse. Overall, it's just a nice little plane that I enjoyed building, most of the time. One thing's for sure, it's a small airframe to work on. Some aspects were frustrating & few choice words were "spoken" during assembly.

First time working with non-water transfer decals, too. Took some builder liberty regarding selection, size & placement. Got better results the more I applied them. Something about using warm soapy water is really supposed to help?

Well, with all the crappy weather we had over the past weekend I got her all dressed up & ready for the big dance now. Hopefully, it'll be soon since I don't have any plans for her to be a hangar queen. I've already got one of those...
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:33 PM
TUK151
United States, LA, Ruston
Joined Aug 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
Hey Tuk151,

Thanks for posting this. I'll take these into consideration when I'm setting up my TX except I have only 2-position dual rates on the Airtronics RDS8000.

How about the measurements for the throws? Did you stick with what the manual lists for setting the travel?
Used the throws suggested in the manual.

Looks great! Nice job with the decals... Get ready to fly a bullet...
One more thing that I forgot. If your gonna fly off grass, lose the wheel pans... Trust me.
Tuk151 is offline Find More Posts by Tuk151
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:43 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
555 Posts
Pre-flight Details

Quote:
Used the throws suggested in the manual.
Did just that, making sure to set the throw as shown in the table in the manual. Those words of "Caution" below that table really got my attention...

Quote:
Looks great! Nice job with the decals...
Thanks Tuk. The pictures don't show the blemishes but hey, it'll still fly. My biggest concern was being able to tell the orientation, especially since it is (going to be) such a fast flyer...

Quote:
Get ready to fly a bullet...
That's the plan. Lucky for me most of my planes have a 40" wingspan or under so I'm used to the smaller, twitchier type planes, but perhaps not the speed. I plan on taking it easy, at least for the first flight anyway...

Quote:
One more thing that I forgot. If your gonna fly off grass, lose the wheel pans... Trust me.
I saw that you removed them from your CW in your latest video. I fly off either hard packed dirt or asphalt so that shouldn't be an issue. However, I'd like to have that problem, meaning having a grass field instead. So much more forgiving if, I mean, when you make a mistake...
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:03 PM
TUK151
United States, LA, Ruston
Joined Aug 2011
179 Posts
Your landings will be the (boost of adrenaline) to the already flight you will encounter.
Expect a long (fast) landing with a long roll out. I am using my maximum rates on touch-downs to give me more play. However, I don't know what is the best for it. Good luck..
Tuk151 is offline Find More Posts by Tuk151
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined Aug 2011
44 Posts
[QUOTE=RCAV8T0R;21079491]Hey CW Fans,

Looks nice! Enjoy it - you won't be disappointed.
OzCal is offline Find More Posts by OzCal
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:17 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
555 Posts
CW Stylin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
Hey CW Fans,
Looks nice! Enjoy it - you won't be disappointed.
Thanks for the "props" OzCal. Really lookin' forward to the maiden after completing the build...
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:41 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
555 Posts
Landing "Flair"

Quote:
Your landings will be the (boost of adrenaline) to the already flight you will encounter.
Expect a long (fast) landing with a long roll out. I am using my maximum rates on touch-downs to give me more play. However, I don't know what is the best for it. Good luck..
Been debating on whether or not to use high rates on the elevator for take-offs to keep the tail down during the initial run up. Then (gently) reducing it after gaining speed & then lifting off afterwards as described in the manual. Really well put together manual, I might add. Just seems to me there isn't nearly enough throw on low rates to have an effect at slower speeds & on the ground.

For the landing, I'm going to try out what the manual says, at first. Again, using high rates for the elevator with lots of expo, hopefully getting that all-important landing "flair" (flare) at the end for safe & (moderately?) fast touchdown. Yeah, right...wishful thinking...

At the very least, I can hope to be successful at executing this well-timed landing technique. I've had good success doing just this with my 64MM Airfield F-18C, but as well all know, this ain't no EDF...
Last edited by RCAV8T0R; Mar 20, 2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Changed stuff...
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:03 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,017 Posts
I got that bad feeling again!
Every time I stumble onto a unique plane that cries out, buy me!

I've been looking at lots of sport/pylon planes and all have some issues, too fast, too twitchy, too hard to take off and land! This puppy seems to have met those concerns as being nice enough for a regular to large school field. I love how it maneuvers smartly over my PZ P-47, T-28, and FunCub. My 3D foamie fills my more radical flying. This is just what I've been looking for!

I just hope it's a lot better handler than my destroyed on 2nd flight Fantasy Racer Gee Bee.

My wife is going to think I'm crazy buying another plane post more videos guys, I can't get enough.

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined Jun 2004
87 Posts
I,ve gotten a few flights on mine.I,m only using only 3/16 travel on ailerons and not quite1/4 in
on elevator. power is a hacker a30 22s 1440 kv,8x8 prop on 3 cells and 7x6 on 4 cells.
It,s fast with 8x8,pulls 47 amps and 527 watts, 7x6 w/ 4cell pulls only 36 amps,536 watts
but really winds out at almost 18,000 rpm stactic and its faster then 8x8 on 3cells.
Here,s some pics... T D
tempe dave is offline Find More Posts by tempe dave
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:19 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
555 Posts
White Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempe dave View Post
I,ve gotten a few flights on mine.I,m only using only 3/16 travel on ailerons and not quite1/4 in
on elevator. power is a hacker a30 22s 1440 kv,8x8 prop on 3 cells and 7x6 on 4 cells.
It,s fast with 8x8,pulls 47 amps and 527 watts, 7x6 w/ 4cell pulls only 36 amps,536 watts
but really winds out at almost 18,000 rpm stactic and its faster then 8x8 on 3cells.
Here,s some pics... T D
Nice lookin' bird you got there. Like the use of the aftermarket decals.

How does she fly with the 4S? Is she more like a bolt of lightning running on 14.8V?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:00 AM
Joined Jun 2004
87 Posts
yea it,s breakin 100 and thats with a rhino 1750 25c 4cell thats over a year old.I know it,ll
wind out better w/ a new 40c batt. I,m thinking about using 2 servo,s sidexside for the
ailerons so i can flip on about 10 degrees air break for landing.
tempe dave is offline Find More Posts by tempe dave
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:10 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,017 Posts
I've been telling others about this plane and how I'm thinking of getting it, but many have reservations about the strength, durability, and repair ability of the fiberglass fuse. What's your opinions since you have it and fly it? Thanks.

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:57 AM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
I've been telling others about this plane and how I'm thinking of getting it, but many have reservations about the strength, durability, and repair ability of the fiberglass fuse. What's your opinions since you have it and fly it? Thanks.

Blu

For $64.99USD you can get a brand new fuse or set of wings, and for that price who cares about repair
super kupfer is online now Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Aug 2011
44 Posts
[QUOTE=Bluhammer;21104782]I've been telling others about this plane and how I'm thinking of getting it, but many have reservations about the strength, durability, and repair ability of the fiberglass fuse. What's your opinions since you have it and fly it? Thanks.

I haven't crashed mine, but so far it has remained strong and durable, and still looks brand new. I think they did a real nice job on the fuselage - it gives the aircraft a real quality look and sets it apart from cheaper looking aircraft.
OzCal is offline Find More Posts by OzCal