HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2011, 06:16 AM
Joined Sep 2011
26 Posts
Discussion
Triton EQ vs Triton 2 EQ

I've been to the website and read the differences, but unfortunately what I don't have at the moment is perspective.

I am getting back into RC from 16 years ago, and I'm going to jump into the electric world I've decided. I've also decided that I want to buy quality items although they may stretch my finances thin for a few months, so I am not disappointed in 6 months to a year that I got something that was less than I needed.

The Triton 2 seems a bit of overkill for someone starting out, but I wouldn't really know. I plan on flying 40 size airplanes, and here within a year or so try and get into 3D flying around the same size. What charger would you recommend. From what little I know, I would venture a guess that rarely do people need the extra power output of the Triton 2 EQ, but it's extra features are desirable, such as the 10 battery memory, the thermal sensor, and things like this.

Please someone give me a little perspective.

Much appreciated

Brandon
Linkman81 is offline Find More Posts by Linkman81
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2011, 09:36 AM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,207 Posts
Okay you're reasonably new so I'll offer a thought that you should spend some time on this sticky thread about chargers since there are so many of them and so many opinions about what's best.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1356436

I will offer my opinion that a Triton is NOT the way to go, especially the EQ....
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Sep 20, 2011, 04:38 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,808 Posts
Hey Brandon,

I a little bit hesitate to post because, as my signature says, I work for the company that sells the Triton, so you can take my suggestion with a grain of salt if you wish. But I do have experience with the Triton EQ as I use it exclusively and every day for charging my precious ThunderPower and Hyperion batteries I fly in my prized 170mph "pylon racer" plane (I'm just trying to illustrate that I depend on this charger for expesnive, "high-performance" batteries that go in a relatively dangerous model!).

I use it mostly to charge 2S, 3S and 4S batteries from 1800mAh to 2200mAh and my 6S, 3300mAh batteries for my larger electric plane (though the fastest the EQ will charge my 6S packs is about .6C because it will do only 50 Watts on AC which is a limitation for this particular battery).

But for my 1800mAh - 2200mAh packs I charge at 1C, 2C or a little higher all the time. I charge off of AC in my garage and our flying field has a shed with wall outlets so I can charge AC there too. Right now I don't have the desire to charge much faster than that, so I don't really need "more" charger (more Watts).

Presently, I don't really have the need for the EQ2 with it's higher Watts output (except for those 6S 3300mAh packs, but I don't fly that plane often), but I am kind of needing a second charger (one for the garage and one for the van to take to the field), so I'll probably be getting an EQ2 at some time in the future.

Well, there's my perspective. The EQ works just fine for me and I use it every day.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2011, 07:57 PM
Joined Sep 2011
26 Posts
I appreciate your reply KRProton, and your well explained view on the Triton EQ. I have been to the sticky here on the forum that people refer too, and I'm thoroughly disappointed at the tact that author took, and how it still is a sticky today. it basically says, hey noobs, don't bother us with your questions. Try and figure it out with this list of links to other posts from other noobs who ask the same questions as you 9 months ago and later. And if we ask any other questions on this subject in the forum that we should do so at our own risk. Last time I checked, this was a FORUM, made for DISCUSSION. I didn't know that the people that trolled this forum were elitist. The sticky has a good purpose in mind, but its delivery is lacking. It doesn't accomplish what it is suppose to. And many besides me have posted that they agree. So, I'm left to figure it out on my own and ask questions at my own risk. I appreciate your help KRProton.

BTW a permanent link to this site should be the sticky, not all that garbage referencing data with no reference....
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos
Last edited by Linkman81; Sep 20, 2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 09:46 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,808 Posts
Yea, sometimes it can be a little intimidating. Sometimes I feel a little put down my self, but in the end I'm in this for fun (you or anyone else can take that with a grain of salt too if you wish ) and most of the time I get good discussion and lots of information. I've learned a lot (and still have much to learn) from some of the people on this site.

Okay then, hopefully we'll get some more opinions/suggestions about your charger inquiry.

Thanks.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:52 AM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkman81 View Post
I didn't know that the people that trolled this forum were elitist.
Why don't you just go BUY the Triton?

I'm SURE you'll just love either one and if it has problems, Hobby Services will make you glad you bought one of their products.

Your question or a variation of it is asked ad nauseum and the answer is always the same; there's no perfect charger. YOU have to decide what's important to you and the only way you'll figure that out is to spend some time going through the forums. It CANNOT all be covered in one thread.

You've made a great impression with at least this troll, I'm sure others will be genuinely happy to indulge your self righteous attitude by offering input. I'm done...
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:11 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
As one who owns Triton, Hyperion,Thunder Power,iChargers FMA Direct ,Astro Flight and several other brands and in most cases several models of each I will say my Tritons are my least used ones.

Back 7 years ago the Triton was a very good charger but for the past 6 years there have been many better makes and models available IMO.

As mentioned there is no one perfect charger for everyone .period! The closest chargers I have to perfect are the FMA Direct POWERLAB 8 ones. A lot more charger than many will ever need but also one that most will never outgrow and if one does they are super easy to chain together.

One of the many Triton EQ problems threads

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ton+eq+charger

what really POed a lot of folks is that Great Planes / Hobbico / Towers refused to admit there were any problems.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Sep 21, 2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 01:20 PM
Joined Sep 2011
26 Posts
Zeeb I didn't intend to have you think you were a troll. I was venting at the tact the author of the sticky took. But yes... your reference to it was expected and that's what started me on my tirade. Sorry about that. I've read through the first 50% of the sticky's links from beginning to the end of the threads and 80% of them are garbage. the thread shouldn't be a sticky. What stopped my search was a link to a website...

https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos

I started to read all of it and it gave me a foundation of understanding about the voltages and mAH of batteries and charging. This in itself allowed me to answer a lot of my own questions... which is what the purpose of the sticky was but didn't deliver. Whenever I see anyone asking questions about things of the sort I will refer them to this website. Its complex for a beginning but it helped me to understand what I needed in a charger. Still a little friendly advice from folks who've had these chargers is nice too.

Thanks for the info everydayflyer. Yeah that's not cool of Great Planes / Hobbico / Tower. The charger / power supply at the top of my list so far changed from the triton to the P350 and the 106B+. It seems a few of the folks from the forums are happy with that combo.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 03:02 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Why don't you just go BUY the Triton?

I'm SURE you'll just love either one and if it has problems, Hobby Services will make you glad you bought one of their products.

Your question or a variation of it is asked ad nauseum and the answer is always the same; there's no perfect charger. YOU have to decide what's important to you and the only way you'll figure that out is to spend some time going through the forums. It CANNOT all be covered in one thread.

You've made a great impression with at least this troll, I'm sure others will be genuinely happy to indulge your self righteous attitude by offering input. I'm done...
Dang man... what's the point of even responding to a post if that's the best you can do to contribute?

I don't know you from Adam but based on the (thankfully) very limited interaction I have had I'd be inclined to say that you seem like a giant ass. If someone posting a question in a forum is a problem for you then might I suggest you don't bother reading or responding to them?

Anyway... there are tons of charges and lots of options and like anything you can spend as little or as much money as you like and you're running a risk of wasting money on either end of the spectrum.

I personally have the Triton and it's served me very well from day one. I think that for your purposes (going off of the fact that you'll likely be charging 3s and 4s batteries mainly) the Triton will be more than sufficient for your needs.

But in the spirit of full disclosure - I've never used anythign else. My local hobby shop sold me the triton when I was looking for a charger and they said it was a very good charger so I believed them. So far I haven't even thought twice about it - it's served me very, very well. A lot of the folks I fly with use many other different types of chargers and they have no complaints either. So just stick with something main stream and you'll be just fine.

I'm sure there are many people on here that can drone on for days and days about why it's important to get a $500 charger with a $400 power source and $20 cables and they are probably right on some level but it's just like audio equipment... you can spend as much as you want but at some point (for most people) the bang for the buck stops WELL short of the price you're paying.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Sep 21, 2011, 03:07 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Just read the problem thread (or started to read it) and while I'm not discounting the fact that people had these issues - I have not had anything even close to this happen to me with any of my batteries and I've probably charged about 500 cycles worth so far.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:21 PM
Joined Feb 2014
129 Posts
The Triton2 max charge current is 8A. So it sounds like 2ea 4000 mAh batteries in parallel (at 1C) is the limit...but, can I safely charge 4ea 6S 4000 mAh batteries with a parallel charge board? Would it charge then at 1/2C? Or is this charger limited to 2ea 4000 mAh batteries max? What would happen if you tried to charge 4ea 6S 4000 mAh batteries?
Maj.Duty is offline Find More Posts by Maj.Duty