HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2011, 09:40 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,979 Posts
Discussion
Best way to replace this expoxied control horn?

As you can see from the attached pics, this busted control horn is very securly epoxied to the foam elevator of a Hawk Sky.

I've got a new control horn to replace... what's the best way to do so? Trim off the old control horn and epoxy the new control horn to the old epoxy? Perhaps scoring the old epoxy to give some grab? Attach the new control horn just next to the base of the old control horn?

I'm assuming that the old epoxy is there to stay and there's no way of removing it short of cutting out the foam.
marhar is online now Find More Posts by marhar
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:27 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,937 Posts
If you have a dremel tool the newer "quick release" plastic cutoff tool would work well. I would carefully trim down the old horn until i start seeing epoxy/foam.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:45 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,332 Posts
Leave the base of the old horn attached to the foam.

Flatten the surface of the old horn base by sanding or grinding with a dremel tool.

Epoxy the new horn right on top of the old horn base.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:14 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,095 Posts
Would use my dremmel to take it down some with the cutting blade or with a grinding/sanding bit. Then score the surface as you say, clean up with acetone and use a good epoxy to glue the base of the new one over the old base. A faster dirtier fix would be to drill pilot holes for the new one and just mount it over the old base if the screws are long enough ... if your not 'into' pretty

Have a 24 hour epoxy for golf club repair and when I have doubts about glue holding, then use acetone to remove any residues and use the long curing epoxy, longer the cure time, better the bond.
immelguy is offline Find More Posts by immelguy
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:39 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,979 Posts
Thanks guys, great suggestions and everything worked perfectly.

I used a cutoff wheel to trim the old horn down as much as I could, ground it down with a sanding wheel, and then cross-hatched the surface with the cutoff wheel. Drilled through with a small bit, used toothpicks to hold everything together, and a quick epoxy job. It's drying now, and looks perfect.

Immelguy, it's a hawk sky, how into pretty can I be?
marhar is online now Find More Posts by marhar