Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:31 PM
He Reigns
United States, MI
Joined Apr 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racin06 View Post
Thanks...much appreciated, guys!
Greg is always very helpful, a great guy to deal with.
bdiesel3 is offline Find More Posts by bdiesel3
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:57 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,240 Posts
bdiesel3 was gracious to allow me to put 3 flights on his XL this evening. All I have to say is that this thing flies great. It was quite breezy this evening but it only made it more fun. I was doing low level tight outside loops and trying to touch the rudder at the bottom. Fun stuff. What made it better was how rock solid the XL is even in the wind.
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:09 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiesel3 View Post
Awesome pics! You mind posting the lengths of the various carbon rod truss pieces? Also, how are the trusses secured...with medium CA or hot glue? Thanks.
racin06 is offline Find More Posts by racin06
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:19 PM
He Reigns
United States, MI
Joined Apr 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Awesome pics! You mind posting the lengths of the various carbon rod truss pieces? Also, how are the trusses secured...with medium CA or hot glue? Thanks.
Thank you for your kind words. The trussing carbon rod lengths from front to back are as follows: 7.5", 5.5", 5.5", 5", 5", 7.25". The first truss goes from the front of the fuse to the center point of the wing spar, then from there to the aileron hinge point. After that it is pretty forgiving on how it is done. On my next XL I would change the two 5" trusses to 5.5" making the last truss 6.25". I would do this just to be more even down the sides of the fuse and distrubiting the "twist" load from rolls more evenly (imo). The wing trusses are 9" long, though this works great, I may go 10"-12" on the next XL. I sharpened the carbon rods with sand paper on each end and poked them into the EPP at least a 1/8", then removed them and put Welders glue in the holes in the fuse where I poked the carbon rods in and on the ends of the carbon rod. This holds really well and it takes quite a beating before they come loose. If one does come loose, I add some glue and put it back in place.
Last edited by bdiesel3; Oct 12, 2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:42 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,713 Posts
Quote:
EPP NEVER gets CA it will make a brittle joint. Hot glue is to heavy.

Welder adhesive or Beacon's foam tack should be used on all construction.
WMParkFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by WMParkFlyer; Oct 12, 2011 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Brad beat me to it
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:39 AM
TAS Foamies was here!!!!!!!!
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
261 Posts
Anyone need a paint job ?
ThatGuy123 is offline Find More Posts by ThatGuy123
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:39 AM
Dr.
Nederland, NB, Grave
Joined Jul 2011
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMParkFlyer View Post
EPP NEVER gets CA it will make a brittle joint. Hot glue is to heavy.

Welder adhesive or Beacon's foam tack should be used on all construction.
And 5 - 10 or 15 minute epoxy.
Glues good, or is this to heavy too
Or gorilla glue, is not that heavy and glues very well, filles the little holes to..
Or are the named ones just the best for these foam planes..
HaeMKa is offline Find More Posts by HaeMKa
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:37 PM
God is Good
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jan 2011
1,094 Posts
Looks amazing Greg! Is the XL to big to fly at the grandville gym? I love the servo stray idea you came up with! Looks a lot easier and faster! Another homerun for WMPF! Keep up the good work!
TMAC4123 is offline Find More Posts by TMAC4123
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UMX Icon A5 Lights!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:49 PM
Team Hillbilly 🐘💨
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2010
960 Posts
Just got some welders from lowes. I am all set for my build. The servo platform is awesome. If you burn one out just un screw and replace. I hate having to cut servos out of airframes
bullittjeff is offline Find More Posts by bullittjeff
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:23 PM
He Reigns
United States, MI
Joined Apr 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullittjeff View Post
Just got some welders from lowes. I am all set for my build. The servo platform is awesome. If you burn one out just un screw and replace. I hate having to cut servos out of airframes
The servo platforms are great, I agree. I like you avatar, cool picture.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:35 PM
Team Hillbilly 🐘💨
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2010
960 Posts
thanks here's a few more.
bullittjeff is offline Find More Posts by bullittjeff
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:47 PM
Joined Dec 2006
2,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiesel3 View Post
Thank you for your kind words. The trussing carbon rod lengths from front to back are as follows: 7.5", 5.5", 5.5", 5", 5", 7.25". The first truss goes from the front of the fuse to the center point of the wing spar, then from there to the aileron hinge point. After that it is pretty forgiving on how it is done. On my next XL I would change the two 5" trusses to 5.5" making the last truss 6.25". I would do this just to be more even down the sides of the fuse and distrubiting the "twist" load from rolls more evenly (imo). The wing trusses are 9" long, though this works great, I may go 10"-12" on the next XL. I sharpened the carbon rods with sand paper on each end and poked them into the EPP at least a 1/8", then removed them and put Welders glue in the holes in the fuse where I poked the carbon rods in and on the ends of the carbon rod. This holds really well and it takes quite a beating before they come loose. If one does come loose, I add some glue and put it back in place.
Thanks for the great information. Based upon your measurements, it appears that the aileron servo tray should rest against the upper fuse tab to the front and the rudder/elevator servo tray should rest against the upper fuse tab to the rear. Is this correct?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:56 PM
Joined Dec 2006
2,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullittjeff View Post
thanks here's a few more.
Very nice 3DHS airplanes! I own the 3DHS 72" Extra 330SC running an 8S electric setup. I don't have any action photos of my 72SC, only video...not to hijack the thread...

3D Hobby Shop 72" Extra 330SC - June 26, 2011 (5 min 46 sec)