HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:51 PM
Team Hillbilly 🐘💨
bullittjeff's Avatar
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2010
960 Posts
10x3.8 it is then. Thanks
bullittjeff is online now Find More Posts by bullittjeff
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2011, 09:15 PM
He Reigns
bdiesel3's Avatar
United States, MI
Joined Apr 2011
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullittjeff View Post
Just ordered one up. I'm going with the suppo motor and esc. Hk 9 gram servos and gens ace 3s 800 batteries. I ordered 10x 4.7 props but prob will try 10x 3.8 also. I love the looks of this plane and also the size. Should do really well in the back yard.
I also fly with the gens ace 3s 800mah, works great for this plane. I have also used the rino 3s 750 mah. I think this plane will work great on 3s 750mah -1000mah range. If you noticed my earlier post, I am trying a 3s 1550mah gens ace just for fun. Just placed more velco on for moving the battery back as it was too nose heavy to really know how the plane handles the battery, though suprizingly it did not seem too bad.

On another note, I placed washers behind the left side of the motor for some right thrust. Maybe to picky for a foamy, but it is fun to try.
bdiesel3 is offline Find More Posts by bdiesel3
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:17 AM
Registered User
r/cdawg's Avatar
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
Which prop do you feel that it did 3D best with?
For 3d definitely the APC 10x3.8. I also liked the GWS 9x5DD but felt the 10x3.8 was a little better.
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:21 AM
Registered User
r/cdawg's Avatar
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiesel3 View Post
I also fly with the gens ace 3s 800mah, works great for this plane. I have also used the rino 3s 750 mah. I think this plane will work great on 3s 750mah -1000mah range. If you noticed my earlier post, I am trying a 3s 1550mah gens ace just for fun. Just placed more velco on for moving the battery back as it was too nose heavy to really know how the plane handles the battery, though suprizingly it did not seem too bad.

On another note, I placed washers behind the left side of the motor for some right thrust. Maybe to picky for a foamy, but it is fun to try.
This is what I like about flying foamies. They are forgiving enough to allow you to experiment with different set ups and the XL is about as forgiving of a foamy as I've flown. Just a really nice plane.

By the way how'd the right thrust work out?
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:37 AM
Registered User
BryanEW710's Avatar
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg View Post
For 3d definitely the APC 10x3.8. I also liked the GWS 9x5DD but felt the 10x3.8 was a little better.
I'm surprised...I would have thought the 10x4.7 would have more thrust (which is what I'd think you would want for 3D).
BryanEW710 is online now Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:10 AM
He Reigns
bdiesel3's Avatar
United States, MI
Joined Apr 2011
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg View Post

By the way how'd the right thrust work out?
So far, it seems to work well. I going to try some more flights before I know if I want to leave it or not though.
bdiesel3 is offline Find More Posts by bdiesel3
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:59 PM
Registered User
r/cdawg's Avatar
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
I'm surprised...I would have thought the 10x4.7 would have more thrust (which is what I'd think you would want for 3D).
The 10x4.7 is to much for the motor. It did have better thrust but it got real hot real fast. It still gets warm with the 10x3.8 but not nearly as hot.
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:12 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Azarr's Avatar
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
I'm surprised...I would have thought the 10x4.7 would have more thrust (which is what I'd think you would want for 3D).
At the same current level, the lower pitch will create more thrust, the higher pitch more speed.

In actuality you see more thrust because the higher pitch prop is drawing more current. If the system can handle it then it's great, if not then ......

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:30 PM
Registered User
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,298 Posts
Currently working on building my XL. So, I'm assuming the servos are secured to the wooden trays by two screws, but how are the trays secured to the foam...with glue? Also, any measurements available on where I need to cut the servo holes in the foam?
racin06 is online now Find More Posts by racin06
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:42 PM
Registered User
WMParkFlyer's Avatar
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racin06 View Post
Currently working on building my XL. So, I'm assuming the servos are secured to the wooden trays by two screws, but how are the trays secured to the foam...with glue? Also, any measurements available on where I need to cut the servo holes in the foam?

Glue the wood down with welder adhesive and you can then screw or glue down the servos.
WMParkFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:28 AM
TAS Foamies was here!!!!!!!!
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
261 Posts
Well I am hoping to get my xl soon but I don't have the cash unless someone wants to donate one to me jk
ThatGuy123 is offline Find More Posts by ThatGuy123
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:27 AM
Registered User
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMParkFlyer View Post
Glue the wood down with welder adhesive and you can then screw or glue down the servos.
Thanks. Does each pair of servo trays go cut in half or is the upper fuse actually resting on the middle of each servo tray pair? I can't tell from your photos. Also, do you have any measurements/distances of where the servo trays go installed?
racin06 is online now Find More Posts by racin06
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:35 PM
Registered User
WMParkFlyer's Avatar
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racin06 View Post
Thanks. Does each pair of servo trays go cut in half or is the upper fuse actually resting on the middle of each servo tray pair? I can't tell from your photos. Also, do you have any measurements/distances of where the servo trays go installed?

The servo tray is designed to rest under the top fuse. There are 2 cuts in the tray to help align it to the fuse.

I scaled up the picture and took some measurements. They can be viewed when you open the picture. We will get these in the build instructions when we get them completed.

Greg M
WMParkFlyers.com
WMParkFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:36 PM
He Reigns
bdiesel3's Avatar
United States, MI
Joined Apr 2011
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMParkFlyer View Post
The servo tray is designed to rest under the top fuse. There are 2 cuts in the tray to help align it to the fuse.

I scaled up the picture and took some measurements. They can be viewed when you open the picture. We will get these in the build instructions when we get them completed.

Greg M
WMParkFlyers.com
I tried to upload my build pictures last night and ran into some problems, I will try again tonight. I also have measurments, but not as accurate as gregs. Here they are with just a ruler.
bdiesel3 is offline Find More Posts by bdiesel3
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:06 PM
Registered User
WMParkFlyer's Avatar
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiesel3 View Post
I tried to upload my build pictures last night and ran into some problems, I will try again tonight. I also have measurments, but not as accurate as gregs. Here they are with just a ruler.

Wow ... my measurements were on the money, nice to know I got the scale correct in the picture ... Note My measurements are to the front edge of the servo cutout.
WMParkFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product West Michigan Park Flyers EPP-MX2 WMParkFlyer 3D Foamies 758 Dec 22, 2014 09:44 AM
New Product West Michigan Park Flyers EPP McFoamy Plus the Free Simulator Download WMParkFlyer 3D Foamies 2922 Dec 22, 2014 09:43 AM
Discussion Yak 55 From West Michigan Park Flyers mt_100 3D Foamies 5 Sep 02, 2010 07:03 PM