HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:25 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,279 Posts
Which Hacker motor for XL?

I think I will go with a Hacker this time on the XL. Which Hacker should I use? The Hacker A20-50S is a little smaller with similar KV and power numbers (100 watts) as the recommended Suppo motor, yet is recommended for only 4 - 8 oz. models . The Hacker A20-26M is similar in size and KV as the Suppo, yet much more power (150 watts) and is recommended for 7 - 12 oz. models . Lastly, all of the Hacker motors recommended for 12 - 18 oz. models are 200 watt motors with the closest to the Suppo being the Hacker A20-20L; however, this motor is a little larger and heavier versus the Suppo. Any advice on the proper Hacker motor. I'm a little unsure . Thanks.
racin06 is offline Find More Posts by racin06
Last edited by racin06; Sep 27, 2011 at 10:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:46 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racin06 View Post
I think I will go with a Hacker this time on the XL. Which Hacker should I use? The Hacker A20-50S is a little smaller with similar KV and power numbers (100 watts) as the recommended Suppo motor, yet is recommended for only 4 - 8 oz. models . The Hacker A20-26M is similar in size and KV as the Suppo, yet much more power (150 watts) and is recommended for 7 - 12 oz. models . Lastly, all of the Hacker motors recommended for 12 - 18 oz. models are 200 watt motors with the closest to the Suppo being the Hacker A20-20L; however, this motor is a little larger and heavier versus the Suppo. Any advice on the proper Hacker motor. I'm a little unsure . Thanks.

I would go with the A20-26M I think the A20-20L would be too much for this plane. This is the data I found for the Suppo A2208-17 1100KV if you look at the data for the 3 cell on 9 x 5 DD it should give you 21oz of thrust. That is better than a 1.5 to 1 power to weight ratio.

http://www.motocalc.com/index.html has a good motor calc data calculator.

This is what it came up with for the hacker A20-26M 22.5 oz of thrust with a APC 10 x 3.8 prop the spec sheet recommends a 9 x 4.7 but I think it could handle the 10 at a lower pitch.

GM
WMParkFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:40 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,240 Posts
I agree with Greg in going with the A20-26M. The A20-20L will be way too much. On my XL I like the recommended Suppo with an APC 10x3.8 slo fly prop which provides gobs of thrust and a nice consistant speed envelope.
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Sep 29, 2011, 08:04 AM
He Reigns
United States, MI
Joined Apr 2011
286 Posts
Put some flights on the XL last night with r/cdawg, we also took some video and hope to get it up soon....stay tuned.
bdiesel3 is offline Find More Posts by bdiesel3
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:01 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,654 Posts
Really looking forward to this one! The McFoamy seems pretty cool, but I like that this one will be big enough that I don't need to buy new (smaller) batteries!
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:44 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,240 Posts
Video

bdiesel3 let me bind to his XL (I fly mode one) and put a flight on it while he videoed. The flying is nothing special, as an old guy like me will never be competing in the Extreme Flight Championships or King 50, but hopefully you will get the idea of how nice of a flying plane the McFoamy XL is.

bdiesel3's set up is as follows:

Eflite Park 370
GWS 9x5DD prop
Suppo 20a esc
Gens Ace 3s/800 25c pack
Hitec HS-65 servos
Spectrum AR6100 receiver.

The plane flies great with plenty of power as seen in the video. The larger McFoamy is nice for outdoor flying as it handles wind much better than the little EPP planes.

McFoamy XL (4 min 40 sec)
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:53 AM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg View Post
bdiesel3 let me bind to his XL (I fly mode one) and put a flight on it while he videoed. The flying is nothing special, as an old guy like me will never be competing in the Extreme Flight Championships or King 50, but hopefully you will get the idea of how nice of a flying plane the McFoamy XL is.

bdiesel3's set up is as follows:

Eflite Park 370
GWS 9x5DD prop
Suppo 20a esc
Gens Ace 3s/800 25c pack
Hitec HS-65 servos
Spectrum AR6100 receiver.

The plane flies great with plenty of power as seen in the video. The larger McFoamy is nice for outdoor flying as it handles wind much better than the little EPP planes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djieizhZpj8
Mike, you don't give yourself enough credit on your flying skills. I don't know many people that can do a knife edge figure eight with the wing tips on the gym floor or even attempt it in the first place.

Thanks for shooting some video ... now we need to get one of these in Jase Dussias neighborhood.

Pick out your colors Jase we have one cutting in the laser this morning !!!

GM
WMParkFlyers.com
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:08 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,240 Posts
Yes, some video by Jase will really demonstrate what the XL can do in capable hands.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:10 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg View Post
Yes, some video by Jase will really demonstrate what the XL can do in capable hands.
I'm also curious how it can do in normal hands--'cuz I sure ain't "capable"...yet
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:19 AM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,714 Posts
Video is on the web site.

You want video in normal unskilled hands ... that means I might have to finish my build and shoot some crash tests !!! You guys keep me in the shop most of the time, so my stick time is even more limited than it used to be.

GM
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2011, 03:54 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMParkFlyer View Post
You want video in normal unskilled hands ... that means I might have to finish my build and shoot some crash tests !!! You guys keep me in the shop most of the time, so my stick time is even more limited than it used to be.
lol...I'd like that.

It's really nice to see what a perfectly assembled plane can do when flown by a good pilot, but it'd be nice to see what a plane put together by and flown by a mere mortal would fly like, too.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:23 AM
Joined Dec 2006
2,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMParkFlyer View Post
I would go with the A20-26M I think the A20-20L would be too much for this plane. This is the data I found for the Suppo A2208-17 1100KV if you look at the data for the 3 cell on 9 x 5 DD it should give you 21oz of thrust. That is better than a 1.5 to 1 power to weight ratio.

http://www.motocalc.com/index.html has a good motor calc data calculator.

This is what it came up with for the hacker A20-26M 22.5 oz of thrust with a APC 10 x 3.8 prop the spec sheet recommends a 9 x 4.7 but I think it could handle the 10 at a lower pitch.

GM
I appreciate the information. I'm still not certain on flying the XL in my indoor venue. I posted the dimensions of my indoor flying area, along with a video of my flying me McFoamy on Post #24. As the manufacturer, do you believe the XL is suitable to fly in my indoor venue?
Last edited by racin06; Sep 30, 2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:31 AM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,714 Posts
Quote:
I appreciate the information. I'm still not certain on flying the XL in my indoor venue. I posted the dimensions of my indoor flying area, along with a video of my flying me McFoamy on Post #24. As the manufacturer of the XL, what is your opinion?
Racine06, I don't think it would be an issue flying in that space. The XL can slow down quite nicely. Based on your flying skills I think you will be fine.

GM
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:43 PM
Joined Dec 2006
2,279 Posts
Thanks...what diameter and approximate total length of carbon trussing is recommended for the XL?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:57 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Thanks...what diameter and approximate total length of carbon trussing is recommended for the XL?
Kit contents Include the following:
  • Plane painted, all hinges glued.
  • Motor Mount.
  • 6mm tube full length wing spar.
  • 3mm tube H-Stab spar.
  • Control linkage including E-Z connectors.
  • Wooden stand off set for control rod guides.
  • Wooden servo tray for dual aileron.
  • Wooden servo tray for rudder and elevator servo.
  • Carbon Fiber for wing and fuse trussing.
We include the trussing in the kit. We are going to include it an all the kits eventually.

We use 1.5mm for the trussing on this bird.

GM
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by WMParkFlyer; Oct 13, 2011 at 09:32 PM.