Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:33 PM
He Reigns
United States, MI
Joined Apr 2011
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philgriffin View Post
Question guys:
I've powered up the plane for the first time with the big yellow prop I got from WMPF. Held vertical, and at full power, the plane does not want to accelerate upwards from my hand with any real authority, unlike my 40" Juka, which is actually kind of hard to hold while doing the same test. Batteries are fully charged, throttle is set at 100% on the TX. Is this normal for this motor/battery set-up? (I realize the Juka/WMPF comparison may not be apples to apples, but it's just what I'm used to)
Not sure if I missed it, but what setup are you using? Prop size, motor size and KV, ESC and battery?
bdiesel3 is offline Find More Posts by bdiesel3
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:52 PM
Joined Aug 2008
84 Posts
Just the usual set-up for this plane as it comes from WMPF I guess. Not sure if there's more than one? Greg sent me the Suppo motor. It says BL-2208/17 on the side. I also have a Rhino 750 battery and a big yello, prop that says EP1047 on it. Sorry, this may not be much help. :-)
philgriffin is offline Find More Posts by philgriffin
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:00 PM
Joined Aug 2008
84 Posts
I was looking for my paperwork, but can't seem to locate it..
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:11 PM
He Reigns
United States, MI
Joined Apr 2011
282 Posts
I think that motor is 1100kv which should be about right. How many cell battery?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:11 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,629 Posts
EP1047 = 10x4.7 prop
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Dec 22, 2011, 07:13 PM
Joined Aug 2008
84 Posts
3 Cell, 750
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:06 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,670 Posts
Quote:
3 Cell, 750
Not sure why it seems that you are not getting enough power. I flew that same setup at the un-idome last year and was able to punch all the way to the top of the dome, 16 stories up.

I will try and do some bench tests on that setup this weekend and see if I can get a static thrust reading on my scale.
WMParkFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:21 PM
Joined Aug 2008
84 Posts
I should probably fly it before getting too concerned. It just doesn't seem to have the thrust of my Juka, which now that I look, is an 1100(+or-) kv also running on a 3 cell. The Juka's battery is a higher "C" rating, would that have an effect?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:41 PM
He Reigns
United States, MI
Joined Apr 2011
282 Posts
Quote:
I should probably fly it before getting too concerned. It just doesn't seem to have the thrust of my Juka, which now that I look, is an 1100(+or-) kv also running on a 3 cell. The Juka's battery is a higher "C" rating, would that have an effect?
By any chance, is the prop on backwards? That is a easy prop to get backwards. The "EP1047" should face away from the motor. It is just a thought, I maybe way off.

And yes, a higher "c" can make a difference depending on your setup. In this case I don't think you are trying to pull more amps then what your battery can handle, so according to specs, a higher "c" rated battery shouldn't make much difference.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:43 PM
Joined Aug 2008
84 Posts
Nah, it's pulling. Maybe I can fly it here in a day or so, and we'll see how it goes. I'm looking forward to it. Greg did a great job with the paint, my daughter just loves it.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:58 PM
He Reigns
United States, MI
Joined Apr 2011
282 Posts
Quote:
Nah, it's pulling. Maybe I can fly it here in a day or so, and we'll see how it goes. I'm looking forward to it. Greg did a great job with the paint, my daughter just loves it.
It was just a thought, trying to think of something to help. Let us know how it goes flying it.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:06 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,629 Posts
Dumb question, but is your Juka running on the same prop and power system? Kind of hard to compare the two.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:17 PM
Joined Aug 2008
84 Posts
True enough. The motors look similarly sized, for whatever that's worth. Props are the same size. That's why I prefaced that statement by saying it might not be apples to apples. I shouldn't even have brought it up til after the maiden.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:38 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Props are the same size.
Same pitch, too?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 07:36 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,211 Posts
Quote:
True enough. The motors look similarly sized, for whatever that's worth. Props are the same size. That's why I prefaced that statement by saying it might not be apples to apples. I shouldn't even have brought it up til after the maiden.
Hi Phil,

Another option for a prop on the 1100kv motor is the GWS 9x5DD. I have tried a bunch of props on that motor and this is my favorite. Keep an eye on the motor temp with the 10x4.7 as it could get quite warm.

You are going to love the XL. Having flown dozens of depron foamies in the 36" to 40" range the XL flies outstanding, and you get the piece of mind knowing it won't shatter if you make a mistake. I have thoroughly thrashed mine, and would have gone through more than a few depron planes, but it still keeps coming back for more.
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg