SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 05, 2011, 08:08 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper802 View Post
Probably because I took the photos while standing on a chair.
Oh yeah...that'd do it
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2011, 08:18 PM
United States, MD, Lexington Park
Joined Jun 2002
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMParkFlyer View Post
Dont forget to not glue dlwn where the servo trays are supposed to go.
I just glued the servo trays down and then glued the top over them. I hope that works out...
Reaper802 is offline Find More Posts by Reaper802
Old Dec 05, 2011, 08:41 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,720 Posts
Yes that is correct... I was concerned when I did'nt see them in pla e on the test fit.
WMParkFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2011, 08:43 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,720 Posts
Wow ... rhe droid thumbs arent working too well going down the road.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2011, 10:14 PM
Joined Jun 2002
438 Posts
Ok I've run into my first little issue with the build. Nothing serious but I'd figured I would ask. Built my carbon linkages and started to do the dry fit. The photo on page one of the thread shows the rudder linkage on the right side of the plane when looking from front to back. This puts the elevator on the left side.

My kit is not pre-cut like this:

Notice it is cut to run the elevator on the right side except the elevator horn slot is on the left side of the plane. Perhaps the elevator came pre-hinged up side down?

I think what may have happened was that the wing section was hinged up side down putting the elevator holes on the ride side instead of the left.

Ether way it shouldn't be a big deal. I should be able to cut a new elevator horn slot on the right side that mirrors the existing one on the left. Problem solved, I think...

Thoughts?
Old Dec 06, 2011, 10:17 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,671 Posts
I'd just cut a new slot.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Dec 06, 2011, 10:34 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Ok I've run into my first little issue with the build. Nothing serious but I'd figured I would ask. Built my carbon linkages and started to do the dry fit. The photo on page one of the thread shows the rudder linkage on the right side of the plane when looking from front to back. This puts the elevator on the left side.
You are correct in the fact that your wing was hinged on the wrong side. We just started cutting in all the slots and trussing on these kits ... yours was the first. You will need to move the rudder servo linkage to the hinge side and move the elevator to the other. The rudder needs to be controlled from the left side of the plane (the hinged rudder side) as you are sitting in the pilot seat to get the correct throws. Do what you can to correct this and get it in the air. Let us know what you need as far as replacement parts.

We will be sending you a new kit soon.

Greg M
WMParkFlyers.com
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by WMParkFlyer; Dec 07, 2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 07:18 PM
Joined Jun 2002
438 Posts
The pre-cut slots are great and made trussing a snap. I would suggest just adding the elevator guide holes to both sides in your drawing so it's impossible to get backwards from now on.

Quick question on the control horns: Which hole should I be using for aileron, rudder, and elevator for correct throw?

Now if that pesky HobbyKing box would just show up already I could finish this badboy... This is by far the longest I've ever had to wait for a HobbyKing order to arrive, must be the holiday season.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:23 AM
He Reigns
United States, MI
Joined Apr 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMParkFlyer View Post

We will be sending you a new kit soon.

Greg M
WMParkFlyers.com
This is another place where wmparkflyers shines, excellent customer service. I had a small problem a few weeks back and Greg handled it no questions asked.

My XL is still flying great, though the wind has been persistant lately, looking forward to a calm day....
bdiesel3 is offline Find More Posts by bdiesel3
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:32 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,720 Posts
West Michigan Park Flyers
Holiday hours of operation

West Michigan Park Flyers will be shutting down on Friday night December 23rd and will re open on Jan 2nd
We will be painting and shipping out orders during this time but we will not be taking in any orders over the phone or over paypal via website.

We would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy new year.

Please be safe during the celebrations
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2011, 01:19 PM
Joined Jun 2002
438 Posts
The long wait for HobbyKing drags on... Maybe this week.

Asked this a few post back and never got an answer: Quick question on the control horns: Which hole should I be using for aileron, rudder, and elevator for correct throw?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:14 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,243 Posts
Quote:

Asked this a few post back and never got an answer: Quick question on the control horns: Which hole should I be using for aileron, rudder, and elevator for correct throw?
I typically like to set it up for maximum throws to begin with and adjust from there. I used HS-65 servos on my XL and on the ailerons I used the outer hole, and the middle hole for rudder and elevator. I did have to reduce the throws some to suit my flying style.
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Dec 13, 2011, 08:12 AM
He Reigns
United States, MI
Joined Apr 2011
286 Posts
Quote:

I usually start with the top hole and see how the throws are, if I need more then I move them down. Be sure for the elevator and rudder to do this before you glue the guides in the fuse, otherwise it could be difficult to change the hole location.
bdiesel3 is offline Find More Posts by bdiesel3
Old Dec 13, 2011, 08:40 AM
Joined Jun 2002
438 Posts
I should be looking for about 45* of throw correct?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:27 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,243 Posts
Quote:
I should be looking for about 45* of throw correct?
45 degrees would be fine for most 3d and aerobatic flying.

For max 3d I am running about 60 degrees on the elevator, the rudder touches the elevator at max throw, and probably 60 degrees on ailerons.
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg