HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2011, 07:11 PM
Joined Sep 2008
67 Posts
Discussion
Full 3d hot wire cut foam trainer/sport plane

I have flown 3d planes for a while but My first plane was a rc powers extra 300. I could fly it but not great. I would not recommend this. It is definitely a great plane but not for beginners. I have made and owned 4 or 5 planes since and I recently decided to make a non profile foamy trainer to just glide and swoop around the local park. i had some insulation foam lying around so I built a hot wire bow and using airfoil plans from a french model aviation magazine I cut templates and made a two piece wing. My wing was fully symmetrical but a flat bottomed airfoil would probably be better for beginners. One thing I really like about my design is that i can change out my wings for slower or faster flight and because it is rathe large about 51 inches it is very stable. I have flown it in enough wind the I had to hold it on to the ground so it didn't blow away and it still flew. Granted it was a real handful to fly but it flew. On a dead calm day though it is completely the opposite. It practically flies itself. On a two cell pack the vertical performance is not great but with a 3 cell pack and ailerons it is be a joy to fly. it was a first build for me with a hot wire and I would definitely recommend trying out this technique. Its not for everyone but for the price the strength the great flying abilities and most important the ease of fixing it would be a great fist plane. If people want I can post pdf plans but don't expect those for a while.
acdcrocks4 is offline Find More Posts by acdcrocks4
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2011, 07:40 PM
Joined Sep 2008
67 Posts
paint

if anyone has ideas for a cool paint job tell me
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:25 PM
Joined Sep 2008
67 Posts
pdfs

What do you guys think should I make pdfs? Ill have a flight video up soon.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 07:11 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,745 Posts
Nice job Rocks!!!!

Pretty good job with early hot wire use !

Might I suggest that on your next wing that you " Block or Blank out" all six sides of the panel. Take a small cut off both top and bottom and then make the panel the size of the plan form or leave about 1/2 inch at the leading edge. This relieves stress's in the foam. The Blank in the picture started out as 1 1/2 inch foam and is now I 1/4 inch foam.

Next using 2 templates ( Top and Bottom ) with lead in and lead out ramps, start with the bottom template. Attach it to the foam with the trailing edge matching the trailing edge of the foam and start your cut at the leading edge. Then without moving anything remove the bottom template and attach the top template. Make the second cut starting once again at the leading edge. Remove the template, then the weights. (This panel about 15 inches long had 35 pounds of weight on it. It is the root panel for a DLG that has 3 panel on each side, a total of 6 panels make one wing!)

Next separate the pieces carefully! That trailing edge is going to be thin and straight! To make a thicker trailing edge move the template back until you get the desired thickness, minus the wire kerf.

You can find a lot of info about Hot Wiring in the Hand Launch and Composite forums! As I don't hang out here often feel free to shoot me a PM with any questions that you might have, I'll answer them!

Blue Skies................Tim
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD