HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by leccyflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 05:57 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Discussion
End of an era as Youngleccy leaves the nest.

I came back into the hobby of aeromodelling in 1993, soon after my boy was born. My idea was that it would be a great hobby for us to share and so, when he was a baby I embarked on learning to fly and a bit later, when he was 6 or 7 years old, he'd be ready to start flying models.

As a result, we've enjoyed some great times together at various flying fields around the country and made some great friends.

This weekend was the weekend when my boy left home, as a young man, to take up his place at University and start his career. It was quite an emotional weekend - even though he's only a couple of hours away, it's still a wrench.

Made all the more so by yesterday being the first club fun-fly event that he's ever missed. There was a big hole in my heart yesterday at the club field and something of the end of an era. One consolation though was that a clubmate, whose son went off to University this time last year, enjoyed a great day with his lad, who was back home for the holidays - so I have that to look forward to

So, I thought I'd put a few pictures up here in my blog of those earlier days and some very happy memories.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Last edited by leccyflyer; Jan 07, 2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Removed pictures
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2011, 09:39 AM
Cumming, GA USA
Joined Jan 2011
222 Posts
Young Boy

I hear ya. My son left for college a month ago. He did not fly RC but I coached him in football for 8 years and lacrosse for 5. He pumps iron with me, he is also a 3rd degree black belt. When he left I just looked at the pics all over the house of all the fun times we had. I was happy but sad in a way and it has been strange without him home. He is only 2 hours away as well. A new era begins of our young men now.
warwickcorvette1 is offline Find More Posts by warwickcorvette1
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:41 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Indeed it does.

I did the football coaching thing too, but hung my boots up about three years ago. Happy memories of that too, and those activities provide lessons in life that are invaluable, about working as a team.

Best wishes and best of luck to you and your boy in that new era.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 07:35 AM
into the wild blue yonder
United States, OR, Dundee
Joined Dec 2010
647 Posts
You should be proud of yourself, sounds like you did a awsome job...congrats...Your son and you will allways have a special bond, with flying being the common thread. What I love about this hobby is it gives the young and old both so much satisfaction at the end of the day, not to mention the chance to hang out together...I am a new empty nester myself and fianly was able to get into the hobby, as I had all girls and they were not intrested in flying. anyways pat on the back for being there for your boy...
Barney Boy is online now Find More Posts by Barney Boy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Quad racing
Old Sep 26, 2011, 01:23 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,498 Posts
My, doesn't time fly!

It seems only a few years ago that I first met you and Tim (via this ver forum too....)

You've always been a sort of inseperable double act in my books, so I expect you'll tend to make up for lost time in the Uni holidays in the future. Kudos to you and Jill for being a great parents!

Give him my best regards will you?

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:15 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Thanks Tim, I'll do that.

As you're aware, yourself, Barney and Kilowatt Kemp are all heroes in Tim's eyes and he always greatly enjoyed flying with you guys. We'll really have to get together when the holidays roll around.

Mrs L always viewed mobile telephones as the work of the devil, but she's performed a 180 degree turn in the past week, as the budding student "chef" can ring home to find out what he has to do with strange ingredients like fish fingers and left over pizza to make them edible, He's just rung her a few minutes ago, so she's happy now.