Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 29, 2001, 11:49 AM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,861 Posts
To opualuan re: saw...

These small circular saws are hard to find and aren't cheap when you do come across them. The only place I know that carries them is www.micromart.com.

I have two saw setups. The best one is the saw arrangement on my Unimat lathe. I use a fine-tooth milling machine slitting saw and can slice up 1/16" sq. balsa strips that are smooth and square. The advantage of this system is the saw table rests on the lathe carrage so I can use the lead screw to make micrometer-like adjustments to the cut.

I also have a micro-type saw purchased from Micromart a while back. If set up with the proper blade (slitting saw or similar) that has no set to the teeth and is polished, it does a good job. The only drawback is it takes a good bit of fiddling to get the fence set correctly to cut small strips. Keep in mind if you use a slitting saw you will probably have to have a special washer or mandrel machined as these saws have a pretty large hole in the center. To purchase these saws go to www.grizzly.com.

As I have mentioned once before on this BBS, the best thing about cutting your own strips is the ability to use the best wood for the job and to be able to select strips that were sawn adjacent to each other. This will give you fuselage longerons that are equal in stiffness and helps to avoid out-of-alignment fuselages.

Good luck!
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2001, 11:59 AM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,861 Posts
To bjsiegel@texas.net

Re: "Tolerant Wife/Girlfriend - They make great human clamps and work wonderfully when assembling/applying glue to multiple complex shapes.

WARNING: Wife/Girlfriend are a high maintenance item. But the fringe benefits can be wonderful!"

Yes, but can you put them in a drawer and not have to bother with them until they are needed the next time?
Old Oct 29, 2001, 01:21 PM
Joined Feb 2001
144 Posts
A hard Arkansas whetstone. Great for extending the life of hobby knife blades. Just a couple of swipes every once in a while.

I bought a ZONA mini block plane a while back. A piece of junk. Hope their saws are better.
john mcm is offline Find More Posts by john mcm
Old Oct 29, 2001, 05:46 PM
Gravitationaly Challenged
La Canada, CA USA
Joined Oct 2000
354 Posts
Bamboo skewers - these things are great for applying Epoxy glue into tight spots. Kinda like bigger longer toothpicks. They can also be used when you need a small dowell. Not "a gotta have" - just a nice cheap addition to the workbench.
Regards, Jay
jmelzer is offline Find More Posts by jmelzer
Old Oct 29, 2001, 09:08 PM
USA, NY, Chestnut Ridge
Joined Jun 2000
1,694 Posts
Better than bamboo skewers for spreading epoxy:

Starbucks coffee stirs. Price is right too. Buy a cup of coffee and stock up on mixing sticks.

-B
Ben Diss is offline Find More Posts by Ben Diss
Old Oct 30, 2001, 11:57 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by planeman
To BEC...

My old Sears jigsaw is one that sits on a table rather than the hand-held one I believe you are referring to (sounds like we must be a couple of old farts to have this stuff). It uses 6" pin-type blades that I can find at any hardware store.

HOWEVER...I have converted non-pin type jeweler's saw blades to pin-type by cutting the pin ends off of a pin-type blade and soldering them onto a non-pin blade by overlapping the joint about 1/4" and binding it with fine brass wire before soldering. I suggest you buy a 6" pin-type blade and cut one end off of it, shorten the blade, then bind and solder the pin end back on.
Nope, mine's a tabletop unit, too. If I were at home now I'd take a quick picture and attach it.

It never occurred to me to modify blades to make some to fit - but it just may come to that! The 3 inch blades the Dremel saw uses and the 5 inch (I think, rather than 6) that just about all the currently available saws use just won't work.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Oct 30, 2001, 12:28 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
anyone used this micromark arbor table saw? looks very cool and compact (9"x11" footprint)... specifically mentions using it on balsa.

http://www.dxmarket.com/micromark/products/80463.html

check it out.
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Oct 30, 2001, 01:27 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,861 Posts
Re: Microlux table saw.

I believe this is the updated and "modernized" version of the saw I purchased from Micromart a number of years back. I mentioned this in one of my above posts and as I pointed out, it isn't cheap.

This should do an excellent job. The key elements to getting a good sawing operation for small wood pieces are:

1. A very fine toothed saw with polished edges and no set to the teeth. This may have to be a slittling saw designed for milling machines (see earlier post) and may have to be modified by machining a special mounting washer/arbor to adapt the large hole in the saw blade to the smaller arbor on the saw. You may also need to have the sides of the blade hollow ground to provide relief from friction when cutting hardwoods and some softwoods. This can be done at many places that specialize in industrial tool sharpening for machine tools.

2. The fence MUST be square to the saw blade. There is probably a way to adjust this on the saw, usually by loosening the table from the body of the saw and shifting it a little.

3 The fence MUST stay square to the saw blade after it is moved. In addition, I would recommend the ACCURISER II attachment as it will certainly help cutting strips.

The rest of the attachments you can make by copying what you see on the web site.

All in all, what I have purchased in the past from Micromart has been good sound stuff although it is usually overpriced when I can find the same thing elsewhere, which I often can't.

Oh, and one more thing. Remove that saw guard. You can't do any real work with it on. Its only there because the manufacturer's lawyers say it must be there for anti-lawsuit purposes.

What the Hell, its only money. Spend it before your wife does.
Old Oct 30, 2001, 10:20 PM
Schaumburg,Il,USA
Joined Apr 2001
256 Posts
Spent Gel-Cell batteries! Perfect as weights to hold parts while glue dries.
rkrishnan is offline Find More Posts by rkrishnan
Old Oct 31, 2001, 11:20 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,341 Posts
Cordless drills... 7.2 to 9.6 volts.. extra batteries for each..
and those quick-change bits..
Most useful accessories for the cordless Dremel
3 sizes of sanding drums, with various grades of grit..
The Rotozip router and spiral cutters..
A rotary saw blade
A 9 inch 2 or 3 wheel bandsaw..
A good drill press..
Duplicate sets of screwdrivers and wrenches.. one for home, the other in the field box.
Taps for the usual sizes of screws.. dies are less useful..
A stand/support at the field for those of us that can't bend any more..
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member