SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 26, 2001, 10:01 AM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,274 Posts
Here's one not mentioned i use ALL THE TIME.....

They're called alligator forceps and once you have a set you'll never understand how you managed without.....

Drop a screw ?? or better yet need to hold that teeeny servo arm screw down in the fuse WHILE you screw it in ?? Need to grab an servo wire ??.....Run an antenna wire out the side of the fuse, 6" back through a little hole ??

In all honesty - when Im in my shop and grab them, they go in my back pocket so i dont have to look for them again

Alan W
Alan W is online now Find More Posts by Alan W
Last edited by Alan W; Oct 26, 2001 at 10:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2001, 10:48 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,339 Posts
* A 'self healing' cutting mat. This will help your blades stay sharp much longer, make cleaner cuts, and keep you from cutting up the family furniture.

* A variable speed scroll saw. When you need it nothing else will do. Essential for cutting thick blocks of balsa, or any plywood parts. Be sure it has a quick-change blade too so you can cut inside holes.

* For my bad eyes, a flip up magnifying hood you wear. The benefit over a single magnifying glass is that you retain your stereo/binocular vision and it keeps both hands free. Get one for about $5 from Harbor Freight tools. (just be prepared to hear jokes when people see you wearing it)

* T bar sander

* For your Dremel tool, a universal chuck. Lets you stick anything in there up to 1/8" dia. Great for small drill bits etc.

* A digital volts/ohms/amps meter

* A de-soldering tool (solder 'sucker')

* Storage bins with lots of compartments for all the little bits

* A small 'square' for measuring 90' angles

* A Leatherman multi-tool on your belt for whenever you don't have any of the above.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Oct 26, 2001, 11:20 AM
United States, GA, Flowery Branch
Joined May 2001
1,345 Posts
Thanks, everyone for your terrific advice. I really appreciate the time and effort you take to post your information. My contribution concerns a digital electronic postal scale. The best one I've found, and happily, the least expensive, is the Sunbeam, Model SP5, with a 5 pound capacity. I found it on the shelf at my local Office Depot in Gainesville, GA. The non-sale price was only $29.99. This is a real bargain compared to the much more expensive Pelouze electronic scales carried at Office Depot/Office Max/Staples stores. Office Depot doesn't have the Sunbeam SP5 in its catalog or on the website, but luckily it was on the shelf. Check out the Postal Supplies section the next time you're in one of their stores.
Joel Shreenan is offline Find More Posts by Joel Shreenan
Old Oct 26, 2001, 01:38 PM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
Removable E-Z-Tak putty for holding things in place while you
work on them like soldering batteries together, or put a small
dab on a screw head to hold it to the screwdriver tip, or for
sticking your dog's feet to the cement floor so it won't run and
jump on your new model.

Here's a good price on a digital caliper. $49.95

http://sales.goldmine-elec.com/prodinfo.asp?prodid=3924
DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA
Last edited by DNA; Oct 26, 2001 at 03:42 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2001, 03:36 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,408 Posts
Don't forget real oldfashioned double edge blue blades--the best balsa and tissue cutters ever made. You can still get them if you look for them

Pat Daily
Pat Daily is online now Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Oct 26, 2001, 08:28 PM
EFlight=Fun,Big-T=BIG FUN
San Antonio, TX, USA
Joined Jan 2001
964 Posts
"The most outrageous one wins. "
Tolerant Wife/Girlfriend - They make great human clamps and work wonderfully when assembling/applying glue to multiple complex shapes.
WARNING: Wife/Girlfriend are a high maintenance item. But the fringe benefits can be wonderful!
bjsiegel@texas.net is offline Find More Posts by bjsiegel@texas.net
Old Oct 26, 2001, 10:13 PM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,760 Posts
$29.95 Digital Scale

Thanks to Joel Shreenan!
I'd been looking for a digital scale but figured I'd never find one within my budget. Then I read what Joel had found at Office Depot for $29.99. I ran out this afternoon but my local OD had a empty spot on the shelf, with a green sticker over the price. Disappointed, I started to leave but glanced up at the shelf above. On top of a case of envelopes were 2 scales!

After checking out the spec's, I bought one and couldn't be happier. He's right - it's a great buy! It'd be great to have one that meaured to .1 gram, or even to a .5 gram, but at this price and what I need it for, it's an awesome value! All of the higher priced models only measured to 2 grams, but this one measures to a gram.

Thanks Joel!
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Old Oct 28, 2001, 05:40 AM
T-52 over Seattle
Seattle
Joined Jun 2001
267 Posts
Don't forget the indispensable extra hands tool that is stored next to every soldering iron setup. The magnifying glass is optional, but handy.

Silver
Silver is offline Find More Posts by Silver
Old Oct 28, 2001, 11:16 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I can't belive nobody mentioned it:

Masking Tape! for holding stuff while the glue dries

Packing Tape, for permanent fixes
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Oct 28, 2001, 03:01 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
anyone have recommendations on a table-top saw apparatus that would be small but good at making accurate angled cuts in balsa sheets without tearing it to shreads? an x-acto and ruler aren't cutting it for the scratch-built plane I'm working on...
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Oct 28, 2001, 07:47 PM
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Sep 2001
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Silver
Don't forget the indispensable extra hands tool that is stored next to every soldering iron setup. The magnifying glass is optional, but handy.
Silver
As luck would have it, I found that exact model in the $4 bargin bin at the local hardware store when I refilled my propane tank last week- couldn't pass it up! I figured it was just a cheap knock-off, but apparently it isn't, lol. Now I'm glad I got it
Steve Fehr is offline Find More Posts by Steve Fehr
Old Oct 28, 2001, 08:54 PM
Schaumburg,Il,USA
Joined Apr 2001
256 Posts
Don't forget:

Pair of non magnetic tweezers
Box of toothpicks (for spreading glue, strengthening coroplast flutes)
Solder braid - also good for building battery jumpers
rkrishnan is offline Find More Posts by rkrishnan
Old Oct 28, 2001, 09:32 PM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,883 Posts
Well,

These are my "cant live withouts":

1. B&D Wizard(cordless two speed dremel like thingie...it uses versa pack batteries so I never have to wait to charge it..I rarely use the corded one anymore)

2. Wiha screwdrivers...absolutely the best

3. An old,old xacto spokeshave...great for shaping
LE's, or anything else with grain

4. All my permagrit sanding tools..they never wear out

5. Topflite monocote trim tool..I love this thing

Later,
David
David Hogue is online now Find More Posts by David Hogue
Old Oct 28, 2001, 10:10 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,439 Posts
Many of the above. Plus, German made micro reamers, from Westech. Perfect for reaming out props to a perfect fit. Many other uses.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Oct 28, 2001, 10:35 PM
Regiztered Uzer
Quebec, Canada
Joined Feb 2001
479 Posts
Honestly,

The only tools I just can't live without, as requested:

2 eyeballs
10 fingers

The rest is just nice to have...

ps a Dremel is good too when you can't spin a drill bit by hand at 5000 rpm...
Markz is offline Find More Posts by Markz