HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2011, 01:09 AM
British columbia
Joined Nov 2008
29 Posts
Discussion
Give me your detailed build list!

what are the best ESC Motor and servos for either of these kits? I have a JR X9503 & R921X Tx

Jets I have looked at

HobbyKing---
ViperJet Fiberglass 90mm EDF 1250mm (ARF)
ViperJet Composite 70mm EDF - 1050mm (ARF)
L-39 Albatros Fiberglass 70mm EDF Kit

Kyosho EP Jet Illusion DF45

I also like E-Flite Platinum series
Habu 32 DF ARF
LR-1A Pogo ARF 15e (yes I know this is not an EDF but I would consider it)

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!
drpower is offline Find More Posts by drpower
Last edited by drpower; Sep 19, 2011 at 07:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2011, 07:11 PM
British columbia
Joined Nov 2008
29 Posts
anyone....where do I start
Old Sep 19, 2011, 07:15 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
how about the new E-Flite F-4? combine that with the Stumax 80mm fan, or the upcoming Mach allor fan and you'll have a fantastic combo, for sure. the 80mm fan is the same fan for the Habu 32 also, in case you didn't know.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Sep 19, 2011, 07:19 PM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,839 Posts
What are you looking to-do? Go fast and don't care about flight times?? Do you want a balance of speed and duration? Do you care about how the fan sounds (high pitch vs quieted), and are you trying to make this work with batteries you already have? If so, how many cells are they and what is the C rating on them??

Lots of variables that make up a good combo .........
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Sep 19, 2011, 07:38 PM
British columbia
Joined Nov 2008
29 Posts
I should probably look toward a balanced speed to duration setup to match my current skill level. I have a Thunder Power 6S 3850Mah 65C and a Reedy 4S 5500Mah 60C. I am prepared to buy suitable batteries need be. As far as sound goes I don't care, in fact loud and scary is almost preferred. The most important thing for me is to have a really reliable and quality build.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 07:50 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
if you like loud and scary, the Mach alloy 90mm is for you. it's got power and scary sound to match. LOL.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Sep 19, 2011, 07:54 PM
Everett, WA
Joined Aug 2002
657 Posts
A better question: What other jets have you flown? If so what are you current setups?
eaticus is offline Find More Posts by eaticus
Old Sep 19, 2011, 08:09 PM
British columbia
Joined Nov 2008
29 Posts
This will be my first Jet, only flown a Parkzone J3 Cub and lots of Realflight basic sim. I have been running car and truck RC for 10 years. One is a 80Mph GTP2E 1/8 Onroad.

My knowledge is based with nitro and electric cars. I hope I did ok buying the JR X9503...Its in the mail as we speak. I can't surf the net with this limited and very slow internet on the ship I am on to learn about plane electronics, based on the planes I listed at the start of the thread... pick one and throw me your best combo of components to get, ESC, Servos, whatever else..The Mach alloy is a great start, now which one for what plane 80mm 90mm 70mm? I have a 6S 3850Mah 65C, should I get a second to get 12S like in this video?

MACH 90mm All Alloy EDF thrust test 2011-07-17 (1 min 12 sec)

I only get a 2 week vacation after I get home and then back to sea, so I want the parts there when I get home to build a plane as soon as I can. Thanks for any help you guys can give me, I really appreciate opinions from the experienced pros!
Old Sep 19, 2011, 08:20 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,454 Posts
You can do whatever you want but get video of the flight. IMHO going from a 40 mph basically rudder/elevator/throttle airplane to 90-120mph full house will be a bit of a stretch. Good luck but get video of the flight.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Sep 19, 2011, 08:23 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirX View Post
You can do whatever you want but get video of the flight. IMHO going from a 40 mph basically rudder/elevator/throttle airplane to 90-120mph full house will be a bit of a stretch. Good luck but get video of the flight.

Eric B.

+1

if you gotta have an EDF, get a BNF habu foamy (assuming your JR is 2.4 GHZ).
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Sep 19, 2011, 09:25 PM
British columbia
Joined Nov 2008
29 Posts
I ordered a JR X9503 2.4Ghz DSMX with an Rx. I can operate RC well, and I have watched enough videos of all sorts of planes including EDF. I work like a madman to be able to afford these toys so when I get home I want a sick plane to put together, and I don't plan on crashing but if I do then I do. What is the best ESC, motor, servos and battery config? I have an Eagle Tree V4 150A logger to install with this.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 09:29 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
well please buy a camera so we can share in the enjoyment.

get a foamy habu, they are tons of fun and it'll get you in the air within an hour of being home.

they are great planes, here's mine (crash at the end caused by antenna being pulled out of receiver, DOH!)

Parkzone Habu crash! with Dons BI3600 900watts (3 min 2 sec)
Old Sep 19, 2011, 09:52 PM
British columbia
Joined Nov 2008
29 Posts
OK thanks guys, and Gundamnitpete I'll take your advice. I found a NIB PZ Habu, and yes I'll get the video. which do you prefer, mounted on the Jet or from the ground? haha! Both maybe if I can. Thanks again but when you see me fly with some skill then you will have no choice but to let me in on what makes a good EDF tick.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:01 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
lol, well we aren't keeping anything from you, it's just alot of very general information you are asking for. there is no one best setup really. Most people select thier airframe, then they select thier power system depending on what they want(sport flying, speed, sound, price, compatability with parts they already have), then servos and such from there.

I suggest the habu cause it's great fun, and i know you'll like it. once you get your feet wet i'm sure you'll have a bit better understanding of what it is you're looking for
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:25 PM
Everett, WA
Joined Aug 2002
657 Posts
Well...
Going from 3-channel J-3 cub to a jet is skipping a few steps in-between. I will be very frank (although my name Dave), You chance of success is small... very very small... I hate to see hard-earned $$ to go down the drain...

However, it is possible. This is how it can be done: join a club near you and find someone that is capable of flying a jet and who will be willing to spend a lot (I mean A LOT) of time on a buddy-box with you. This means that he will have the primary TX and you will be on a buddy-box. That way, he can take control of your plane quickly when you are unable.

Try these guys: http://www.rcfcbc.com/site/

If that is not possible, May I suggest the following progression:

1. Parkzone J-3 (your current plane)

2. Naturally stable high-wing/shoulder-wing model with ailerons
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2250
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy892...y-rtf-24g.html

3. Parkzone T-28
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ4475

4. Foamy Habu
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ7075

Success at flying does not mean that you can take off and darting around in the sky and call it flying. It mean multiple successful take-offs, landing, mild aerobatic, flying in a prescribed pattern (i.e. race-track pattern) while maintaining control at all times before going to the next level airplane.

Looking at your location (British Columbia), you and I will be faced with the up-coming fall/winter weather. It is not the most ideal to learn how to fly, not to mention a jet.

I do not like to see folks fail and get discouraged. Success are build in small increments.

I hope that helps.

Dave
eaticus is offline Find More Posts by eaticus