HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2011, 03:36 PM
Tel Aviv-Yafo Sde Dov, Israel
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
Discussion
New HD video camera for onboard recording with Live AV out !

crashed 2 Sony Bloggie's in the past few months and was looking for something cheaper to record my flights and perhaps use it as the primary FPV cam.

Ordered this camera (or here) and tested it in the past few days on my Quad.

picture quality is better than I anticipated (As can be seen in the video), but do not expect Gopro quality, and there are many parameters to change via the internal OSD (very easy to operate) such as - Exposure value, white balance, PAL/NTSC...

the lens is a 140 degree - perfect for my applications. the form factor is also very convenient to attach to any plane/multicopter.

Was very pleased to find out that it has a live AV out also while recording with some delay (delay is noticable only while recording). perhaps it's the SD card I am using, not sure yet.

there is a built in battery which last over 1.5 hours so far. according to the instructions it can also be charged while recording.

when AV out is being used there are some OSD symbols in the corners of the screen displaying the battery status, resolution (HD for example) and timer. the date and hour can be turned off via the menu but the rest can't.

A convenient remote is included with the camera.

all in all seems like a good product for a good price (cost me 69$ including shipping).

Included a video of my first FPV flight with the Quad showing the camera performance (much better quality to watch in vimeo site) and some shots of the camera compared to the Sony Bloggie (for size preferance).

1st Quad FPV flight (4 min 54 sec)
oded mazor is offline Find More Posts by oded mazor
Last edited by oded mazor; Sep 18, 2011 at 03:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2011, 04:06 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,573 Posts
Looks not too bad....

Do you have recorded footage from the live out?
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Sep 18, 2011, 06:54 PM
Joined Nov 2005
675 Posts
how much does it weigh?
soulreaper is offline Find More Posts by soulreaper
Old Sep 18, 2011, 09:18 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,495 Posts
That's pretty good for $80. Does it seem solid like it will survive any better than a Bloggie?

Can you post comparison video to Bloggie and GoPro?
milo12 is online now Find More Posts by milo12
Old Sep 19, 2011, 01:34 AM
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
the camera itself is much more rugged than the Bloggie. it has a rubbery feel to it and seems like it can handle some abuse.

my Bloggie is out of order but just watch some of my other videos in Vimeo for comparison. do not have a Gopro. the Bloggie is a little smoother and better quality (60 fps vs. 30 fps) but does not handle different light conditions half as good as this one. in addition, wider angle add on lenses are needed to make the Bloggie's FOV usefull while this camera have an excellent 140 degree stock lens.
Bloggie however had no delay at all. still need to examine other SD cards in this one.

I think it weigh about 110 grams.

Don't have recording from the AV out yet, I'll look into it.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 06:55 AM
Joined May 2011
103 Posts
Hi, my friend, how long does the battery handle?
jvictorfc is offline Find More Posts by jvictorfc
Old Nov 09, 2011, 01:49 PM
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
tested the battery for 2+ hours constant record HD and there was 1/3 stripes left, so I am guessing up to 2.5-3 hours is the norm.

different SD cards made no difference, there is some delay with the live AV out.