HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Bad Karma, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 09:55 AM
Karma's Evil Twin Brother
USA, OH, Maineville
Joined Sep 2009
283 Posts
Discussion
End of the season draws near

As we get closer to that day in Ohio when the sun sets at 5, the cold wind comes out of the Northwest, and I put my transmitter away in favor of my shotguns and rifles (pheasants and coyotes beware), I thought this would be a good time to look back at this flying season, my third in the hobby.

I don't know about your neck of the woods, but Ohio had one of the wettest springs I can remember. We had 6 straight days of at least 1/2 inch of rain in May, and early June was not much better. I spend much of this time meticulously inspecting my new Parkzone P-47. It was the most amount of money I had ever put into a single plane. Electric retracts, flaps, and an Eflite 40 amp ESC. In retrospect, I should not have been so nervous.

June and July kept me pretty busy at work, but I found plenty of time in the evenings to fly most of my airplanes. The same group of kids in a neighborhood near my park regularly came to watch me fly, ask a million questions, and generally talk my ear off. Good kids, I answered all their questions I could, and did my best to get them interested in flight and the RC hobby. Here I learned that at the end of a long day, when all you want to do is fly in silence, the curiosity of kids can sometimes make for a less enjoyable flying experience.

I had my first catastrophic crash in mid August. I hit a light pole in a parking lot. I learned that depth perception and perspective can fool even young eyes with 20/20 vision. They say that you can't fly without occasionally crashing, and I didn't believe them. "I'm too good", "I have great attention to detail", "It won't happen to me", these were my arrogant thoughts when I would read other RC pilot's crash stories. I learned that yes, it can happen to me, and no, I'm not too good to crash.

My first two years spent flying RC was done largely in solitude. But this year, I did a good amount of flying with my best friend, who I managed to talk into the hobby for selfish reasons-I wanted to fly with somebody to do some formation flying. I sold him my old PZ T-28. This backfired, because I learned that in no time he will be a better pilot than I.

I learned to take my time with my mods. When I look at my old Supercub, my UM J-3 Cub, and my PZ Wildcat, I know now that if I had not been in such a hurry to get the planes airborne, I could've done a much better job on all of them, regardless of the mod.

With October right around the corner and I look at all the planes in my hanger, I am now learning that I might be an addict. I do have an addictive personality, and thankfully have managed to channel that into positive things over time. But does a guy NEED 12 airplanes? I suppose if this hobby involved need, then a lot of hobby shops would close their doors.

Finally I learned that some of my happiest moments over these last three years has been building a new plane, with my dog at my feet, with the Cincinnati Reds on TV. I guess that's the best a 32 year old with no kids can ask for. And I'm totally fine with that.
Bad Karma is offline Find More Posts by Bad Karma
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2011, 03:02 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
744 Posts
Good post, enjoyable to read.

Quote:
Finally I learned that some of my happiest moments over these last three years has been building a new plane, with my dog at my feet, with the Cincinnati Reds on TV. I guess that's the best a 32 year old with no kids can ask for. And I'm totally fine with that.
Great to hear about simple happy moments. Life is good!

I started in this hobby just over 3 years ago and bought a DX7, I figured that 20 models was complete overkill. Well, last weekend I bound to the 19th channel and have a new Heli that will use my 20th channel. Addictive? You bet!
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei